Too many agressive mobs!!

It's a choice the developer has to make. GW2 chose to scale the player to the map, so mobs stay aggressive and a threat (rather a minor annoyance in low-level maps, really), others – I'm going to use FFXIV as example – chose to leave the player in peace. Both choices have their pros and cons, you can't say this is better or that is better.

In FFXIV on the other hand, the open world is mostly irrelevant anyway and the fact, that you don't get attacked once you outlevel the map, is probably one contributing factor to this (the main reason will be that FFXIV's open world is mostly empty, there's simply nothing to explore).

Another thing: how would GW2 decide whether mobs attack or not? This decision is easy in FFXIV, mobs don't attack players who outlevel them by 10 or more. Because of GW2's horizontal progression, you can't apply this logic – it would only affect a few core maps.

I can understand the sentiment, I sometimes feel the same way and wish that the mobs would just leave me in peace. However, in GW2, the open world is the core of the game while in FFXIV, it's the space where you relax between instances. GW2 would become very boring, if the player wouldn't get attacked anymore, it would remove all spice from exploration.

Now, why do I prefer GW2 over FFXIV? Two main factors:

• I'm so tired of the gear treadmill, horizontal progression FTW!
  • I love roaming in the open world, I love exploring it, it's what I wanna do primarily in an MMO.

You see, the reasons why I prefer GW2 over FFXIV and the reasons why mobs have to stay aggressive are exactly the same. I have to revise my initial statement: it's better this way.

• Like 2

Are you a newer player? if so, I can understand that view as I felt the same way with the expansions when I started playing the game a bit over a year ago, especially Path of Fire. Felt like no matter want, you were in a constant state of dealing with mobs and it annoyed me. Now, I don't mind the mobs, though it can be annoying if you are trying to look at the map in a spot you thought was fine and then have some enemies that seemingly were half across the area magically hitting you. This is where the skyscale is great since you can usually just get high up enough and hover while you check the map/other things.

Turtle is great for moving through mobs since it has the 60k health so you can just basically ignore them.

If you are having issues while on foot in clearing the mobs then it could be a build issue. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, loregnum.3619 said:

Are you a newer player? if so, I can understand that view as I felt the same way with the expansions when I started playing the game a bit over a year ago, especially Path of Fire. Felt like no matter want, you were in a constant state of dealing with mobs and it annoyed me. Now, I don't mind the mobs, though it can be annoying if you are trying to look at the map in a spot you thought was fine and then have some enemies that seemingly were half across the area magically hitting you. This is where the skyscale is great since you can usually just get high up enough and hover while you check the map/other things.

Turtle is great for moving through mobs since it has the 60k health so you can just basically ignore them.

If you are having issues while on foot in clearing the mobs then it could be a build issue. 

Yeah I think with the influx of new players and the push from ArenaNet to be push out more constant updates and actively getting new players, I really think Skyscale should be easier to get or more of a given at the beginning of HoT expansion.

HoT and PoF really demotivated me to play, as it was a difficulty spike to navigate, and to see veterans flying around with Skyscale. Then to be confronted to grind for Skyscale before being able to enjoy the expansions, in the end, this became a demotivating loop for new players/returners.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Hycinthus.6483 said:

Yeah I think with the influx of new players and the push from ArenaNet to be push out more constant updates and actively getting new players, I really think Skyscale should be easier to get or more of a given at the beginning of HoT expansion.

HoT and PoF really demotivated me to play, as it was a difficulty spike to navigate, and to see veterans flying around with Skyscale. Then to be confronted to grind for Skyscale before being able to enjoy the expansions, in the end, this became a demotivating loop for new players/returners.

On the other hand, the mastery system is the progression for this game.  The maps are designed around that system.  Simply handing out skyscales right away bypasses all of these systems. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, Yttris.2945 said:

Mmhm. Made HoT and PoF complete no-go's for me. Central Tyria boss runs until the sun goes nova. GW2 has no expansions or additional content of any sort.

*waits for troll reactions*

I mean, if you make a trollish post you'll get a trollish response. No different from asking a stupid question lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They definitely need to take a look at the respawn timers in a lot of cases.

EoD. Go to a hero, it is a commune... kill the Elite... comune... 80% in respawns and interrupts me.... kill the mob... 

4th comune worked. 

Now to be fair, I think this is a timing bug, but it is heck annoying if you kill the mob to then interact with something, you often are interrupted again due to the extreme fast respawn. And it seems to happen more and more often (also in older maps)

• Confused 2