Too many "currencies" inc. keys in wallet and so on

I appreciate that some currencies were merged while ago and from my point of view it is way to go since game in current state have too many currencies. When I am done with some currency farm, then I never need to go back to that part of game and I even have a lot of currency I can not spend on anything. For WvW new merchant NPC Dugan partly solve this issue only for WvW. It was great idea and going similar way in PvP and PvE would be nice.

I think that more currencies should be merged or "removed"/reworked. Like who is doing DRM for Tyrian defense seals at this time. Drizzlewood coast is having several commendation currencies and war supplies. I understand that at time of introducing new content it needs to have something new, but adding new currency or several of them each year will lead to overhelming experience and in long run it is not good for new and even normal players.

PS if you could merge Proof of Heroics, Testimony of Desert Heroics and Testimony of Jade Heroics that would be great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

One the one hand people argue that there are too many currencies...on the other hand they may not realise what they're asking for since it will make a lot of content irrelevant if they reduced the amount of currencies.

Anet may want to think of reorganising the wallet though to where it has an easier overview, like categorising the wallet per expansion for example instead of just one long list of all the currencies.

Having said that there are some currencies that serve no real purpose. The proofs you mention are a good example. They serve exactly the same purpose, so they really should be merged. I'm sure there are a couple more currencies like that.

But overall taking out specific content-bound currencies is a dangerous thing. You have to be careful with that as to not make areas/content obsolete. As a general rule streamlining things also has the strong potential to make things more boring and content obsolete. In my opinion of course.

• Like 3

Well, a lot areas/content are obsolete and it is painful for new ppl to do something when noone play it. Another solution could be something like "Return to" achievements we had or just monthly achivements for certain maps with reward being current "meta" currency.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:34 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

...PS if you could merge Proof of Heroics, Testimony of Desert Heroics and Testimony of Jade Heroics that would be great.

On 6/28/2023 at 5:17 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

...there are some currencies that serve no real purpose. The proofs you mention are a good example. They serve exactly the same purpose, so they really should be merged. I'm sure there are a couple more currencies like that...

Gehenna, I agree with what you said except for the one part about the proofs and testimonies of heroics.  I do a lot of WvW and have a lot of alts so I use proofs and testimonies a lot when spinning up a new alt or just adding a new elite spec to an existing alt. As a matter of fact, over the next few days I'm going to be trying some new elite specs to see what works best for me in WvW after this latest patch. The proofs and testimonies as they currently stand not only allow me to immediately add the needed hero points but they also allow me to select which area I want those hp to be from. Different alts have gone through different areas so I find it helpful to select which area's hps I want to use. Would a merged currency retain that functionality? If so, I'd be in favor of it. If not, I'd rather keep the existing system for these particular currencies. Other than that though, I do like the idea of merging currencies. That did make things simpler when dealing with dungeon currencies.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

One the one hand people argue that there are too many currencies...on the other hand they may not realise what they're asking for since it will make a lot of content irrelevant if they reduced the amount of currencies.

Anet may want to think of reorganising the wallet though to where it has an easier overview, like categorising the wallet per expansion for example instead of just one long list of all the currencies.

Having said that there are some currencies that serve no real purpose. The proofs you mention are a good example. They serve exactly the same purpose, so they really should be merged. I'm sure there are a couple more currencies like that.

But overall taking out specific content-bound currencies is a dangerous thing. You have to be careful with that as to not make areas/content obsolete. As a general rule streamlining things also has the strong potential to make things more boring and content obsolete. In my opinion of course.

There is a drop down menu on top of the inventory subscreen that lets you select what kind of currency you want to see, e.g. competitive, map related, instanced, etc.

Regarding Proof of Heroics, they do serve a purpose separately. They let you complete HP's in maps from different expansions. I use them mostly for HoT HP's, since a lot of them are champ fights and I don't always want to invest time into gathering some people to do them or soloing them. Exchanging my current proofs to HoT ones to unlock those HP's is very convenient. Even for easy HP's, getting them with proofs instead of going through the maps to get them all saves a lot of time, if you don't feel like spending that time on completing HP's.

