What significant life events happened to you since Alliances were announced?

K THEN.5162

21 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

I retired- 2019. Every day is now Saturday 😏

That does not apply. You can't go on forums and write stuff like that. You'll make yourself a lot of enemies for sure. In addition to the risk of making someone die of envy. 😉

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

2020: America lost its mind but at least we got rid of that one guy.

Cause everything is so much better now? lol

On 5/2/2023 at 11:17 AM, Cuks.8241 said:

But we dont have to deal with spaghetti code.

Im genuinely curious how every knows what code the dev team uses. Everyone keeps saying "spaghetti code" But how do you know? Do you work there?

• Confused 2

On 5/3/2023 at 8:53 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

That does not apply. You can't go on forums and write stuff like that. You'll make yourself a lot of enemies for sure. In addition to the risk of making someone die of envy. 😉

* rubs eyes as he slowly wakes up from another afternoon nap * huh? Whut? hmph * rolls over ..zzzzzz*

11 hours ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Im genuinely curious how every knows what code the dev team uses. Everyone keeps saying "spaghetti code" But how do you know? Do you work there?

I don't use that term mind you. That said as a software developer over the decades its rough when a group of people take over a codebase from another group. You lose that foundation of underlining knowledge when code is passed over. A good example I was working with a senior developer that was moving on and asked why none of their naming conventions made sense. Their reply was I just spelled everything backwards, it made it harder for them to replace me. 🙂 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

* rubs eyes as he slowly wakes up from another afternoon nap * huh? Whut? hmph * rolls over ..zzzzzz*

lol, our oldest guildmate at 73 also complains much that his boss required him to sleep in an then come wreck kids after a lunch nap.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 2:27 AM, K THEN.5162 said:

We have now entered year 5 since the unreleased Alliance system was announced by the former Anet employee, Gale Gray, back in 2018. A half-decade is a very long time, and any number of life-changing things can happen in such a period. So my fellow WvWers, what significant life events did you experience since we were promised a rework of our beloved game mode?

Here's how my life changed:

2018: Started my undergrad degree, moved countries

2019: Stopped regularly playing gw2 (thanks Warclaw)

2020: Start of the COVID-19 pandemic

2021: Completed my degree/started my master's, moved countries

2022: End(?) of the pandemic

2023: Completed my master's degree, moved countries

alliances systeme was not 100% gonna be succesful since anet had a lot of issues to fix back then than looking for wvw to make it succesful , they said with the steam release and dev recruitment , they can focus now on different angles of the game , they didn't see that alliances was succesful enough so they made it as a side project if i might say , but now they said they gonna focus on making it live late this year , people giving so much crap to anet devs , making an mmo and fixing its major content ain't that easy , specialy in pvp since u gotta take notes of every class and how it is gonna impact the whole zergs , defending and attacking systeme , including siege weapons and boons , they did their best thats all there is to it.

9 hours ago, Random dude.5089 said:

alliances systeme was not 100% gonna be succesful since anet had a lot of issues to fix back then than looking for wvw to make it succesful , they said with the steam release and dev recruitment , they can focus now on different angles of the game , they didn't see that alliances was succesful enough so they made it as a side project if i might say , but now they said they gonna focus on making it live late this year , people giving so much crap to anet devs , making an mmo and fixing its major content ain't that easy , specialy in pvp since u gotta take notes of every class and how it is gonna impact the whole zergs , defending and attacking systeme , including siege weapons and boons , they did their best thats all there is to it.

If it was monetized like a expansion, then their best would probably of improved 😉🤷‍♂️.

3 hours ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

If it was monetized like a expansion, then their best would probably of improved 😉🤷‍♂️.

you still don't understand how an average mmo company works brother , devs have to split their focus on the most popular area in the game which is ? yes expansions with pve content , how many people play wvw ? i mean like the players who spend all day in wvw , i would say 10% of player base  since the map support between 300/500 player , and if you multiply that by the amount of servers in the game , that would so little bother , so nobody realy cares about wvw , so they leave it as the last option to look at , but now since they have enough devs to split up their focus , they can actualy focus on the expac and the wvw rewards and alliances , but you guys just think anet need money motivation to make your game mod magicly be fixed , take a deep look how gaming companys update their games before using common sense and think its the way they do things , cause it sound a bit silly how you guys view things.

1 hour ago, Random dude.5089 said:

you still don't understand how an average mmo company works brother , devs have to split their focus on the most popular area in the game which is ? yes expansions with pve content , how many people play wvw ? i mean like the players who spend all day in wvw , i would say 10% of player base  since the map support between 300/500 player , and if you multiply that by the amount of servers in the game , that would so little bother , so nobody realy cares about wvw , so they leave it as the last option to look at , but now since they have enough devs to split up their focus , they can actualy focus on the expac and the wvw rewards and alliances , but you guys just think anet need money motivation to make your game mod magicly be fixed , take a deep look how gaming companys update their games before using common sense and think its the way they do things , cause it sound a bit silly how you guys view things.

