Warrior or necro?

bLind.6278

Returning player here, on and off for around 9 years now. These are basically the only two classes I actually enjoy for some reason. Necro was my first world complete, but warrior was my first love.

I'm really only doing open world, wvw (ideally roaming and group fights), spvp and hopefully getting back into some fractals on the side. I know that necro is a lot stronger in wvw, especially for bag farming, and in low gold/high silver I feel like necro can be an easier carry class because it's more likely to impact group fights. 

I also already have two full ascended sets fory warrior in berserker and marauder, with around 95 agony resistance in the zero set, because I did fractals regularly around the start of HoT on my warrior. I just don't know if the years-long ongoing issues with warrior neglect is something that I should just shelve my warrior permanently for.

It's a struggle going from a "done" warrior to a necro that would need to have an ascended set (or two) built to be viable in endgame. 

• Like 1

I did everything and continue to do so on my warrior, there has been movement from Anet to make it better as of late. After tomorrow Berserker should be a better in PvE, and Spellbreaker is doing fairly well atm in PvE. As always Spellbreaker is doing okay-to-fine in WvW/PvP, the only thing really holding Spell back is CDs and some damage loss, but dust it off and give it a whirl.

BSW has a 6 figure big D damage skill that is bloated and obfuscates the mechanical deficiencies of the spec, but if you like big D damage numbers then give it a go.

• Like 2

Brother of war, do not let the allures of the corrupted tempt you! This is but the tricks of the mind that attack you while you forge ahead on the path. It is not wrong to doubt. It is normal. What is a sin is to allow the doubt to corrupt you. To let it make you give in to weakness. It is virtuous to overthrow thine doubt in the face of all logic and reason, this is called confidence. But this is cheap talk for the demons that can haunt one’s mind.

You must ask yourself, what is it you truly desire? What is it you want? Deep down, past your conscious thought, beyond the distractions that lurk just out of sight, ready to tempt you off the path, do you still wish for strength? Do you still wish to be the one to stand on the highest mountain top, looking down upon the others? Do you still wish to look upward and see possibility instead of limitation? Do you still crave to be the one to press past the boundaries that others have set and to explore into the realms of strength that others have not yet even imagined? Are you still willing to bleed, and break, and die to take just one more step forward, to move just one more inch into the infinite night? Do you still hold within you an overflowing greed that would consume the infinite reaches of space and still seek or press onward? Do you still wish to belittle mountains, to our race lightning and overpower thunder, to shake the earth with your foot falls and to transcend the limitations of this mortal flesh?

Then I tell you again, my brother of war, forsake the heathen thoughts and re-dedicate thine self to the path. For the path may be hard, may seem impossibly steep at times. Others may throw insults at you from below, and the despair of those above may hang over you like a cloud, yet we climb still! We climb until our legs become thicker than tree trunks. We climb until our arms are chiseled like the stone statues of yore. We climb until our clothes have been tattered and torn and our bodies have become denser than iron. And then we climb further. Past the reaches of the furthest star, past the back of beyond we climb! Climb, my brother, climb! No user of death, no bringer of fear can rival your greatness, only constrain it to mediocrity. Climb I say! Climb, along the path of the Warrior, climb, and all the riches of the universe may be yours to conquer! 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Just now, oscuro.9720 said:

Brother of war, do not let the allures of the corrupted tempt you! This is but the tricks of the mind that attack you while you forge ahead on the path. It is not wrong to doubt. It is normal. What is a sin is to allow the doubt to corrupt you. To let it make you give in to weakness. It is virtuous to overthrow thine doubt in the face of all logic and reason, this is called confidence. But this is cheap talk for the demons that can haunt one’s mind.
You must ask yourself, what is it you truly desire? What is it you want? Deep down, past your conscious thought, beyond the distractions that lurk just out of sight, ready to tempt you off the path, do you still wish for strength? Do you still wish to be the one to stand on the highest mountain top, looking down upon the others? Do you still wish to look upward and see possibility instead of limitation? Do you still crave to be the one to press past the boundaries that others have set and to explore into the realms of strength that others have not yet even imagined? Are you still willing to bleed, and break, and die to take just one more step forward, to move just one more inch into the infinite night? Do you still hold within you an overflowing greed that would consume the infinite reaches of space and still seek or press onward? Do you still wish to belittle mountains, to our race lightning and overpower thunder, to shake the earth with your foot falls and to transcend the limitations of this mortal flesh?

