Six More Minutes to Knightfall bugged for people who had the original achievement unlocked years ago

Finally got it after multiple unsuccessful attempts within the time limits.

Try deleting Local.dat. Got it 1st try after deleting that file.

If doing that, take screenshots of your Audio and Video settings first. Deleting that file will reset those settings so it's easy to put them back the way you had. You will also need to re-enter your username & password.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

If doing that, take screenshots of your Audio and Video settings first. Deleting that file will reset those settings so it's easy to put them back the way you had. You will also need to re-enter your username & password.

There is no Local.dat file in either my main Guild Wars 2 folder or the Documents folder where all screenies etc. are stored. So I guess this solution isn't always applicable.

EDIT: And before someone asks, yes, I have "Show Hidden Files" turned on. It's still not there.

EDIT EDIT: Aha, finally found it! It's not actually in either of the above 2 folders, it's buried in a very obscure Windows directory. I'll delete it and test it out later today, hopefully. For others who might be trying to find it, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Local.dat will show you how to find it.

Edited by Zaxares.5419

44 minutes ago, Zaxares.5419 said:

There is no Local.dat file in either my main Guild Wars 2 folder or the Documents folder where all screenies etc. are stored. So I guess this solution isn't always applicable.

Search for %appdata% on your PC, open the file folder and go to Guild Wars 2 folder. It is a hidden folder.

Without it, you'll be inputting  your login data and will have to set your video and audio settings every time you log in.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

You can copy it to your desktop and then delete it from the folder.  Get the achievement and then paste it back.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

You can copy it to your desktop and then delete it from the folder.  Get the achievement and then paste it back.

Why would you want to save a corrupted file? That file accumulate junk over time and may cause other issues.

When you log in, just check the box again for auto-login and it just take a couple of minutes to restore your settings. A fresh copy will be created in the folder. I routinely delete that file if I come across any issue.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Why would you want to save a corrupted file? That file accumulate junk over time and may cause other issues.

When you log in, just check the box again for auto-login and it just take a couple of minutes to restore your settings. A fresh copy will be created in the folder. I routinely delete that file if I come across any issue.

What makes you think that it's corrupted and not just a programming error on ArenaNet's side tied to the file?

• Confused 2

Just now, mythical.6315 said:

What makes you think that it's corrupted and not just a programming error on ArenaNet's side tied to the file?

That makes no sense at all. Of course there's a bug preventing the achievement from completing. Deleting that file will restore it to the default setting. If that file is preventing the execution, then it must have accumulated some extraneous code that caused it to do so. I would call that corrupted.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

That makes no sense at all. Of course there's a bug preventing the achievement from completing. Deleting that file will restore it to the default setting. If that file is preventing the execution, then it must have accumulated some extraneous code that caused it to do so. I would call that corrupted.

It would be an error on their side because the local.dat file should not be affecting achievement progress at all; it shouldn't be interacting with the game like that.  That issue has nothing to do with whether the file itself is corrupted or not.  It being corrupted is a claim that you came up with because you coincidentally got credit for the achievement.  I did the same things as you with a new local.dat and still did not get credit.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

It would be an error on their side because the local.dat file should not be affecting achievement progress at all; it shouldn't be interacting with the game like that.  That issue has nothing to do with whether the file itself is corrupted or not.  It being corrupted is a claim that you came up with because you coincidentally got credit for the achievement.  I did the same things as you with a new local.dat and still did not get credit.

Pointless arguing over something like that. This is not the 1st time I got some issue resolved by deleting it and nor am I the only person to do so. Ask yourself why there's a Wiki page on it and why the Anet staff recommended doing so? And why a default setting (which deleting the file will do) will resolve some of the issues? If you think it's just my claim, so be it.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Pointless arguing over something like that. This is not the 1st time I got some issue resolved by deleting it and nor am I the only person to do so. Ask yourself why there's a Wiki page on it and why the Anet staff recommended doing so? And why a default setting (which deleting the file will do) will resolve some of the issues? If you think it's just my claim, so be it.

Because Anet staff recommended so?  Did you perchance read the first post in your link to get the context or are you intending to use that post of theirs in every situation imaginable?  I tested your claim and I did not get credit for it.  So no, it's not the local.dat file causing problems.

