Completely Lost...

Hi guys. I recently purchased the Deluxe edition of the upcoming Expansion (Secrets of The Obscure), and my main Character is level 40 (Elementalist). I am in the Queensdale area, which dropped my Character to level 5 for zone. I have not completed the main story/base game, or any of the Expansions so far. I am not sure where to go or what to be doing, am completely lost. I have several level 80 boosts, but not sure if I should use them as I am still fairly new to game and mechanics. Also, what is a good Class/Profession for GW2 beginners? I have been reading on here that Elementalist is a difficult Profession/Class for beginners. Any help is greatly appreciated  🙂

Edited by Shane.4023
Updated

There is literally nothing you have to do.  Everything you do grants experience from killing enemies to exploring the map, completing objectives, or playing through the story content.  If you want to hang out in low level maps you can do that, too.  It's 100% choose your own adventure.  The only thing that really forces you to keep moving through the world are story episodes and collecting hero points to unlock your traits.

As for the 80 boost, if you're confused with the core game you're really going to be overwhelmed if you jump into the expansion content.  On the plus side, if you're finding the low levels too easy and you're getting bored, the expansions are a big jump in difficulty.  The maps are also more interesting and rewarding and the boost gives you a full set of level 80 celestial exotic gear which is perfect for elementalist elite specs in solo play.

If you're looking for some structure, the story episodes that unlock every 10 levels are really about it for what this game provides in its leveling process.  The expansions are structured a bit differently, with maps that are integrated with the story and a loose system of gating content via skill unlocks called masteries.

• Like 5

Thanks for the help and info. Is there a good Class/Profession for GW2 beginners? I have been reading on here that Elementalist is a difficult Profession/Class for beginners. I just feel lost, I want to experience the story and expansions/content. Can I still go through the Expansions too? Any help is greatly appreciated  🙂

Edited by Shane.4023

20 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

Thanks for the help and info. Is there a good Class/Profession for GW2 beginners? I have been reading on here that Elementalist is a difficult Profession/Class for beginners. I just feel lost, I want to experience the story and expansions/content. Can I still go through the Expansions too? Any help is greatly appreciated  🙂

Elementalist is considered one of the most difficult classes to learn, but if you feel you feel okay with it so far and you're enjoying it I wouldn't let what other people say discourage you.  I think it's the best class with the coolest spec in the game: Weaver!

• Like 1

As you are still familiarizing yourself with the game and mechanics, I would not use a boost... Learn, enjoy and progress through the game at a non-expedited pace, and save the boosters for alternate characters down the road. 

If a roadmap is desired as opposed to open exploration, then I would run the Personal story through to completion.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

As you are still familiarizing yourself with the game and mechanics, I would not use a boost... Learn, enjoy and progress through the game at a non-expedited pace, and save the boosters for alternate characters down the road. 

If a roadmap is desired as opposed to open exploration, then I would run the Personal story through to completion.

I have been doing a bit of Personal Story today, and went from level 8 to 11 with my Warrior. Should I do just Personal Story for now, or do other stuff on map such as the "heart" icons? Further thoughts and help greatly appreciated  🙂

11 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

I have been doing a bit of Personal Story today, and went from level 8 to 11 with my Warrior. Should I do just Personal Story for now, or do other stuff on map such as the "heart" icons?

Fully exploring each map you are on, including doing all hearts, getting all waypoints, vistas and points of intererst, is definitely something you should do. It gives tons of XP and will help you find your way in the long run as well.

You won't be able to play the expansion without being level 80 and having the proper gear and gameplay experience, but there really is no rush to go there. Just follow the personal story for now.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

You honestly have to get into the mindset of just doing whatever activities you enjoy in game. There's no right way of playing. Everyone finds different things fun. We can suggest things you maybe shouldn't do, like boosting too early, but even that advice can be disregarded if you really want to try some level 80 content. You can always go back and level another character down the line.
I happen to enjoy levelling and doing map completion. I have about 18 characters who have all gone from 0-80 without using boosts or tomes, but plenty of other players hate that process. You need to figure out if you enjoy it or not and make your own decisions.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shane.4023 said:

I have been doing a bit of Personal Story today, and went from level 8 to 11 with my Warrior. Should I do just Personal Story for now, or do other stuff on map such as the "heart" icons? Further thoughts and help greatly appreciated  🙂

To echo the others, there really is no right or wrong here, or a question of "should"... What the Personal Story gives you, is a focal point and some guided direction, if you are feeling overwhelmed.  It will provide you a nice overview of the core game and Tyrian maps. 