Then I tell you again, my brother of war, forsake the heathen thoughts and re-dedicate thine self to the path. For the path may be hard, may seem impossibly steep at times. Others may throw insults at you from below, and the despair of those above may hang over you like a cloud, yet we climb still! We climb until our legs become thicker than tree trunks. We climb until our arms are chiseled like the stone statues of yore. We climb until our clothes have been tattered and torn and our bodies have become denser than stone. And then we climb further. Past the reaches of the furthest star, past the back of beyond we climb! Climb, my brother, climb! No user of death, no bringer of fear can rival your greatness, only constrain it to mediocrity. Climb I say! Climb, along the path of the Warrior, climb, and all the riches of the universe may be yours to conquer! 

This is the way.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bLind.6278 said:

Returning player here, on and off for around 9 years now. These are basically the only two classes I actually enjoy for some reason. Necro was my first world complete, but warrior was my first love.

I'm really only doing open world, wvw (ideally roaming and group fights), spvp and hopefully getting back into some fractals on the side. I know that necro is a lot stronger in wvw, especially for bag farming, and in low gold/high silver I feel like necro can be an easier carry class because it's more likely to impact group fights. 

I also already have two full ascended sets fory warrior in berserker and marauder, with around 95 agony resistance in the zero set, because I did fractals regularly around the start of HoT on my warrior. I just don't know if the years-long ongoing issues with warrior neglect is something that I should just shelve my warrior permanently for.

It's a struggle going from a "done" warrior to a necro that would need to have an ascended set (or two) built to be viable in endgame. 

we're pretty simillar, for me it WAS, warrior > necro/ranger > guardian.

stick with necro, specially since you've already completed map completion on it, gearing up your necro will be easy compared to re-doing map completion on your warrior.

years-long ongoing issues with warrior IS the reason many dedicated warrior mains moved on to another class or quit the game entirely. so yes it would be a good reason to permanently shelve it.

i'm not as positive as my other decade old warrior peers, anet balance team killed my idealism and hope, i say this with experience, things have not gotten better for warrior, and it probably won't, look at it realistically, i suggest you defer only to facts, current/historical gamestate of warrior and necro for your decision.

you still have the opportunity to walk away from warrior, and i would advise you to do so out of practicality.

but in the end, if you find you truly love warrior, by all means stick with it. don't let me deter you.

• Like 1

Real talk. If you're new and you want to play warrior, play ranger instead. It'll get you the basic feel of warrior with a massive crutch to lean on until you build familiarity and comfortability with the combat mechanics of this game. Once you got ranger down then make a warrior. Warrior isn't easy at all. Most people in this game can't play warrior to save their lives and end up not contributing to anything. They don't know how to make a warrior build and they don't understand the concepts behind the meta warrior builds. They'll become frustrated from never getting it and cry here.  But once you become good at warrior, especially spellbreaker, you will become nearly unstoppable. So first learn ranger then transition to warrior. Good luck.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, eXruina.4956 said:

we're pretty simillar, for me it WAS, warrior > necro/ranger > guardian.

stick with necro, specially since you've already completed map completion on it, gearing up your necro will be easy compared to re-doing map completion on your warrior.

years-long ongoing issues with warrior IS the reason many dedicated warrior mains moved on to another class or quit the game entirely. so yes it would be a good reason to permanently shelve it.

i'm not as positive as my other decade old warrior peers, anet balance team killed my idealism and hope, i say this with experience, things have not gotten better for warrior, and it probably won't, look at it realistically, i suggest you defer only to facts, current/historical gamestate of warrior and necro for your decision.

you still have the opportunity to walk away from warrior, and i would advise you to do so out of practicality.

but in the end, if you find you truly love warrior, by all means stick with it. don't let me deter you.

