[VOTE] What is the best Expansion overall? HoT, PoF or EoD?

What is the best Expansion overall? HoT, PoF or EoD?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Expansion overall? HoT, PoF or EoD?

• HoT is the best
    • PoF is the best
    • EoD is the best
    • I think all three are equally good/bad

On 6/26/2023 at 1:24 PM, jokke.6239 said:

Well I'm a bit unfair with my vote since I just started EoD (been away from the game)

But I voted POF as best

I don't grind META's.

POF was more focused towards my prefered kind of gameplay.

And mounts is the biggest feature added to the game I can think of 

Done with EoD, or am I? Credits rolled

But there's more story, is this living story or still expansion?

Anyway ... 

PoF>HoT>EoD

Skiffs and fishing seems allright

Wasn't a fan of the new maps.

Graphics imo looks much worse than HoT and PoF. Sort of strange

Except for the city. That's one of the nicest maps in the game

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I voted for HOT mainly from a gameplay perspective (Meta events, hero points, etc)  but PoF adding mounts was amazing and just like with HoT I really enjoyed each map. EOD isn't bad (far from) just didn't like the elite specs for the classes that I play & the maps were not that fun to explore. 

• Like 1

HoT by far. The maps aren't just amazing they are inspired. This is some next level kitten after nearly 10 years.

Glider was amazing, and while mounts made life so much easier, I believe pre mounts was the best GW2 experience.
Getting to places was a challenge, but like any challenge it felt really rewarding to beat!

Also the xpac's theme (living jungle) and what came with it (golden city with exalted) were just pure decapitation in how hard they hit the nail on it's head.

And of course the e-specs. Most fun of the lot imho, e-specs that focused on fun gameplay over filling a role.
Later things started to be more streamlined and cookie cutter which was a downgrade. Luckily there are still some wild ones in recent xpacs such as the Specter or any ranger e-spec, but unfortunately not that many.

• Like 5

On 7/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, jokke.6239 said:

Done with EoD, or am I? Credits rolled

But there's more story, is this living story or still expansion?

Anyway ... 

PoF>HoT>EoD

Skiffs and fishing seems allright

Wasn't a fan of the new maps.

Graphics imo looks much worse than HoT and PoF. Sort of strange

Except for the city. That's one of the nicest maps in the game

Just finished map completion on EoD maps

I've come to appreciate the maps a bit more I think.

The echowald and dragonstand (if I remember names correctly) I kind of like

I was on the dragon meta yesterday. 

Quite the spectical

I enjoyed both HoT and PoF. Voted for PoF, though.

EoD managed to utterly disappoint me. Imagine spending ten years on the dragon cycle only to mangle the ending so royally. Imagine writing the dialogue with a straight face. Never mind that the only part of it that felt like an expansion in terms of introducing new and meaningful content was having three maps, and those were wanting at best.

About the only positive things about EoD are some standout tracks on its OST and Mai Trin. The rest we could've seen in an episode or two of LW content. This is why I'm currently uncertain about SotO. They're already adding less content and leaning into recycling existing content. So if they're doubling down on narrative for the rest... I sure hope it isn't due to confidence in EoD's. Edited by SailorCat.6032
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

HoT had a rocky start because in a way it innovated almost too much while not really delivering on the fronts most people expected, and many things needed tuning too.

Players complained about not getting dungeons, fractals. Maps only centering around overtuned meta, masteries taking too long. But they didn't appreciate the sheer amount of new content and systems delivered because they didn't know what to make of them.

It was GW2 launch all over again, too different from other MMO expansions for most people which left people initially unsatisfied.

Over time people figured things out and after a few months of polishing HoT really started to shine.

Both other expansions were HoT-lite, none of them came close in sheer scope and no future ones ever will now. We didn't realize we were in the good old days until we left them.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

PoF is my favorite, I liked everything about it and mounts are awesome, all of them.

HoT has indeed a couple metas that are absolutely fantastic, but I wouldn't touch those maps without mounts, they give me headaches to navigate.

EoD story is not bad, I enjoyed it, but the last map is awful, impossible to do without turtles and very few people there have them, I gave up on it.

• Like 1

PoF was good only mount-wise. I hated aesthetics though, do not like desert maps. Also hated Scourge necromancer spec, it does not even make sense. HoT was most interesting aesthetically, but somewhat annoying to navigate until you get your masteries. But I am a noob, so I started with EoD, so i got Springler by the time i tried HoT)

in terms of story, i liked pof the best. i think their storytelling peaked with the balthazar arc. i think by far pof was the best expansion they released for me, it'll be hard to top it in my book.

that said i'd just like to point out eod had "potential" if they managed to finish it, i still can't help but feel that they rushed it and that it was nowhere near done.

as a special mention i'd like to bring up icebrood saga, i loved it 2nd to pof, if they had ended the game's story with ibs' primordus vs jormag. it would've been a fitting end to the series.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 3

My favorite is PoF, because I aobsolutely love the quality of design, the story and lore, the story missions, and everything Palawa Joko. Oh, and it introduced mounts, of course!

HoT had the most interesting map designs in terms of verticality and complexity, and its meta events are still popular for a reason. Not much of a fan of the story, because... evil plants, bleh. I did like the Exalted and wish there had been more depth to them.

EoD cannot compete with either in terms of design and feel, but the dramatization of the plot was excellent (cutscenes, camera) and some story missions had interesting new mechanics. A few open world spots were well done, though, like the haunted temple grounds in Seitung and the Kurzick cemetery in Echovald. And I love all the strike missions.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

Theres a rental NPC where you can rent the turtle for free.

That works for "isolated" events like breaking the walls, not for the entire meta, imagine the majority of people participating in a meta having to go back and forth from the starting point every time they're dismounted.

They should either make the turtle less of a requirement, or make NPCs use them when there are not enough people around having them.

Though I guess the main problem is people don't like that map so there are not many doing the events, it seems most people are there to finish the story and be done with it.