The character naming restrictions are ridiculous

Sindust.7059

So I'm trying to make a new Sylvari character (gotta have an elementalist nowadays, and it's the only class I had not played so far), and I'm greeted with this. I mean I get it, but context matters, doesn't it? Also "weed" and "grass" are not restricted names, but they are just as context dependent as "pot". Hell, even "green tea" could be misconstrued if you have the will.

• Like 1
  • Confused 16

55 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

So I'm trying to make a new Sylvari character (gotta have an elementalist nowadays, and it's the only class I had not played so far), and I'm greeted with this. I mean I get it, but context matters, doesn't it? Also "weed" and "grass" are not restricted names, but they are just as context dependent as "pot". Hell, even "green tea" could be misconstrued if you have the will.

You found one restricted name and are thus calling it "ridiculous"?

P.S. Vase, Urn, Planter, Tub, Jardiniere, Vessel, Crock, Jar... Open up a dictionary and you will find many synonyms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

You found one restricted name and are thus calling it "ridiculous"?

P.S. Vase, Urn, Planter, Tub, Jardiniere, Vessel, Crock, Jar... Open up a dictionary and you will find many synonyms.

Just because there are ways around it, doesn't mean it's not ridiculous. I did not say "literally everything is banned", I said that what is, is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

green tea would not need much misconstruing ...

as for drug references I have a mesmer that references two 🙂

The thing is, I wasn't even trying that here, I just wanted some plant based name I like that doesn't sound like I took out the encyclopedia to find it. And all I come up with is either already taken, or I get an error like in the OP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

The thing is, I wasn't even trying that here, I just wanted some plant based name I like that doesn't sound like I took out the encyclopedia to find it. And all I come up with is either already taken, or I get an error like in the OP.

Just be abit more creative.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

🤣 That name has a very specific connotation to me, But I was a teen-ager in the 1960s so that may affect the context I immediately put those words in. 🤣

I was a teen in the 90s...same connotation lol.  So...yeh...sorry OP, find something else less uh...obvious.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I was a teen in the 90s...same connotation lol.  So...yeh...sorry OP, find something else less uh...obvious.

There are a ton of combinations with the other words I mentioned in the OP that are taken. I don't see why pot should be singled out and banned. So yeah, you entirely miss the point.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Maybe because of the target audience being 13+

So a kitchen utensil is somehow a more obvious euphemism than weed, grass or green tea? Should we ban the entire dictionary because almost all words are a euphemism for something?

Edited by Sindust.7059
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

11 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

There are a ton of combinations with the other words I mentioned in the OP that are taken. I don't see why pot should be singled out and banned. So yeah, you entirely miss the point.

"Pot" may be banned because it was in the list of "funny" historical names. There was that one not-really-game-friendly historical person in southeast Asia... 🙂 But it's only my guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

"Pot" may be banned because it was in the list of "funny" historical names. There was that one not-really-game-friendly historical person in southeast Asia... 🙂 But it's only my guess.

Also this.  

16 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

No, I didn't miss the point.  But your particular two words put together are really going to be instantly bringing to mind only one thing for most people.  Weed flower....not really used is it?   Pot is a vessel, so guess flower pot was taken?

3 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Flower pot is the vessel. The sylvari is the plant, not the vessel.

Which is exactly why it's not permitted.  You used the word pot to describe your flower.  Find another species.   Violets perhaps.

19 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I wish i had so little problems in life that something as trival as this gets me so worked up.

Lol it's the small things during the festive season.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Which is exactly why it's not permitted.  You used the word pot to describe your flower.  Find another species.   Violets perhaps.

No, that describes the vessel where the flower was in. The emphasis had to be on flower, so that the combination of the 2 words describes a flower that grows in a pot. Do you langauge?

Edited by Sindust.7059
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Lol. Is that what you tell yourself to sleep better at night after attacking people on the forums who have issues with the game that are not the same as yours?

This is quite ironic. I’ve seen you attack people who try to help you here. The way you write your posts makes you seem aggressive.

Oh and btw. For a whoosh to be had there needs to be a joke 🙂 I saw no joke in what you wrote to her. Just badly written slang or something 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sindust.7059 said:

If you think I'm aggressive, you should re-read the replies I'm getting here. Including your own. Also, the amount of help in this thread is limited to a single post (#3), where the person has also attacked me in the first sentence before getting to the constructive part. You sure are riding with massive blinders on to write what you wrote in this post.

As for the other part, the first search result is an article talking about the memes of that type, with the title being an almost exact quote of what I said: https://daily.jstor.org/in-which-we-science-why-nouns-become-verbs-because-language/

So if you're unfamiliar with that, do you even internet, bro?

Oh no you got me there! Inconceivable! How will I ever recover

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Whatever you say, bud. You've already murdered you're own thread at this point, so it really doesn't matter.

Considering the quality of replies I started getting past about #5, it's not a big loss. I just know now that everyone on this forum is anti-fun, unless the people care about exactly the same things that you do, even if what is being asked doesn't affect them in any negative way at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Just now, Sindust.7059 said:

Considering the quality of replies I started getting past about #5, it's not a big loss. I just know now that everyone on this forum is anti-fun, unless the people care about exactly the same things that you do, even if what is being asked doesn't affect them in any negative way at all.

Look, these replies are not to attack you in any way. You’re reading way too much into all this. The way you started to reply is what people are reacting to. Not your issue with the name thing. At least later in topic. I can understand one word you really want to use being restricted is annoying, but there are many other words you can use instead as someone pointed out. It is a minor issue and when hyperbole is so visible, it’s bound to create reactions. No one was attacking, but simply being straight forward about their opinions in the topic. Which these forums are for. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3