The one principle to remember as a revenant

VodCom.6924

@narcx.3570 said:Energy + Cooldowns are fine... If they got rid of energy and left cool downs, you could just spam every ability you have, swap legends/weapon and repeat. You would never have to choose between offense or defense and all game/counter play goes out the window for pure faceroll... You would barely even have to look at your screen--just focus on pressing, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-F1 as fast as you could over and over again, like a little kid in front of a piano keyboard sliding his finger back and forth.

On the flip side, they literally can't get rid of cooldowns on weapon skills without insanely increasing the cost of them. Like, how would it be fair to just cast UA 4 times in a row, swap legends and repeat? You'd literally be invulnerable... Or just spam sword 2 from range forever? Once again, invincible through dmg/kiting. Or just staff 5 back and forth across a team fight endlessly.

People are quick to complain because they don't want to admit that it's a l2p issue. Once you master legend swapping, energy becomes sort of a non-issue.

^all of this. Especially the last line. Mastering legend swapping, patience, kiting, and proper skill selection is key to proper energy management.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@narcx.3570 said:Energy + Cooldowns are fine... If they got rid of energy and left cool downs, you could just spam every ability you have, swap legends/weapon and repeat. You would never have to choose between offense or defense and all game/counter play goes out the window for pure faceroll... You would barely even have to look at your screen--just focus on pressing, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-F1 as fast as you could over and over again, like a little kid in front of a piano keyboard sliding his finger back and forth.

On the flip side, they literally can't get rid of cooldowns on weapon skills without insanely increasing the cost of them. Like, how would it be fair to just cast UA 4 times in a row, swap legends and repeat? You'd literally be invulnerable... Or just spam sword 2 from range forever? Once again, invincible through dmg/kiting. Or just staff 5 back and forth across a team fight endlessly.

People are quick to complain because they don't want to admit that it's a l2p issue. Once you master legend swapping, energy becomes sort of a non-issue.

^all of this. Especially the last line. Mastering legend swapping, patience, kiting, and proper skill selection is key to proper energy management.

Yup, so much this. Please people (goes to anyone always calling Rev bad) get away of the class already if you want it to be as faceroll easy as other classes around(for instance Warrior), Revenant is obviously not for you if you can't handle the resource management and decision making that comes with it. Removing energy costs or cooldowns would totally break Revenant and make it less interesting.

Right now it's actually a really fun and active class outside of Speed Raid Runs: Good for carrying people in PvE if you are capable of it and in PvP it's a class with a really high Skill Floor and Skill Ceiling with good reward, in fact it is probably the most well balanced class in PvP right now (High Risk/Med-High Reward), they only need to keep nerfing/tuning down other low risk/high reward builds and PvP would be in a much better place but that's talk for another time.

I don't mind the energy management bit, like you said, more of a challenge. Its why I love Engi as well! I would just like to see rev get some love again, become viable in raids, all/most bosses, not 2! Just bump up the damage a bit or even just give us some utilities we can share! Am waiting with baited breath that Renegade delivers in that regard and in a week we shall see!! Gonna make it work no matter what!!!! ;P

Love how people are still going "We play revenant cause its the hard class!". As far as I can tell, max raiding DPS rotation is literally 5 abilities you use on cooldown, that you swap for more energy. Yes, you sure are the most hardcore elite people out there! This hits 30k, which puts Rev at about the middle. And as far as I can tell, is insanely boring.

Please show me proof otherwise if you want to refute the above claim. Because that is all I've seen.

@Fractured.3928 said:Love how people are still going "We play revenant cause its the hard class!". As far as I can tell, max raiding DPS rotation is literally 5 abilities you use on cooldown, that you swap for more energy. Yes, you sure are the most hardcore elite people out there! This hits 30k, which puts Rev at about the middle. And as far as I can tell, is insanely boring.

Please show me proof otherwise if you want to refute the above claim. Because that is all I've seen.

You're not wrong. But the same is true for all raid DPS specs right now, though. I guess condi engi is still "hard," although not really, it's just more buttons than the other classes... And you could make a case for condi reaper after you factor in the constant positioning and rotation editing to not get your combo fields blocked. But like, none of it's hard and the top top dps builds barely even factor in rotations anymore, it's just basic skill priority and using your skills off cd.

