Looking ahead the next Elementalist Elite Spec

Moriartiy.6753

On 1/6/2023 at 1:41 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, both for reasons of how the profession is designed, and how the skills are balanced, I think you'd still need to have two attunements with a weaponswap. You'd then have the same number of skills, but can discard attunements that don't fit what you're planning to do, while potentially adding a bit of range versatility.

I'd actually be inclined to go with shortbow rather than longbow, weapon-wise. Longbows tend to be the martial version of staff - slow, long range, and generally a bit artillery-esque in nature. Shortbows tend to be a bit faster in skill execution and offer more mobility. Mind you, I'm also not sure shortbow is the right weapon for a 'trade half your attunements for weaponswap' elite.

Usually but not always the case. Ranger longbow is faster and more precise than ele staff for example. So it could provide a different flavour of ranged gameplay. Shortbow risks clashing with scepter too much I feel. 

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

Usually but not always the case. Ranger longbow is faster and more precise than eke staff for example. So it could provide a different flavour of ranged gameplay. Shortbow risks clashing with scepter too much I feel. 

Ranger longbow is still a fairly slow and 'heavy' weapon by ranger standards. The actual exception to the general rule is revenant shortbow, which is fairly longbow-like in its skills. Ranger is actually where the distinction between longbow being heavy and artillery-like and shortbow being faster and more of a skirmisher weapon really comes in.

Sceptre still has a significant 'delayed effect' factor to it. Dragon's Tooth, Shatterstone, Arc Lightning doing most of its damage in the final second of a nearly three second channel (faster with quickness, but that applies to everything). By contrast, the sort of skills that a bow elementalist would be likely to draw inspiration from are generally quick fire-and-forget skills: Shock Arrow, Lightning Javelin, Ice Spear, and Lava Arrows. Sceptre also remains a fairly low-mobility weapon (basically just Ride the Lightning, and that only if you're running offhand dagger) - I think there's room for a high-mobility ranged playstyle on elementalist, which is something that is more associated with shortbow than longbow.

Longbow feels more like it'd be likely to end up as Staff 2.0, albeit perhaps with more of a single-target focus, and perhaps less channelled and/or persistent area effects (but if you look at longbow on the professions that currently have it, there's still precedent that suggests there'd be some). Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but I think shortbow has more potential to be something unique. Within the confines of the elementalist profession, anyway.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Axl.8924 said:

scepter and staff is non melee range scepter is mid range and staff is long range.

But it's been melee since. Tempest is designed around being close to the action for overloads, sword is melee, hammer is effectively melee (even air and fire are 600 range with slow projectiles). I think it's fair to ask for more ranged options after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Axl.8924 said:

scepter and staff is non melee range scepter is mid range and staff is long range.

Mesmer had scepter, staff and ranged greatsword and still got an extra ranged weapon with Virtuoso. I think giving another ranged weapon to ele is totally valid, and we don't have a long range pistol spec yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:03 AM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Mesmer had scepter, staff and ranged greatsword and still got an extra ranged weapon with Virtuoso. I think giving another ranged weapon to ele is totally valid, and we don't have a long range pistol spec yet. 

I would agree with that, especially since it feels weird to be a squishy class and be in melee range.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, next elite spec should add 5th element that gets empowered by the attunement before it.

So if you attune it to it after Fire, the fields there will become fire and skills will apply burning, might etc.

It could be "super powerful attunement" and have double the cooldown, or something, but not too long so it doesn't feel too much like a core ele. I am going god mode

Edited by Riba.3271

11 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

In my opinion, next elite spec should add 5th element that gets empowered by the attunement before it.

So if you attune it to it after Fire, the fields there will become fire and skills will apply burning, might etc.

It could be "super powerful attunement" and have double the cooldown, or something, but not too long so it doesn't feel too much like a core ele. I am going god mode

Hmm a 5th element you say.... If they add one, it better be Love.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 4:52 PM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I just want a non melee spec.

I agree. I love playing weaver, just I'd like to see some more "mage" spec alternative.

In general I personally don't see ele with rifle or pistols, wouldn't like a "steampunk" ele but it's just my personal taste.

Anyway I see it well with a bow. About ele swapping weapon idk...and about the elements to me it's ok a spec that emphasize one element maybe, but not completely cancel the others.

Edited by Nymeria.1653
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nymeria.1653 said:

I agree. I love playing weaver, just I'd like to see some more "mage" spec alternative.

In general I personally don't see ele with rifle or pistols, wouldn't like a "steampunk" ele but it's just my personal taste.

Anyway I see it well with a bow. About ele swapping weapon idk...and about the elements to me it's ok a spec that emphasize one element maybe, but not completely cancel the others.

I don't think a rifle or pistol has to be steampunk, there's even a crossbow pistol skin. My problem with bow is it is already a conjured weapon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

I don't think a rifle or pistol has to be steampunk, there's even a crossbow pistol skin. My problem with bow is it is already a conjured weapon. 

Yes I thought about the conjured weapons too, but then I thought there is also the conjured hammer and we got the hammer with cata, so who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Yeahhhh but I don't like catalyst. They've also only given rifle to like one spec so far. 

Yes, I don't like cata that much too (or better I like it but I prefer playing other specs) but it was just for saying that in general conjured weapons are another things maybe. About the rifle I still don't like it on ele at all xD but it's ok, it's fine to have different tastes and views.