Launching GW2 opens a webpage

You're probably mis-clicking on the launcher after you log in/before you then click "play". There are links down the left side of the launcher once you've initially logged in that will open various news pages on the website. So if you're spamming your left-click on the login button/double-clicking when you only need to click once, at least one of those news page links will be under your mouse when the launcher switches to the "game patch loading/click play" phase. I've played GW2 since launch and I've never had the launcher open the gw2 website unless I've accidentally clicked one of those links.

Hope this helps 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Daniyyel.3428 said:

You're not alone,  I noticed it as well.  It can open the same web page up to 4 times.  Seen on reddit it happens to others and started a few patches ago.  I use buddy so figured that was the problem.

I use buddy to and dont open up a webpage on either of my 5 accounts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I use buddy to and dont open up a webpage on either of my 5 accounts.

Good to hear this,  I just assumed it was buddy since I seen people of the site for buddy complaining about it.  At least it's not that.  It's not that big a deal to me.  I just noticed it started happening a few patches ago.  Figured it would get fixed sooner or later.   Mine only happens maybe 25% of the time.

• Like 1

Just wondering....Do you get the window asking about securing your account with SMS and the option to 'Remind Me Later'?  If so, and you double-click said field, that might be why you open the News Blog article(s), as they are situated in the same place in the next window.

(I just tried it, and it does, indeed, open the News Blog window if I double-click it.)

6 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just wondering....Do you get the window asking about securing your account with SMS and the option to 'Remind Me Later'?  If so, and you double-click said field, that might be why you open the News Blog article(s), as they are situated in the same place in the next window.

(I just tried it, and it does, indeed, open the News Blog window if I double-click it.)

Not sure who the question is for,  I'm guessing OP.  For me, all my accounts have completed the SMS thing.  I've had most of them for years. Been playing  since launch.  Never had this issue until a few weeks ago.  I'm sure whatever is causing it will get fixed.  It's really not a big thing.  Can be annoying at times but I can deal with it.  Oddly enough I only had it happen once today when it usually happens several times a day.   All this time I thought it was the newer version of Buddy.  Glad someone mentioned they use Buddy and don't have an issue.   A friend of mine who has 6 accounts told me she had issue with it as well.  She thought it was Buddy.  So went back to an older version and said she didn't have anymore problems.  It really is hit/miss when it happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Yep I get it with LB. Of 10 account logins, it's always at least 4, frequently 6, and occasionally all 10.

Agreed, Daniyyel.3428: it's just hit or miss. No apparent reason for when it triggers and when it doesn't. But it's more often than not.

Maybe it has something to do with switching window focus with LB running, and focusing the GW2 launcher somehow counts as clicking it in the news hotspot?

Edited by hurp.9851

Honestly, it doesn't matter if someone using Buddy isn't also having the issue.  Any time you are using anything that is outside of the game developer's intended/default runtime process, please remove it and try to replicate the issue using a "vanilla" install of GW2.  Otherwise you are not troubleshooting a game issue, but an issue with whatever add-on you are using and confusing yourself.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1