Ranger elite weapon are horse manure to start with...your weapon mechanic gimmick is pointless

Arheundel.6451

That's my overall opinion after a few hours of beta testing......

1. Hammer remains a garbage PvE weapon
  2. Dagger main hand remains a garbage PvE weapon
  3. Staff is barely functional on a bunker druid build and that's it

Overall so far zero reason to spend anything on another PvE expansion, here foolishly hoping that mace/mace is anything but another PvE garbage set ... longbow/greatsword..off we go once again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

Can you elborate as to why hammer and mainhand dagger are bad in pve?

I don't think hammer will work without Untamed in PvE due to basic skills being subpar but it'll sure be fun to use it on SLB. Doubt we'll see any serious usage of it in instanced content though.

On the other hand, main hand dagger on Untamed seems pretty sick and I look forward to trying it.

2 hours ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

I think he means they ARE PVE weapons. No great use in PvP. Therefor garbage. Unless im mistaken.

These are my thoughts on the 3 weapons:

Testing the weapons from the beta is that mainhand dagger on untamed feels unbelievably good for pve/wvw roaming. The amount of bleeds/poison/vuln you can dish out is incredible and the mobility is just as good(especially when paired with staff).

As for hammer, when paired with soulbeast, the raw damage on the tooltip is greater than the damage on untamed. That being said I do believe someone could make a pure dps soulbeast hammer build for pve but it would have a 10 second attack period because of sic em. 

On the pvp/wvw side of hammer, using soulbeast, I feel like it's lacking in damage compared to damage on greatsword.  The hammer does offer nice cc and immob compared to the defensive skills on greatsword, however, the greatsword somehow offers better damage through maul (which has no conditional affects by the way)than hammer does with wild swing. Even when accounting for savage shockwave dealing damage, the hammer doesn't compare to greatsword in damage, even in the defence/utility to damage ratio (if that makes sense).

5 hours ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

I don't think hammer will work without Untamed in PvE due to basic skills being subpar but it'll sure be fun to use it on SLB. Doubt we'll see any serious usage of it in instanced content though.

On the other hand, main hand dagger on Untamed seems pretty sick and I look forward to trying it.

For anyone not aware, you can manually select which hammer skills (unleashed or not unleashed) individually by right clicking on the weapon skill icons. Pretty interesting and I think it gives the weapon more viability.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

Dagger on untamed is indeed very strong and deadly, and will make for a decent condi/power build, that's literally the only silver lining...untamed will become more popular come August

Edited by Arheundel.6451

49 minutes ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Wierd reddit has ranger as one of the most well off with the weapon unlocks lol.

Reddit is mostly pve and I am certain, hammer soulbeast must be a blast there. Bur overall Ranger is nowhere close to warrior, renegade, necro, mesme, engineer development with this weapon master thing....the most disgusting things met yesterday in pvp: Virtuouso with shield....a trillion blocks...pure kitten.....then Vindicator with shortbow...braindead sustain meets braindead ranged damage...beatiful. And what about pistol offhand spellbreaker or hammer holosmith....yeah...

10 hours ago, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

Can you elborate as to why hammer and mainhand dagger are bad in pve?

I believe You can consider my thread an outburst due to frustration. With a cool head I went in and tried dagger untamed, hammer druid and made some positive impact. Maybe I have been too quick to judge, need more time to test, but did get some positive results with the builds I have mentioned. Will see soon how much wrong or right I am

You were too quick to judge indeed, considering that you said Warriors got better weapons out of it. Offhand pistol is a meme, worse than offhand Axe, Daggers are good because of core warr burst removing six boons but it's sustain is tied to Spellbreaker, and Torch. Torch is fine when you consider that the other condi warrior offhand is Sword, but Warriors didn't really get anything home to write about. Mainhand Axe stays a staple of any build.

7 hours ago, BatelGeuce.3591 said:

Since you can select your hammer skills by right clicking them when not an untamed, Soulbeast can use them to great effect. Current bench is 44k, hammer sword/axe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

For anyone not aware, you can manually select which hammer skills (unleashed or not unleashed) individually by right clicking on the weapon skill icons. Pretty interesting and I think it gives the weapon more viability.

3 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Since you can select your hammer skills by right clicking them when not an untamed, Soulbeast can use them to great effect. Current bench is 44k, hammer sword/axe.

Ah that's sick, didn't know that. Then I guess it's hammer time 😄