I get why people ask for a simplification of currencies. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I know where each currency is in the list and I ignore the ones I don't need. 

On 6/28/2023 at 11:34 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

I appreciate that some currencies were merged while ago and from my point of view it is way to go since game in current state have too many currencies. When I am done with some currency farm, then I never need to go back to that part of game and I even have a lot of currency I can not spend on anything. For WvW new merchant NPC Dugan partly solve this issue only for WvW. It was great idea and going similar way in PvP and PvE would be nice.

I think that more currencies should be merged or "removed"/reworked. Like who is doing DRM for Tyrian defense seals at this time. Drizzlewood coast is having several commendation currencies and war supplies. I understand that at time of introducing new content it needs to have something new, but adding new currency or several of them each year will lead to overhelming experience and in long run it is not good for new and even normal players.

PS if you could merge Proof of Heroics, Testimony of Desert Heroics and Testimony of Jade Heroics that would be great.

You don't just get defense seals from DRM's. Dragonstorm also yields defense seals. You can buy lots of materials for those, for instance leather and cloth, which take more time to farm than wood, metal and plants. So I use them for extra materials, which I can then sell for gold (basically the same principle as eternal ice -> volatile magic -> materials.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

There is a drop down menu on top of the inventory subscreen that lets you select what kind of currency you want to see, e.g. competitive, map related, instanced, etc.

I'm aware of this dropdown but I rarely use it. I'm not bothered as such but if they were going to think of some sort of solution I'd prefer to be able to filter by expansion or area of the world. Not going fully into the details but that's the general direction I would want them to go.

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Regarding Proof of Heroics, they do serve a purpose separately. They let you complete HP's in maps from different expansions. I use them mostly for HoT HP's, since a lot of them are champ fights and I don't always want to invest time into gathering some people to do them or soloing them. Exchanging my current proofs to HoT ones to unlock those HP's is very convenient. Even for easy HP's, getting them with proofs instead of going through the maps to get them all saves a lot of time, if you don't feel like spending that time on completing HP's.

Since you can buy the other proofs with the current one on a 1 to 1 basis I don't see the need to have multiple separate ones. I buy off HPs all the time but since there's a 1 for 1 exchange rate it's just dumb to have 3. Especially with the upcoming expansion. Will we have 4 type of proofs then and one more every year after?

It doesn't make sense now as it is. You can change the proofs to one currency and have the HPs be available when you own the expansion. GW2 has tons of conditional stuff at vendors as it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

You don't just get defense seals from DRM's. Dragonstorm also yields defense seals. You can buy lots of materials for those, for instance leather and cloth, which take more time to farm than wood, metal and plants. So I use them for extra materials, which I can then sell for gold (basically the same principle as eternal ice -> volatile magic -> materials.

There are no groups in LFG for DRM's. It is dead content and let's be real time:reward ratio is not good. Another point good point for eternal ice I also used it to buy LW4 currency either for crafting or volatile magic so another currency only to convert to something useful. Similar with Blue prophet shards. Imagine merging eternal ice with Blue prophet shards. Of course ratio and changes for NPC merchants would be needed, but how many players would see difference? Noone instead of having 2 currencies you would have one and you could do same thing with it as now.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Since you can buy the other proofs with the current one on a 1 to 1 basis I don't see the need to have multiple separate ones. I buy off HPs all the time but since there's a 1 for 1 exchange rate it's just dumb to have 3. Especially with the upcoming expansion. Will we have 4 type of proofs then and one more every year after?

It doesn't make sense now as it is. You can change the proofs to one currency and have the HPs be available when you own the expansion. GW2 has tons of conditional stuff at vendors as it is.

