According to the blog:

Tier Effect Bonus from Both Mastery Tracks
1–Air Rescue 2.0 Grants Air Rescue Air Rescue grants Bond of Vigor
2–Fireball Grants an aerial flame attack while mounted on the skyscale  
3–Wall Spring 2.0 Grants Wall Launch Upgrades Wall Launch to charge faster and launch farther
4–Wind Beneath Your Wings Flying mounts can use updrafts  
5–Combat Launch Gain the ability to mount your skyscale in combat  
6–Ley-Line Acclimation Flying mounts can use ley lines
7–Rising Spirits Updrafts regenerate the skyscale’s flight meter

In order for flying mounts to use ley lines... we also need a previous mastery in PoF.... but the only other ley line mastery is in HoT; ley line gliding. No mount in PoF has a ley line mastery.

Also... if we need 2 masteries to flying mount fly on ley lines... what in Tyria does the new mastery do without the old one: nothing? "Acclimation" means absolutely nothing because Ley Line Gluding goes straight to using ley lines.

In other words... whiskey tango foxtrot!

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

According to the blog:

In order for flying mounts to use ley lines... we also need a previous mastery in PoF.... but the only other ley line mastery is in HoT; ley line gliding. No mount in PoF has a ley line mastery.

Also... if we need 2 masteries to flying mount fly on ley lines... what in Tyria does the new mastery do without the old one: nothing? "Acclimation" means absolutely nothing because Ley Line Gluding goes straight to using ley lines.

In other words... whiskey tango foxtrot!

Updraft is also something you unlock from Mastery in HoT for Gliding, so I suppose we are now expected to have HoT (as PoF are sold today as a package with HoT).

On 7/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Updraft is also something you unlock from Mastery in HoT for Gliding, so I suppose we are now expected to have HoT (as PoF are sold today as a package with HoT).

But the table shows that you will only need the new Skyscale Masteries for updrafts... the table specifically mentions that for mounts to use leylines, it's a bonus for training "both" (edit: skyscale) mastery tracks.

38 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

But the table shows that you will only need the new Skyscale Masteries for updrafts... the table specifically mentions that for mounts to use leylines, it's a bonus for training "both" mastery tracks.

We don't know ar this point of time more then what you have linked in that blog.

If HoT Mastery aren't going to be made obsolete , then some how Arena Net needs to make HoT Mastery relevant for other maps like SoTO.

If look here you can see to unlock Ley-Line Gliding you will have to unlock Updraft first.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley_Line_Gliding

Scroll down to end of page where you can see each step of Gliding Mastery track. Updraft is the second unlock after basic Gliding and Ley-Line is the last  in that Mastery track.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Thorns_mastery_tracks#Gliding

So going by how Ley-Line is supposed now to be something that you will be able to use without dismounting from mount in air to enable Gliding I would expect that this feature are meant for us that have unlocked both HoT Mastery for Gliding and PoF Mastery for mount and Crystal Desert Mastery for mount abilities where we can stay on Skyscale or Griffon without need to have walls ti charge up or tiny ledges to land on.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

We don't know ar this point of time more then what you have linked in that blog.

If HoT Mastery aren't going to be made obsolete , then some how Arena Net needs to make HoT Mastery relevant for other maps like SoTO.

If look here you can see to unlock Ley-Line Gliding you will have to unlock Updraft first.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley_Line_Gliding

Scroll down to end of page where you can see each step of Gliding Mastery track. Updraft is the second unlock after basic Gliding and Ley-Line is the last  in that Mastery track.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Thorns_mastery_tracks#Gliding

So going by how Ley-Line is supposed now to be something that you will be able to use without dismounting from mount in air to enable Gliding I would expect that this feature are meant for us that have unlocked both HoT Mastery for Gliding and PoF Mastery for mount and Crystal Desert Mastery for mount abilities where we can stay on Skyscale or Griffon without need to have walls ti charge up or tiny ledges to land on.

It looks like you’ll be able to unlock mount updraft and ley-line riding without being able to do either with gliding.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It looks like you’ll be able to unlock mount updraft and ley-line riding without being able to do for either gliding.