I think all the skill claims were more aimed at PvP play.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Fractured.3928 said:Love how people are still going "We play revenant cause its the hard class!". As far as I can tell, max raiding DPS rotation is literally 5 abilities you use on cooldown, that you swap for more energy. Yes, you sure are the most hardcore elite people out there! This hits 30k, which puts Rev at about the middle. And as far as I can tell, is insanely boring.

You're not wrong. But the same is true for all raid DPS specs right now, though. I guess condi engi is still "hard," although not really, it's just more buttons than the other classes... And you could make a case for condi reaper after you factor in the constant positioning and rotation editing to not get your combo fields blocked. But like, none of it's hard and the top top dps builds barely even factor in rotations anymore, it's just basic skill priority and using your skills off cd.

You aren't wrong by any means. I'm just getting bored of all the "Rev is the elite spec with its super hardcore Press F1 to get your energy mechanic". It isn't a valid reason to hold back Revenant for the awesomeness it could be.

Yea, that's a lot of the reason I quit using my Rev, tired of the "press 1" to win, keep facet going. Was boring as but I can say that cPS rotation is now getting there as well. Get adrenaline, F1,swap, F1, Lb skills til no adren and repeat. Again, gets kinda old. Powerful...but old. Now I am enjoying using more than 1 skill on mace, and its fun and different for a change. Will it get old as well, most likely, as I reckon they all can after a bit. Key is to keep it fresh!! ;)

@Joxer.6024 said:

Yea, that's a lot of the reason I quit using my Rev, tired of the "press 1" to win, keep facet going. Was boring as but I can say that cPS rotation is now getting there as well. Get adrenaline, F1,swap, F1, Lb skills til no adren and repeat. Again, gets kinda old. Powerful...but old. Now I am enjoying using more than 1 skill on mace, and its fun and different for a change. Will it get old as well, most likely, as I reckon they all can after a bit. Key is to keep it fresh!! ;)

I don't even raid, haha. I use sword/axe purely right now in PVE. I love teleporting all over the place, it's so much fun! The problem is, to keep it up, I can't really use any of my utilities at all. And with the Shortbow coming out, I'll have a weapon I can switch to, will just make it so I use utilities even less.

All I want to do is be an outrageously mobile freak of nature, while being able to use utilities, and not having to swap on cooldown.

/cough Also, a decent heal would be nice too.

@narcx.3570 said:

Yeah

@Fractured.3928 said:

@Joxer.6024 said:

I don't even raid, haha. I use sword/axe purely right now in PVE. I love teleporting all over the place, it's so much fun! The problem is, to keep it up, I can't really use any of my utilities at all. And with the Shortbow coming out, I'll have a weapon I can switch to, will just make it so I use utilities even less.

All I want to do is be an outrageously mobile freak of nature, while being able to use utilities, and
not having to swap on cooldown

Yup, as I predicted it. You just want a warrior with a different class skin, not having to worry about any kind of micromanagement or class mechanic at all.

And a decent heal? What is that supposed to mean?

@XxsdgxX.8109 said:

@narcx.3570 said:

Yeah

@Fractured.3928 said:

@Joxer.6024 said:

All I want to do is be an outrageously mobile freak of nature, while being able to use utilities, and
not having to swap on cooldown

Yup, as I predicted it. You just want a warrior with a different class skin, not having to worry about any kind of micromanagement or class mechanic at all.

And a decent heal? What is that supposed to mean?

Maybe I just suck with the heals, but other classes get a damn near full health heal, just for using it. Rev gets a pretty minor heal, with contingencies attached. At least with Shiro and Mallyx.

And I've gone over it, pressing F1 is not micromanagement. Its dumb, and forces you into something you may not want to be in just so you can keep doing things. It also restricts a large amount of utilities. How many utilities do you actually use in PVE for each stance?

@Carighan.6758 said:Now to be fair, VodCom is correct in that in a way this is comparable to mana in post-WoW RPGs (where it regenerates at a speed which is significant during combat). Although I think it's more comparable to a Rogue's energy, to stay with WoW comparisons.

And plenty mana or energy using classes also have cooldowns on top of everything else!

The problem is actually the other way around. Classes other than the Revenant are not double-restricted, when virtually all classes in all MMORPGs are, always having some resource requirement and a cooldown. And frankly in direct comparison, I find the "old" method more useful for this genre. The GW2-method leads to very spammy combat.

Not in Elder Scrolls Online. They don't have any cooldowns there just a resource requirement. I would have loved playing a rev that way, with energy as the only thing I have to manage.

Archived