There are added rewards for doing some of those map completion elements... Hearts unlock vendors.  Waypoints provide quick and convenient accessibility.  Map completion within each zone provides bonus gear and materials... So if you want to deviate from your story to explore some of these elements, that's great... But nothing really needs to be done, nor in any order... No need to frustrate yourself trying to reach a vista or complete a heart that is not enjoyable... Do what is fun and if you start to lose focus, establish some objectives that align with your interests and playstyle. 

It sounds like you're doing pretty good. As others have already recommended earlier, exploring and getting 100% completion in each map is one of the primary goals I usually go for first. I always complete all the Level 1 maps then upward from there to the Level 80 maps. Along the way, your character would have gotten to Level 80 and acquired a lot of experience and upgraded gear. This is the typical method to play. But by all means, join groups to complete achievements and beat enemies faster than doing it alone. Maybe you'll meet friends too. The GW2 community is very welcoming and helpful.

Edited by phaserBanks.7386
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:39 AM, Shane.4023 said:

I am a mediocre player and mained elementalist through my first playthrough, including the dungeon campaign. I do not regret it. What profession is supposedly 'best for newbies' is largely subjective. Whichever profession vibes most with you is the correct choice. Feel free to dabble in a few to get a feel.

This being said, yes, ranger, guardian and necromancer are probably more forgiving. Also, the community tends to discourage newbies from using their level-80 boost until they have levelled one character manually all the way there. I concur with that philosophy, unless you are a natural-born elite player.

Each personal story part gives you like 3 levels or so,  making it a good source of experience. Overall, playing personal story for the first time is pretty fun and the first 2 chapters will be different for every character you made different choices for during creation and the third will be unique per race.

As others mentioned, nothing wrong with going out exploring too. Experience gain in GW2 is static, meaning you get the same amount experience for stuff regardless of what level you do it at - unless you're underleveled for the zone, then events reward less among other debilitating disadvantages. The only exception are consumable items, Tomes of Knowledge and Writ of Experience that give EXP relative to character level. Also, even though enticing at the start, don't select Tomes of Knowledge from the Chest of Loyalty once you get it - it's the last login-reward per cycle.

Edited by Endaris.1452

Hi again guys. I am currently playing as a Warrior, and like it so far. My Character is level 14 and I am in the Divinity Reach area. I have played some of the personal story where I help the Seraph Commander Thackery with the bandit problem, and just finished the quest where I defeat the commander of Ministry (?). Anyway, Thackery said he would contact me later, but now I am not sure what to do, as personal story is not pointing me where to go next? Any help appreciated  🙂

Hi again guys. I am currently playing as a Warrior, and like it so far. My Character is level 14 and I am in the Divinity Reach area. I have played some of the personal story where I help the Seraph Commander Thackery with the bandit problem, and just finished the quest where I defeat the commander of Ministry (?). Anyway, Thackery said he would contact me later, but now I am not sure what to do, as personal story is not pointing me where to go next? Any help appreciated  🙂

48 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

Anyway, Thackery said he would contact me later, but now I am not sure what to do, as personal story is not pointing me where to go next? Any help appreciated 

Roam around the map and do what you want till you are 20 for the nest story step to pop up. I personally, when starting the game did let me be guided by hearts and map level. So I did go from heart to heart doing events and clicking vistas along the way. Then traveling to another zone, when reaching the suggested level bracket. So I open the map, look at queensdale(the area around divinity reach) suggested Range of 1-15, then go to kessex hill who has a range of 15-25. But you can do what you want:).

59 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

Whilst awaiting the next Personal Story arc, you can work on completing Queensdale map, or visiting any other starter map.  Or  completing any of the major cities.