My warrior is map complete, my necro is 77%. I was map complete on my original necro but lost the account not long after launch. I've been casually doing maps over time when bored, but haven't really grinded out the last few maps.

• Thanks 1

Try out which profession is the most fun to you. In GW2, that is Warrior for me.

Be aware that Warrior is lacking in numbers compared to all the other professions and doesn't bring anything to parties and squads that others can't do better.

But fun is far more important than numbers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Choice:

You look out across the meadow

As the dawn sun crests

The distant rise with dew-drop glow

Anticipation drips through the mist

Exhilaration and fear

Amongst your comrades flits

Muscles bunched, sinuous steel

Breath sharp and shallow

The enemy is near, you can feel

Ponderous and putrid, your enemy

Follows the star's progress

A slithering mass of disease and entropy

With a great bellowing roar, "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!"

You charge, thighs pumping

Joyously tempting death's final kiss

Flesh rises, axes fall, limbs are hewn asunder

Before your onslaught

The necromancer cowers, as if from thunder

And at the end of this day of slaughter

Blades green and metal

Drip with a harvest of blood and gore

You stand, limbs sore from labour's vice

Sweat sheen, dirt strewn

And you know... THERE IS NO CHOICE.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

After getting my necro map complete and a little more time on it, I'm back on my warrior. Spent a couple of hours with a subpar bow/GS spell breaker build and was having way more fun than I do on my necro, and the class just feels better to me. I always loved the play style of warrior more, and honestly necro is underperforming even more than warrior is in sPvP and PvE, so it's not like I'm taking a downgrade.

Looking forward to trying out condi spb, honestly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/28/2022 at 3:14 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

Then I tell you again, my brother of war, forsake the heathen thoughts and re-dedicate thine self to the path. For the path may be hard, may seem impossibly steep at times. Others may throw insults at you from below, and the despair of those above may hang over you like a cloud, yet we climb still! We climb until our legs become thicker than tree trunks. We climb until our arms are chiseled like the stone statues of yore. We climb until our clothes have been tattered and torn and our bodies have become denser than iron. And then we climb further. Past the reaches of the furthest star, past the back of beyond we climb! Climb, my brother, climb! No user of death, no bringer of fear can rival your greatness, only constrain it to mediocrity. Climb I say! Climb, along the path of the Warrior, climb, and all the riches of the universe may be yours to conquer! 

This reads like WH40K. 

Where do I sign up for this cult? 

• Like 3

On 12/5/2022 at 5:03 AM, bLind.6278 said:

After getting my necro map complete and a little more time on it, I'm back on my warrior. Spent a couple of hours with a subpar bow/GS spell breaker build and was having way more fun than I do on my necro, and the class just feels better to me. I always loved the play style of warrior more, and honestly necro is underperforming even more than warrior is in sPvP and PvE, so it's not like I'm taking a downgrade.

Looking forward to trying out condi spb, honestly.

Everything sounds okay except the last sentence. Do you like handcuffs so much?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Im in the opposite situation. I’ve mained necro for a very long time and im now transferring to warrior. There has always been something about warrior that is just incredibly fun and appealing and I’m excited to dive into the class. All i can say about necro is that it has a lot to offer you. It has access to good builds for almost all roles and it’s an incredibly solid class. The only thing is that the off-hands are not really great.

unfortunately I can’t tell you much about warrior as im still a lowly squire myself. I enjoy bonking people over the head with hammer and i love that i have so many weapons to choose from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...