Yes, it looks like it, but only for player while mounted on Skyscale.

What happens if player need to dismount in air and have only basic Gliding from EoD? Will player not need to complete Gliding Mastery from HoT to be able to use Updraft while Gliding? 

Isn't SoTO meant to be a self containing expansion which shouldn't force player to have already bought EoD (for unlock of Gliding and Raptor) or at least have bought the basic GW2 package with HoT+PoF?

From here it looks like SoTO can be purchased without any of those earlier expansions which also means that those that have only access to core Tyria content and will lack Gliding (when they don't have EoD or HoT (which today is included with PoF)) will have problems when they suddenly need to dismount in air (which they can't without Crystal Desert Mastery from PoF). Air Rescue will only let those player mount while being in air, which isn't the same as Bond of Faith which let you dismount in air.

It is for me unclear if this Mastery track will only be active in SoTO maps or all maps outside of SoTO?

There are some Mastery track that isn't very useful outside of where you get them. As an example Adrenal Mushrooms and Blazing Speed Mushrooms which I don't think have been use in other maps then HoT maps.

Bouncing Mushroom have been later used in other maps like Dragonstorm, DRM maps (IBS), PoF maps and possible other maps that came later with exception of EoD where they have been replaced with Zip lines (+Portal) which one ned Power Core (Jade Bot) to activate and Battery Charges.

[edit: It is very possible that SoTO and all content directly related to SoTO will be built around another version of Skyscale then we had from PoF and EoD, so when we play in SoTO Skyscale will have limitations that we didn't have after PoF.]

It wouldn't surprise me if everybody had to start all over to unlock this "new" version of Skyscale (faster version to get access to Skyscale then in PoF, but still force a path of progression through a linear story line and with map events to unlock mount) and then get these extra feature if you already are finished from PoF with Skyscale unlocks and improvements from Crystal Desert.

It would put everybody that enter SoTO on same page as you will not have access to Skyscale from the very start (need to unlock mount from Mastery in SoTO content).

That would also explain why PR are using "streamline" as a marketing device to hide the fact that even player from PoF needs to start all over (until they have unlocked the basic mount where they instead will get access back to a full version + extra abilities from PoF).

I don't know how SoTO will work when it is time to actually play this content, so it is just what I can read out of that blog/news as one possible way why these changes have been made to get a Skyscale streamlined.

Another issues is that from reading blog again, I don't see anything about how other mounts will work in SoTO. Will we have only access to Skyscale in SoTO maps? No Raptor, no Griffon or even Gliding?

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

I expect they’ll take a page from EOD, and give basic gliding, raptor and Springer access in every expac going forward.

I don’t think anyone will have to re-unlock Skyscale. That would be pretty strange. I expect people who already have it will just have to level the mastery track to get the new abilities.

it occurs to me that the correct interpretation could be:

if you train Skyscale SotO ley line mastery... then you can use only the SotO skyscale on leylines... but if you also mastered LWS4 skyskale, then the bonus for BOTH masteries is that you can also use griffon on leylines.

this interpretation is based on that

1) all the references to "BOTH masteries" in the blog refer to both SKYSKALE masteries.

2) the bonus for both masteries says "flying mounts" plural

3) the assumption that "acclimation" means that the SotO Skyscale can use the leylines. (since Anet chose to be cryptic by using a single word instead of actually describing the effect, and since leylines have no negative effects on skyscales that touch them, acclimation has to either be a buff from touching the leylines, or being able to use the leylines on skyscale))

a "disproof" could possibly be found in mastery 4, saying that it updrafts apply to "flying mounts" instead of only the Skyscale... which could be a typo since the blog says it's a SotO skyscale mastery line., and maybe the typo is that there is a bonus to griffon for the mastery if a second mastery is also trained. But again, this whole post is just speculation, and perhaps wildly.

but alas! the chart is also only a preview.

