About the changes on Runes

8 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I doubt they will. Most of a rune sets value comes from that 6th bonus ability. Example: Rune of the Zephrite is 5-9s. Rune of the Revenant is 1g20s. Only difference is that 6th ability. Maybe if they reworked runes to allow us to pick their bonuses at each level it would allow them to keep some value? But without that capstone ability the difference in spending 30s (Zephrite) vs 7.2g (Rev) for the same stats seems...dumb?

The change is to allow for more creative class building I think. But really, there's only a handful of rune combinations that are worthwhile. So it is likely going to be the relic components that will be the more expensive parts of this.
I suppose my golemancer runes might be better afterwards? Switching from ferocity/precision to some power stats version. This assumes a golemancer relic is available. Still kind of up in the air for how specific relics will be acquired.

It's clearly for more creative build making, it's just a matter of making it both balanced in terms of gameplay and not causing damage to the existing rune reputation. 

It's definitely not gonna be easy, for us or for them (the devs) and it's probably gonna take a while to properly implement into the game.

Although if they add a 6th bonus to the runes in keeping with the other bonuses, overall everyone will get a small buff, depending on what rune they were using probably. And since it's the 6th still it will be the highest out of the rest, so I'm guessing it will still be considerable. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

Although if they add a 6th bonus to the runes in keeping with the other bonuses, overall everyone will get a small buff, depending on what rune they were using probably. And since it's the 6th still it will be the highest out of the rest, so I'm guessing it will still be considerable. 

We really need to see how the new runes and relics are before we can make a final judgment, I was hoping for the beta, but they only showed weapons that I couldn't care less about since I have all elites unlocked on all classes already and beta classes seemed the same as live.

Besides the devaluing of legendaries that's a big issue in itself, I personally don't like having to grind new gear pieces at new xpacs (this is the 2nd already), the main reason I always loved GW2 is that it's always been horizontal gear progression, you can take breaks when you need them without having to worry about your grinds losing value, if that has to change, I don't think I'll be so invested in this game anymore.

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Honestly it's almost impossible to make a game not be pay to win in any way. You need to make every paid thing either add 0 mechanics to the game( so imagine HoT, PoF and EoD having no glider, mounts, skiffs, jadebots) or adding things that are so carefully balanced, and never changed so a new class will just be a esthetically different, and I'm sure no one would like that. 

I, personally, wouldnt consider gliding, mounts, etc (as implemented in GW2) to be pay to win, but purposefully designimg elite specs to be better than core, and nerfing prior expac specs shortly before a new expac is released with superior specs seems to fit the term. 

20 minutes ago, Albadaran.1283 said:

I wonder why Anet did not consider this option: Let everyone keep the 6th rune option they already have, and make it possible to replace it by a relic.

Either they are changing enough 6th bonuses for it not to correlate, or it’ll be to prevent players stocking up beforehand and having a big pile of instant relics

5 hours ago, skillze.7689 said:

locking those items behind an expansion paywall?

Sorry, could you help me to find a quote in their announcement about "only people with expansions can use relic"?

I remember they said everyone can use relic. There are some relics exclusively for SotO, BUT don't forget there are many runes which are exclusively available in HoT. Like Rune of Leadership. Is that a problem? No!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Drag You Down.2615 said:

Sorry, could you help me to find a quote in their announcement about "only people with expansions can use relic"?

I remember they said everyone can use relic. There are some relics exclusively for SotO, BUT don't forget there are many runes which are exclusively available in HoT. Like Rune of Leadership. Is that a problem? No!

Whether or not it is a problem may depend on which relics are SotO exclusive.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Whether or not it is a problem may depend on which relics are SotO exclusive.

Soto exclusive means they can only be acquired in new content, like HoT ones, it doesn't mean you need to buy the xpac to use them, if they can be traded ofc.

Edited by Geralt.7519

3 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

Soto exclusive means they can only be acquired in new content, like HoT ones, it doesn't mean you need to buy the xpac to use them, if they can be traded ofc.

They are probably going to have both, some tradable but some others are most likely gonna be only acquired through a vendor with specific currency and thus account bound on aquire. Intersection to see what these will be though. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Drag You Down.2615 said:

Is it difficult for you to understand, they're removing functionality from legendary runes and putting onto  another item after they told us that legendaries were safe from gear grind.

And with some of those relics being locked behind expansion exclusive rewards its pay2win.

Sigils, Runes, Armor & Weapons were never effected by an additional stat combo because they were baked into the legendaries. So can you please stop with the well HoT got this and that, you obviously dont have legendary items to understand there function.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

lol I play mostly wvw and it doesn’t bother me to swap out some gear and change a build every once Inawhile. So I guess wvw is going to be empty while everyone regrinds to get there 6th bonus back. 

Ive been saving my reward track potions in the hope that there will be a relic track.

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

Still no answer? Who thought this would be a good idea to haphazardly announce this without any clarity. I’ve never been critical of Anet but this is annoying. 

Check the Dev tracker, but here you go.

Will Relics invalidate legendary runes? [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello everyone, we have been following this conversation and continuing to read your feedback since my last post, and I'm here to give you another quick update. Like other major elements of the expansion, we’re planning on providing more information on relics before launch. For relics specifically, we’re working to get that blog ready for publish on July 18—and because I know you’re wondering, that timeline is so we can write it, review it for accuracy, edit it, and translate it into all supported languages.

We know that the legendary rune compensation is of great interest to you, and we'll be sharing more of our plans about that in the blog post. While that's still coming, I want to clarify a bit about my note on compensation. This will not be an unrelated item; it’s going to be part of the relics system. We’ll have more details in that upcoming blog post.

Finally, I want to thank you all for continuing to have this conversation and share your feedback with us. It’s been helpful and we all appreciate it.

Edited by skillze.7689

35 minutes ago, Yvern.7608 said:

I see some very angry people calling this change p2w but we all know we're all just going to use things like Relic of Scholar which comes without expansion and not look at 98% of other relics 😉

No we all dont know that since that relic might change just look how they changed relic of the thief.

Current rune 6th bonus +125  Precision; increase strike damage by 10% when striking a foe from behind or the flank or when they are defiant.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/combat-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

Relic of the Thief: “Upon striking an enemy with a weapon skill that has a cooldown or resource cost, gain 1% strike damage for 6 seconds, up to a maximum of 5 stacks, and refresh duration of all stacks to 6 seconds.”

So it dont work on skill 1

Edit

I wonder how many classes can keep the 5% up since alot of weapon skill 2-5 have more then 6 second cd.

Elementalist and engineer?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 1