Playing a melee oriented class in a ranged favoured game.

WingSwipe.3084

Most fights ive experienced in GW2 heavily favor ranged combat as compared to melee, be that in PVE or PVP.

As a warrior main I've felt this hits harder on that profession then most professions, seeing as it has no great ranged options.
Longbow on berserker is the only one ive felt that does good damage, but for power alternatives there is precious little that can be done except for the Riflezerker with full signets.

The new rifle updates provided some welcome changes (besides the brutal shot) and created some oppurtunities where greatsword now falters (Rip Arc divider).

But what would be needed to make rifle a solid staple of the warriors meta weapons?
What could we have as offensive ranged abilities like other professions?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Or, you know, mainhand pistol?

I'm still miffed we only got offhand pistol with Bladesworn, and that its reduced range effectively makes it a melee weapon.

It would be kinda cool to run double pistols at close/melee range. Just blasting the kitten out of people point blank like a gunslinger stuck in CQC.

3 hours ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

It would be kinda cool to run double pistols at close/melee range. Just blasting the kitten out of people point blank like a gunslinger stuck in CQC.

Something like turning MH pistol in a brussknucklem everytime you hit there's a follow up explosion, that's how I imagined it.

ย 

• Like 1

Yea i first timed today into PvP again after leaving it for some days...... this game is clearly favorited for ranged class. You get no chance against them cause even your cc's (there to handle ranged kitten) does not deal dmg anymore. Time to leave PvP aside again..... this was once my by far favorite gamemode but rn i can not enjoy it anymore^^

• Haha 1

Itโ€™s not necessarily range that is an advantage, but mobility imo. Specifically, fast mobility skills; teleports, long range leaps, super speed.

These let you control the pacing of a fight, whether melee or ranged. Go fight a ranger who isnโ€™t running some sort of fast-mobikity skill or a scepter ele not running super speed on air. Theyโ€™re sponges that canโ€™t get away once you close range.

Range is a factor, certainly, as are many other factors. But I feel that in the โ€œcontrolling pacingโ€ aspect of a fight, high-speed mobility is a more impactful factor than range. Thatโ€™s why Bulls Charge is such an invaluable utility. Because it gives that mobility needed for Warrior to keep up with most things, since our weapon kit mobility tends to be on the slow end.

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 3

@oscuro.9720 yea i realy miss the time where warr was like the Second fastest class cause it got like nearly perma swiftness. Now its like every class get Access to swiftness plus superspeed while been ranged and gain some Port skills plus are not punished by melee classes for get cced cause no CC is allowed at all xd

• Thanks 1

But if we stick to the current topic of what would need to be done.

I play a lot of rifle on warrior for the comfort factor of it simply being ranged. Hell, ive switched to playing condi berserker for the comfort of ranged gameplay a lot recently.
Warriors rifle just feels plainly inferior to longbow for the role its filling.ย 

Id say bump up the scaling and base numbers in PVE by a good margin and in general to make Killshot (Or kills h i tย  as its called) charge faster, doย MUCHย more damage per bar of adrenaline or remove the requirement for it to prevent movement while casting.

As for abilities that would be cool to see ranged, a javelin toss toss that can work as a pull would be interesting. Could even replace bolas with it.

7 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Itโ€™s not necessarily range that is an advantage, but mobility imo. Specifically, fast mobility skills; teleports, long range leaps, super speed.

These let you control the pacing of a fight, whether melee or ranged. Go fight a ranger who isnโ€™t running some sort of fast-mobikity skill or a scepter ele not running super speed on air. Theyโ€™re sponges that canโ€™t get away once you close range.

Range is a factor, certainly, as are many other factors. But I feel that in the โ€œcontrolling pacingโ€ aspect of a fight, high-speed mobility is a more impactful factor than range. Thatโ€™s why Bulls Charge is such an invaluable utility. Because it gives that mobility needed for Warrior to keep up with most things, since our weapon kit mobility tends to be on the slow end.

That's probably true in PVP/WVW but in PVE there's been an increasing amount of "Melee hate" mechanics where being near the boss is a death sentence. In those situations Ranged is definitely an advantage, all mobility would do is get you killed faster.ย 

Edited by Jzaku.9765
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 3:50 PM, Lighter.5631 said:

or maybe it's just warrior๐Ÿ˜œ

you could just play melee spec that does decent, like rev, soulbeast, thief, willbender. ๐Ÿ˜›

That hurts on multiple levels, the fact that people make warrior semi work right now is a display of how dedicated mains of this profession is.

2 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I completely don't get what you ppl are on about.
With the amount of stab, mobility and complete stike damage immunityย  warrior is the last profession that has to worry about anti melee mechanics..

ย 

You can't do that and be dps at the same time, and not everything is stopped by endure pain and feel no pain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I completely don't get what you ppl are on about.
With the amount of stab, mobility and complete stike damage immunityย  warrior is the last profession that has to worry about anti melee mechanics..

ย 

A good amount of the stability generation is locked to spellbreaker, and endure pain only lasts 3 seconds with a 40 sec cooldown. So if you dont like that playstyle your are kitten out of luck.

Of course you can run berserker and spec into it so you get more lesser endure pain procs but you lose 15k dps the moment you start taking defensive traits.

While you stat for full defences to you can participate in 50% of a fight, the ranged classes are just tearing it up. Usually while having more boon and defensive abilities.

ย