so they talk about build Diversity?

trunks.5249

i dont think build diversity is the out come in these updates. feels more like they flip a coin and decide who they will nerf and who they make op this time around. been this way since launch. true build diversity would be with the traits they changed have the ability to change it back to any of the older ones in its place. forcing people to change their build over and over every time they make an update is not diversity  by choice. i am not saying thats what they should do seems like it would be a major job. just saying their definition of diversity is flawed 

Edited by trunks.5249
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, trunks.5249 said:

i dont think build diversity is the out come in these updates. feels more like they flip a coin and decide who they will nerf and who they make op this time around. been this way since launch. true build diversity would be with the traits they changed have the ability to change it back to any of the older ones in its place. forcing people to change their build over and over every time they make an update is not diversity  by choice

i made these comments, among other similiar comments last year when they announced their new philosophy:

Thing is...A-net still kind of doesn't get it. It might be that they never will until there is a major shift in understanding the core problem (the balance problem/homogenization problem) 

However there are SOME things they are doing right...it's small, but at least it's a step in the positive direction (like opening weapons and runes up is one of them) But it's just a single step among many that they need to do still. They need to also drop the flawed philosophies already (Purity of Purpose, Standardization, Power Budgeting, Nerf/Buff Procedures) Those philosophies just will not work (or are just straight up detrimental) for a game as complex as guild wars 2.

They should hone in on the focus to altering mechanics... making things useful (not just through buffing or nerfing the kitten out of them, but by altering their mechanical behavior so that things work and flow) and do this kind of fixing on everything. They need to also make mechanics non-trivial...and there's a bunch of other stuff all closely related to adjusting the mechanics of skills. They have been "kinda-sorta" doing that a bit, but the skill effects are still trivial...they need to be non-trivial so that gameplay is not optimizable. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

i made these comments, among other similiar comments last year when they announced their new philosophy:

Thing is...A-net still kind of doesn't get it. It might be that they never will until there is a major shift in understanding the core problem (the balance problem/homogenization problem) the development team.

FTFY

Just look at their idea of Build Diversity in PvE. 

Like mightyteapot said:

"There has never been more build diversity then now." *

* On the Golem in a controlled environment. 

Cool that the builds work there. But that not the world almost all people experience in the game. 

So they change the game for a theoretical scenario while everyone suffers from (bad) changes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okey okey, I mock the balance team all the time, especially someone who's name I can't say or I get warned again *cough*CmC*cough*

But well, diversity is kind of a thing now, just imagine

U need healer? HFB, Heal Rev, Heal mech 

U need quickness DPS? qChrono, condi qFb, qScrapper

U need alac? aRev, aScourge, aChrono, aMech 

And these are just ones I would call decent right now, there are probably more niche builds on Specter, bladesworn and even Untamed

Ofc, there always will be ppl who want an exact build to fill a role, but most of the time, for fracs and strikes and even raids at this point you can take whatever class, I know it because I did it

And most of these builds also have a decent DPS variant, the thing is you can basically fill all 3 needed roles with a maximum of 2 classes, for example u can play guardian and Necro, you can heal and quickness and DPS on gua, then if u need you can heal and alac and DPS on Necro 

Or just go OTP and play renegade and fill all 3

And you can do this on a lot of classes, in PvE the diversity is there, you can make classes work for most of the jobs, it's another thing that if certain builds worth playing or not, but it all comes down to preference and fun factor

Okey, seems like I forgot this is a PvP topic

Edited by Nepster.4275
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The build diversity has gotten better.

Think about it.

There's a couple builds on every thief that work.

There's a couple builds on every warrior that work.

There's a couple builds on every ranger that work.

Same for guard.

Same for engie.

Same for ele.

Same for mes.

Same for rev.

Same for necro, including scourge, though it is under the radar.

The only problem is that during their path to make these changes there is usually an omegafumble that takes everyone's attention. In this case it's cata. When cata gets fixed people will be whining about some other bunker thing.

Be upset, but not blind. The diversity has gotten better. People are just so upset at reworks making class X immortal that they don't notice. This time last year it was much worse.

While CmC absolutely should be memed for the current cata iteration, it's important to realize that the less bombastic changes have been thoughtful and  that there are more ways to play the game than ever before. That stands to become even more widespread with the addition of weapons in the coming expack.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1