This would eliminate the element of choice. How do you choose which expansion's HP's you're going to get if you only have 1 kind of proof of heroics? Especially with HoT HP's I would want the choice left to me, instead of randomly completing HP's from whatever expansion.

4 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

There are no groups in LFG for DRM's. It is dead content and let's be real time:reward ratio is not good. Another point good point for eternal ice I also used it to buy LW4 currency either for crafting or volatile magic so another currency only to convert to something useful. Similar with Blue prophet shards. Imagine merging eternal ice with Blue prophet shards. Of course ratio and changes for NPC merchants would be needed, but how many players would see difference? Noone instead of having 2 currencies you would have one and you could do same thing with it as now.

People who play strikes (and they are the only ones who get blue prophet shards) would notice. Also, the shards are a currency, the ice shards a material, i.e. differently coded items. You don't "just" change one of them to combine the two. There is more work involved so the real question would be: is it worth the investment of resources to change this? If no one would see the difference, as you claim, why bother in the first place?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Some examples of currencies that could be merged- Unbound magic and Violatile magic. make them into dragon magic.

The WvW Currencies, just merge them and make it WvW heroic Tokens.

You can even merge the HOT currencies into one currency, same goes for POF currencies and Icebrood currencies. Do like you did with the Dungeon currencies. You merely adjust the costs needed for items

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

This would eliminate the element of choice. How do you choose which expansion's HP's you're going to get if you only have 1 kind of proof of heroics? Especially with HoT HP's I would want the choice left to me, instead of randomly completing HP's from whatever expansion.

Try to use your imagination. You can have different items on NPC to buy for same currency and each of them unlock different HPs.

8 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

People who play strikes (and they are the only ones who get blue prophet shards) would notice. Also, the shards are a currency, the ice shards a material, i.e. differently coded items. You don't "just" change one of them to combine the two. There is more work involved so the real question would be: is it worth the investment of resources to change this? If no one would see the difference, as you claim, why bother in the first place?

People who play strikes would notice what? That they have more of "new" currency and do not need to go to two different NPC and only go to one? About crafting it is easy to replace. Noone currently playing would notice, but new players would have easier time to manage all of stuff.

You do not do any change without check of what it bring, but first you need to even start to have discussion about it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The main reason for the currencies (I think) is so that when new content comes out, players don't have piles of that currency to buy stuff - they need to earn that new currency on the new map, so keeps them playing for longer.

However, Anet in the past has merged currencies - instead of distinct dungeon tokens, there is now just a dungeon 'currency', though I suppose in that case, that took stuff in your inventory and added it to the wallet.  I'm not sure if they have ever merged wallet currencies (and for the LWS ones, some are easier to obtain than others, which would have other issues)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agreed, this is what world of warcraft retail suffers from, too much bloat, and gw2 hasn't even been out for half of WoW's duration.

They can definitely prune lot of currencies that are pretty much obsolete or combine some of the older expansions currencies.  

We need more consume all features to on stackable consumes, like tomes of xp, still way to much mouse clicking in this game, almost as bad as poe lol.

Edited by DivineDreaming.7206
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

Agreed, this is what world of warcraft retail suffers from, too much bloat, and gw2 hasn't even been out for half of WoW's duration.

They can definitely prune lot of currencies that are pretty much obsolete or combine some of the older expansions currencies.  

We need more consume all features to on stackable consumes, like tomes of xp, still way to much mouse clicking in this game, almost as bad as poe lol.

Just go to the mystic attendant and buy bag of spiritshards then cosume all on those?

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

Just go to the mystic attendant and buy bag of spiritshards then cosume all on those?

In general on many different items, it's not hard to add a consume all feature in 2023, like others said one main reason people don't touch this game is the large amount of clicking/dealing with full bags, it's also not popular in path of exile.

I don't want to click 80 times to lvl my alts with tomes, should be able to consume all/split stacks, pretty easy quality of life to add into the game. You would surprised how many people refuse to play gw2 just due to those factors alone.

• Confused 1