LWS4 not EOD
  • Like 1

I suspect the simple answer is that players who only have SotO will be able to use updrafts with flying mounts but not while gliding and players who also own HoT will be able to do both. You have to do both the old and new skyscale collections to unlock leyline gliding on flying mounts, so you'll have to own HoT to get that one, but could still end up in a situation where you've trained the new mastery and can use leylines while mounted but don't have the old one to use them while gliding. Players will need to remember which masteries they have unlocked to work out what they can use, but that's no different to the situation now.

I don't see why it's any more confusing than the current situation where the reverse is true - updrafts and ley lines only work while gliding so if you're mounted you'll have to dismount to use them. If someone ends up in a situation where they can only use them mounted it'll be because they're a new player who started with SotO and then they won't have known anything different.

And yes it probably would be a bad idea to dismount in mid air if you don't have gliding unlocked, but again that could already happen if you get a flying mount before training gliding.

19 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I don’t think anyone will have to re-unlock Skyscale. That would be pretty strange. I expect people who already have it will just have to level the mastery track to get the new abilities.

According to discussions in other threads some other MMOs do exactly that - lock existing features when a new expansion comes out and make players unlock them all over again in the new one. It does sound pretty strange and it's not something GW2 (or GW1) has ever done so it seems very unlikely they'd start doing it now, but apparently that's where the confusion is coming from.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

Hm I am not sure that I want ley-line riding on mounts. It depends how much control I keep over the fly direction while in the ley-line. On the glider you have no control you can only turn gliding off to leave the ley-line and the big advantage of the mount is to ignore the ley-line, i.e. you can simply pass through them. If you currently want the line-line (or the updraft) you can switch to gliding mid-air using Bond of Faith already.

In summary, I don't see a big advantage, I just fear a loss of control.

Would be really useful to be able to beta-test it before.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 1:36 PM, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

if you train Skyscale SotO ley line mastery... then you can use only the SotO skyscale on leylines... but if you also mastered LWS4 skyskale, then the bonus for BOTH masteries is that you can also use griffon on leylines

There's no Soto or LW4 skyscale, it's like when they introduced the Bjora Marches vendor to make getting the skyscale easier, or later Return to Living Story to make it even easier, they're adding a new way for people who don't have LWS4/5.

How you got your skyscale is not something easy to check, especially if you consider some people might have a mix of different ways, that is started with one, gave up the grind and resumed it when it became easier.

Masteries, on the other hand, are very easy to check, they already do that all the time, so it's highly likely you'll get abilities depending on which masteries you have (HoT/Soto).

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

There's no Soto or LW4 skyscale, it's like when they introduced the Bjora Marches vendor to make getting the skyscale easier, or later Return to Living Story to make it even easier, they're adding a new way for people who don't have LWS4/5.

How you got your skyscale is not something easy to check, especially if you consider some people might have a mix of different ways, that is started with one, gave up the grind and resumed it when it became easier.

Masteries, on the other hand, are very easy to check, so my guess is you'll get abilities depending on which masteries you have (HoT/Soto).

I think it's quite obvious that I'm talking about the masteries... and not the method of acquisition because of my constant use of the words "mastery", "masteries", and "mastered"... and your stated guess is clearly stated in the blog: 1) train the PoF (LWS4) skyscale mastery track for those ability. 2) train the SotO skyscale mastery track for the new abilities. 3) if you trained both mastery  tracks, you get bonuses. I'm specifically talking about bonuses in 3, while your post only restated 1 and 2

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Efar.8153 said:

the mounting system in gw2 feels like buying a subscription instead of paying once and have the product for life.

why can't we have classic mounts like in wow? 😄

I imagine it feels like Destiny 2 for new players where you might like the game and want to buy something but its just so confusing that you just give up. 

You get trial mount at lvl 10 and you get it permanently if you buy any expansion but not the latest expansion. You get a different mount with the latest expansion. You get mounts with pof expansion but not beetle, that one requires additional dlc. Oh for turtle you need eod. You can also get bunny with eod but you need pof for masteries for bunny. You can now get skyscale with new expansion but to unlock all masteries you need also pof and dlc. 

I think my credit card goes back to wallet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1