In terms of things a lot of vets are sick and tired of anet carrying empty promises and projects. For all we known even with alliances it may get shelved a second time with no word to the community about it. Granted sure not as any people play world versus world but even so at one time there was many players that enjoyed world versus world when it first came out when servers were separate  prior to the mega server and combing servers. despite it required spending of in game silver and gold to upgrade towers and keeps when they added different tiers of upgrading objectives. Granted back then gold was difficult to come by especially as a world versus worlder. But updates fell short alot of times with world versus world. Take for instance when they turned all of the regular alpine maps into the desert borderland alot of people avoided world versus world until they rolled it to being only 1 map like that. Even at the start of the game over the past 10 years come to think of It don't think I have ever seen a anet dev on Hod server whether it was in pve prior to the megaservers or on Hod in wvw in general🤔 many get that pve is the priority but even so the other game modes should get at least something more to keep those that are actually interested still wanting to play it. Gw2 goes by you can build a build anyway you want to but often times people are forced to use certain builds to actually be viable not because there is multiple of good optimal customizations but the fact that there is no other best in slot choice unless you change to a entire different profession with a set combination of stats. Even with certain weapons not having changed in a entire decade aside from number changes and few damage tweaks when the weapons themselves inhibit active movement on specific melee classes abilities to the point they become a detriment to actually use.

• Like 1

And it is understandable that the work they do is not at all easy, but they have dropped the ball multiple times before without communication about why which can be understood to an extent.Which has made their words and trust be very thin in terms of reliability. Which I shall acknowledge the mention from them being late on the update as of late is welcoming in terms of the past communication that had been seen in the past  several years in terms of wvw.

19 hours ago, Random dude.5089 said:

Sorry but that's kind of a load of...

PVP sections of the game don't require as much content as pve to function, wvw has been functioning on 3 maps for ten years. They mostly rely on balance and reward updates to make sure combat and game play stays "fun". They outright abandoned pvp and wvw years ago. I can tell you this, if they had treated pve the way they had treated wvw the past five years, this game would be a ghost town, yet a good portion of loyal players still play wvw regardless of the drought.

Yes we know they've been through tough times, they lost ncsoft funding, they had layoffs, Mike left the company, covid, but their communication and timing still sucks, their development for wvw is still bare minimum. They spent most of last year on a new pve expansion, revamping season 1 living story, steam release, dx11 release, I get it, the company needed to get back on track and get it's money track in place, but that's no excuse why you can't throw in a few minor updates to the mode every year, even to just update the rewards which they just did, or address concerns about some issues like the useless emblems, which they will finally be addressing next month. But none of that for the past 5 years? inexcusable.

And don't give us the spiel about priority to the popular parts of the game, because wvw is more popular than raids, probably more popular than strikes and maybe even fractals. People in wvw use the cash shop too!

• Memes about WvW being dead are just memes, WvW actually has one of the most healthy population numbers in the game. - Grouch 2021

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Sorry but that's kind of a load of...

PVP sections of the game don't require as much content as pve to function, wvw has been functioning on 3 maps for ten years. They mostly rely on balance and reward updates to make sure combat and game play stays "fun". They outright abandoned pvp and wvw years ago. I can tell you this, if they had treated pve the way they had treated wvw the past five years, this game would be a ghost town, yet a good portion of loyal players still play wvw regardless of the drought.

Yes we know they've been through tough times, they lost ncsoft funding, they had layoffs, Mike left the company, covid, but their communication and timing still sucks, their development for wvw is still bare minimum. They spent most of last year on a new pve expansion, revamping season 1 living story, steam release, dx11 release, I get it, the company needed to get back on track and get it's money track in place, but that's no excuse why you can't throw in a few minor updates to the mode every year, even to just update the rewards which they just did, or address concerns about some issues like the useless emblems, which they will finally be addressing next month. But none of that for the past 5 years? inexcusable.

And don't give us the spiel about priority to the popular parts of the game, because wvw is more popular than raids, probably more popular than strikes and maybe even fractals. People in wvw use the cash shop too!

brother you legit just proved my point in 70% of your statement , they had issues so they focused on the most popular part of their game for their majority of playerbase , also wvw being more popular than pve is the most caping i heared in my entire life , i said go check how many servers , multiply that by 300/500 , which is the number of how much the wvw map support , otherwise you find a q time , it will be arround 30k players or maybe a bit more , now im only talking about people who play wvw like their life depends on it , not to mention people who join for gift of battle for legendarys only , yes its so little compared to pve , so no wvw is not popular than pve , cause what makes wvw unique is that is fun to play regardless of the rewards , but now peeps are rewards driven , and pve is what gives the most rewards , i know your mad about wvw not being updated and promises not being delivered , but im not talking from my own perspective or common sense , i have game devs i know who legit supported me on this statement , cause anet is a company first of all , they do whats smart first , means keeping their huge majority of pve players than pvp players comes later when they hire enough devs to support pvp and pve at the same time , thats why they gave up on wvw alliances and focused on pve , and now when enough devs are recruited , they start updating pvp also , thats a no brainer right ? well common sense is also rare these days so i wont realy expect people to understand.