Why not improve the loot for killing an enemy player?

blp.3489

Wouldn't improving the loot when you kill an enemy player be the most direct way to encourage increased player vs player combat in WvW?

I'm guessing that there would be some undesirable effect of improving the loot players receive when they kill an enemy player but I'm not sure what it would be.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia.8695 said:

Kill trading. It was a thing in the past.

I don't know how the math would work out but it is hard to believe that taking turns going back to the spawn point and then returning to the place where you are taking turns killing one another wouldn't be too mind-numbingly boring to be worth it.  I guess if you had groups and you were reviving each other instead of rallying at the spawn point it could work.

But the loot per player killed would still need to be significant to make it worthwhile, and are there really enough people who are shameless enough to make it a significant problem?  And couldn't people who are that shameless just arrange to trade camps or towers anyway?

If you added an "I've been killed in the last 5 minutes" condition on players and gave reduced rewards for killing them again you could cut down on abuse a lot, and make spawn camping less attractive too.

Edited by blp.3489
typo

10 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

How are they going to encourage increased player vs. player combat _for structures_ though?  They aren't looking to increase combat in general.  They want to tie it directly to attacking and defending structures.

It's true that it will reward fighting not related to structures but isn't the majority of fighting occurring around structures?  And isn't rewarding active play whether it is around a structure or not a good thing?

One could always add a bonus multiplier that beefed up rewards when in proximity to a structure.  Maybe have even larger rewards for killing an enemy in a capture circle.  With a bonus for killing an enemy player in an objective you hold you would be rewarding active defensive play too.  And you could reduce rewards when near an enemy "home waypoint" to discourage spawn camping.

14 minutes ago, blp.3489 said:

One could always add a bonus multiplier that beefed up rewards when in proximity to a structure.  Maybe have even larger rewards for killing an enemy in a capture circle.

No need to re-invent the wheel.  That's exactly what objective event scaling is doing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

No need to re-invent the wheel.  That's exactly what objective event scaling is doing.

Right.  My original query was about increasing combat independent of objectives.  I shouldn't have allowed myself to get pulled into dealing with objectives.

Sure, then we can kill the boon blob bag farms when pugs finally realize they give out more loot than they can get from them on top of not getting enough participation.

Oh and kill trading happened when people got the bright idea to farm each other in Obsidian Sanctum for the realm avenger achievement, so much so that anet had to revamp the spawns in OS to stop it.

Some how, some way, people will find a way to abuse the system for easy rewards, might even be as easy and taking two zergs and constantly smashing into each other at south camp in alpines.... 🤭

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

Right.  My original query was about increasing combat independent of objectives.  I shouldn't have allowed myself to get pulled into dealing with objectives.

It seemed more like you were missing the point that the patch today isn't about the behavior of killing players just anywhere.  Wrong goals.

Edited by Chaba.5410

7 hours ago, Eudaimonia.8695 said:

Kill trading. It was a thing in the past.

They could just put diminishing returns on it to the point where someone dying too much drops no loot.

It already works that way with WxP. Players that have been alive longer give more wxp while players that died a lot recently are only worth 1.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

I didn't even mention today's patch in my post.

3 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

It seemed more like you were missing the point that the patch today isn't about improving loot for the behavior of killing players.  Wrong goals.

I didn't even mention today's patch in my post, it wasn't what I was talking about.