Making A and D strafe by default was a good first step, but more needs to be done

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Idk...I mean, it definitely has more buttons to bind than ESO, that's for sure, but not as many as WoW, and definitely not as many as EQ2 or other tab-target MMORPGs. 

Accessibility is much much more important in GW2 than in WoW though.

I never played WoW but afaik there is a global cooldown, meaning there is no way to quickly chain abilities like you can in GW2, making modifier bound keys MUCH more acceptable.

In GW2 you easily have scenarios where you might want to press 4 different skills within a second between all the instant casts, profession mechanics and weapon swaps we have.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. Anet would want more players to play. Well, that, and pay - not necessarily optimally.

I would rather have people play for thousands of hours instead of hundreds. Players who hit the wall due to being clickers are more likely to quit and thus not spend more TIME. It is TIME that matters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I would rather have people play for thousands of hours instead of hundreds. Players who hit the wall due to being clickers are more likely to quit and thus not spend more TIME. It is TIME that matters.

And I'd rather have more players playing the game. Taking away the option of clicking abilities will cause a portion of the playerbase to leave the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't think the proposal to remove mouse clicking skills will change much. Those players will simply just give up using 90% of their skills. It might even result in a larger disparity between dedicated and casual players. Think a longbow ranger only using longbow 5 when it's available and nothing else. No weapon swapping/utilities/elites.

Although that would still probably be enough for Open World 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And I'd rather have more players playing the game. Taking away the option of clicking abilities will cause a portion of the playerbase to leave the game.

I would leave. I can only comfortably use 3 fingers of my keyboard hand (I'm old) and without clicking I couldn't play this game at all. Game modes that I'm too slow, for I simply skip. The game has plenty to offer without them.

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I would leave. I can only comfortably use 3 fingers of my keyboard hand (I'm old) and without clicking I couldn't play this game at all. Game modes that I'm too slow, for I simply skip. The game has plenty to offer without them.

I'd likely consider leaving, too. I know that I'm better with clicking than I could ever be with hitting keys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My friend clears high end content entirely by clicking. So he did with many other games, including such titles as Aion, where you had hundret more skill buttons to click. I am pretty sure he would be mad if ANet would force him to change the way he plays this game. So it's a no from me. Besides, clickers that will find themselves in front of that barrier will be given a chioce, to eighter improve or change playstyle. Your decision would take that choice away from them. And that wouldn't be very wise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

And instead of playing hundreds of hours, people would play 1-5—maybe less—and leave to never return and to tell others to not play the game because not allowing clicking is a horrible, horrible decision and doesn't jive with PC gaming.

People avoid or quit games all the time that have bad control schemes, particularly if they don't give players a way to customize them into something not terrible. You can just look at all the PC ports that have been critically panned because the control scheme seemed to be an afterthought by one lone person who had no idea what to do and decided to not even give people the option to rebind them. Or only some keys can be rebound but not others. Or multiple actions were locked to the same button no matter what.

And what of the time of players who have put in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of hours who would quit the game over the removal of an input method that's been standard in MMOs for decades? Does their time matter less? Because if you remove an input method, you aren't just alienating new players to the game (or MMOs in general), you're alienating a large swathe of players, especially those who grew up with it or physically can't do what you want them to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

People avoid or quit games all the time that have bad control schemes, particularly if they don't give players a way to customize them into something not terrible. You can just look at all the PC ports that have been critically panned because the control scheme seemed to be an afterthought by one lone person who had no idea what to do and decided to not even give people the option to rebind them. Or only some keys can be rebound but not others. Or multiple actions were locked to the same button no matter what.

There's even some PC-only games which work better with a controller. In a way that makes sense; a controller is designed purely for gaming whereas a keyboard is designed primarily for typing, but it still seems weird that a game designed for PC would have an awkward or limited control scheme using the default inputs. (Valheim for one example, repetitive actions like mining which you do a lot of in that game are much more comfortable using a controller's trigger buttons than holding down a mouse button, and it means you can move the character and the camera independently to look around while moving which is important for spotting both dangers and things to collect.)

And yes, I've quit games or played them a lot less than I would otherwise because I can't get a comfortable control scheme. For me it can be literally painful, I've gotten RSI from using a computer and while it's generally fine it flairs up if I'm doing the same things too often and can make it impossible to keep going. Being able to customise and vary how I do things helps a lot with that.

There's also the simple fact that I'm left-handed (which is not exactly uncommon) so a lot of control schemes designed to have your left hand on the keyboard don't work for me. I can't easily reach both WASD and the space bar for example, so I need to rebind the controls to something which does work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I am also old. I don't think you should use that as an excuse. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...