Beta character's name

so, I tried to create a new character to use my level 80 boost and found that the name I want to use is already in use. That name is the same one I used for the Beta character, which I assumed was gone or deleted. Therefore, I assumed the name was free to use, but apparently, I was wrong.

is this permanent? Have I lost access to that name forever or something?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

so, I tried to create a new character to use my level 80 boost and found that the name I want to use is already in use. That name is the same one I used for the Beta character, which I assumed was gone or deleted. Therefore, I assumed the name was free to use, but apparently, I was wrong.

is this permanent? Have I lost access to that name forever or something?

On 6/30/2023 at 4:00 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Well if you have one with a name you want to keep you better delete it before beta ends.

It took them quite awhile to delete them last time.

It is almost like this have happened before.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

As explained, the beta toons are locked and kept for a while. When they are deleted the regular name retention system steps in;
- The first 24 hours are reserved for the account the deleted character belongs to, only you can claim the name.
- After this, everyone can claim the name

As it is impossible to know when the 24 period starts there are two things you can do:
1: try it on a daily basis. keep in mind that once claimed, you can delete that character to start another 24 hours for you to re-claim the name. So don't bother bout looks, click through the character creation menu quickly to the last step to check if the name is available.
2: keep the name obscure and to yourself. The game is over 10 years old and the name was not taken yet, it would be very rare if this changes all of a sudden.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

As it is impossible to know when the 24 period starts there are two things you can do:
1: try it on a daily basis. keep in mind that once claimed, you can delete that character to start another 24 hours for you to re-claim the name. So don't bother bout looks, click through the character creation menu quickly to the last step to check if the name is available.

You can also go to gw2efficiency account > characters. You should be able to see the beta character(s) there if anet hasn't deleted them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1