What is more likely to be the case, or at least more likely than a corrupted local.dat file, is one of the following:

• They copy and pasted the same code as before as we had the exact same issue trying to get credit with the original achievement.  Their fix for last time isn't present in the current version.
  • They copy and pasted the code but somehow linked both achievements together since there have been several claims of new players getting credit for both at the same time.  The completed achievement causes the game to not check or send an update to complete the newer achievement.

Those two make a lot more sense than a file, that doesn't interact with the game in the way that you're suggesting it to, is preventing achievement credit.  Think about it.  If you could prevent achievement progress with a file on a local computer, what are the odds that the reverse could happen and you could force credit?

In any case, it doesn't matter because the issue isn't with the local.dat file and you're just causing people to redo their settings for no reason.  Not to mention that it seems to only affect older accounts.  I guess it's only older accounts that got corrupted and the newer ones all managed to avoid it?

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/11/2022 at 2:02 AM, WPooch.6084 said:

It doesn't seem to matter whether you had the original achievement from the old release or not - I had neither (despite playing the original release back in the day) and was awarded neither after my instance finished the fight in under 6 minutes.

did other people get the achievement in your map? one of the things alot of people dont realise is its not 6 minutes of combat time, the timer starts when the last event finishes and the bosses spawn on the map, so its actually 5 mins of combat time.

2 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I found the old forum thread regarding the issue.  I vaguely remember a dev post stating something like "I can't count" regarding the cause but I haven't found it yet.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/escape/Battle-for-Lion-s-Arch-Open-Issues-and-Tips

Well the simplest problem could be someone set it to anywhere within 9 minutes to be mean fail, rather than AFTER 9 minutes.

10 minutes ago, redseer.5286 said:

I tried it again after removing the Local.dat file.  As usual, people who didn't have the first Six Minutes got both, those of us who had the first one didn't Six More Mintues.  Really frustrating.

I did not have either and managed to get both. Also, a couple of guildmates in the same situation were also successful after deleting it. Hopefully they'll have a fix for those unable to get it.

----

I posted the suggestions in an attempt to help others and specifically used the words "Try deleting Local.dat. Got it 1st try after deleting that file." because I wasn't sure if it'll resolve the issue for everyone. Nothing in my post suggest that it was guarantee to work.

12 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

you're just causing people to redo their settings for no reason.  Not to mention that it seems to only affect older accounts.  I guess it's only older accounts that got corrupted and the newer ones all managed to avoid it?

But apparently trying to help and if it did not work, it suddenly becomes your fault. Regardless of those who were successful using this method.

2 hours ago, Techstriker.4130 said:

Well the simplest problem could be someone set it to anywhere within 9 minutes to be mean fail, rather than AFTER 9 minutes.

Or that countdown timer before it starts actually counts too so that you need to beat it with at least 11 min remaining on the clock.  I think people have said that they've done faster than that so I don't think that is the issue.

I think the newer achievement just has the same ID as the older one and doesn't complete because the game thinks that it already has been based off the first one.

Edited by mythical.6315

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

I did not have either and managed to get both. Also, a couple of guildmates in the same situation were also successful after deleting it. Hopefully they'll have a fix for those unable to get it.

Then your situation is completely different from those in this thread.  All of us have the first achievement completed from 9 years ago but are unable to get the second achievement to complete.  What you experienced is likely the RNG with the performance of players in the instances and you eventually found one that was quick enough to complete the achievements for you.  I can hop on one foot and pat my head before the fight but that doesn't mean that was what caused me to get credit if I happened to get credit.  You need correlation and there isn't one with the local.dat file.

EDIT:  Based on my recent finding, what happened with those other times for you is that they all completed below 10 minutes remaining on the timer which is a fail.  You just happened to get it in an instance that beat it with more than 10 min remaining after deleting your local.dat file.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1

Here's another bug that may be related.  Watch the timer from 14:05 for the next 15 seconds.  You see it go to 13:58 and then back up to 14:58.  This means those who haven't done either achievements, will not get credit if the timer is below 10 min.

You can see this in Teapot's video although the picture quality is poor.

Edited by mythical.6315