In a future update...

5 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

I don't mind expansions expanding the story end of things. EoD didn't grant me anything that I necessarily care about as a feature, so it is on par. However, it seems like we won't be getting a Tengu anytime soon. Maybe I should put my skiff, siege turtle, and fishing rod on a sacrificial altar? Sacrifice them them to the demons in SotO in exchange for the power to make a Tengu character? Sounds like a good idea, if you ask me.

people have been wanting tengu since the first year the game came out. do not think it will ever happen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That was before they saw the abominations presented as "Tengu" in EoD. 😆

i would be fine if a mage got mad and turned them into griffons and we have a griffon mount that talks crap to us while we are flying  like the legends on a Revenant lol

Edited by trunks.5249
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

It all depends on what your idea of "full price" is. The base price is $25 bucks - which players spend often on exclusive mount skins. Personally, I don't think $25 bucks a year for a yearly stream of additional content is an unreasonable ask. 

$25 is nothing if the entire thing dropped at once upon initial release. $25 for Anet "promises" for features that may - or may not - actually come to fruition on a haphazard schedule that has obviously not been hammered out as yet? It's not an unreasonable ask, it's just B.S.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Duglaive.5236 said:

$25 is nothing if the entire thing dropped at once upon initial release. $25 for Anet "promises" for features that may - or may not - actually come to fruition on a haphazard schedule that has obviously not been hammered out as yet? It's not an unreasonable ask, it's just B.S.

I'm not sure what this really argues though. The fact is, some players pay 25 bucks just for a skin in GW2. Period.

And you're making some pretty sketchy assumptions - "features that may or may not actually come to fruition" - what's that even mean, man. You really expect ANet to back off from some of the major announcements they've made with Soto?

I dont know, dude. I would have paid 25 bucks just for the pve legendary armor alone. 

Edited by Jianyu.7065
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/1/2023 at 11:31 AM, solzuul.6294 said:

There is some ambiguity in their posts as to which quarterly update brings certain content. Not all masteries and relics are coming on launch. Fractal release, CM strike release, and legendary relic release are unspecified. IIRC new weapon choices, 3rd map, and legendary armor are coming on the 2nd quarterly update which puts it in 2024. 

On launch you get 2 maps + hub, 3 core relics, 2 masteries, 2 strike missions, and weapon master training unlocking elite spec weapons for your base class.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

This sounds to be right.  What really concerns me is the mini expansion cycle.  It's gonna take them till Christmas 2024 to finish releasing (if we're lucky) all the things they are selling us in Aug 2023.  The problem is that it should be time for the next mini expansion by Christmas 2024.  Which means they will sell us that one, and have nothing ready at release.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

. You really expect ANet to back off from some of the major announcements they've made

ANet announced wvw aliances in 2018 and then almost immediately put the project on indefinate hold without any form of notice to those players who continued to spend money on the game thinking that their favorite game mode was getting some much needed development.

So, do I think that any promise or reference to future development is to be taken with a grain (or pound) of salt.

Oh, and back in June ANet announced that we would get an update about the next wvw world structuring beta event in, "a week or so." Not a word since. This wasnt supposed to be an event, just an update.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:25 PM, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

So, what exactly are we paying for on release for this expansion?

Unless I misunderstood them, what it will entail is

-Wizard's Tower city/outpost

-Flying city overworld map

-Sky island overworld map

-Some new masteries, at least one of which relates to rifts

-Classwide Espec weapons and 1 or 2 new weapon choices per class

-some vague 'wizard's tower' system, no idea what that will be

On 8/1/2023 at 7:31 PM, solzuul.6294 said:

3 core relics

I believe (or hope) that the 'choice of 3 core relics sent to you on release' merely refers to the ones you get for free on release and there will be more core relics to be crafted/found with effects based on the 6th rune bonuses from the previous system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

Unless I misunderstood them, what it will entail is

-Wizard's Tower city/outpost

-Flying city overworld map

-Sky island overworld map

-Some new masteries, at least one of which relates to rifts

-Classwide Espec weapons and 1 or 2 new weapon choices per class

-some vague 'wizard's tower' system, no idea what that will be

I believe (or hope) that the 'choice of 3 core relics sent to you on release' merely refers to the ones you get for free on release and there will be more core relics to be crafted/found with effects based on the 6th rune bonuses from the previous system. 

The new weapons will not  come at  release of the expansion but a later update.

And no the 3 relics will be a choice of all the 40 core relics that will make it into the expansions release so no new to craft or find at release.

They will release more over time tho.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

You really expect ANet to back off from some of the major announcements they've made with Soto?

On top of my mind - Exotic BiS forever, smartphone app to play TP, smartphone app to see WvW in real time, smartphone app to chat with gw2 friends, mini-games (bar fight, polymock), WvW alliances like Ashen said, pretty sure I'm forgetting something else.
If anything one should expect ANet to back off from some of the major announcements.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

ANet announced wvw aliances in 2018 and then almost immediately put the project on indefinate hold without any form of notice to those players who continued to spend money on the game thinking that their favorite game mode was getting some much needed development.

So, do I think that any promise or reference to future development is to be taken with a grain (or pound) of salt.

Oh, and back in June ANet announced that we would get an update about the next wvw world structuring beta event in, "a week or so." Not a word since. This wasnt supposed to be an event, just an update.

I must've forgotten that was a part of a major release that came with a dollar amount attached to it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

On top of my mind - Exotic BiS forever, smartphone app to play TP, smartphone app to see WvW in real time, smartphone app to chat with gw2 friends, mini-games (bar fight, polymock), WvW alliances like Ashen said, pretty sure I'm forgetting something else.
If anything one should expect ANet to back off from some of the major announcements.

Almost all those things were ideas talked about long before release. Long before.  And yes, you are forgetting the things they changed for the better, like Dye Seeds and Map-wide Announcement items.  I'm sure there are more, as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I guess no one remembers the gen2 legendary weapon story collections that were supposed to come with HoT. The story collections were canceled because they took to long to create. Thankfully we got them much faster. Only took until the end of season 4 to get the last one. 

At least we got the first four I guess. 

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Natedog.7549
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Natedog.7549 said:

I guess no one remembers the gen2 legendary weapon story collections that were supposed to come with HoT. The story collections were canceled because they toke to long to create. Thankfully we got them much faster. Only toke until the end of season 4 to get the last one. 

Atleast we got the first four I guess. 

Good point. It's a shame, too, since those initial collections were really good—Chuka's is still one of the highlights of the game for me in 10+ years.

But if I had bought HoT and been psyched about Gen 2 legendaries, well, I'd have been upset if it took upwards of 3.5 years and an additional expansion (as you can't access LW4 without buying PoF, and this was before HoT and PoF were bundled) before getting the one I was looking forward to the most.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jianyu.7065 said:

I must've forgotten that was a part of a major release that came with a dollar amount attached to it.

Move the goalposts all you like but ANet has an established history of not following through on announced future development. Will they do so this time? Neither of us know. I hope they do for the sake of those who buy SotO with the expectation of receiving all of the promised post launch features. I know that I spent far more than the cost of the expac because I was given the false impression that alliances were being worked on.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Almost all those things were ideas talked about long before release. Long before.  And yes, you are forgetting the things they changed for the better, like Dye Seeds and Map-wide Announcement items.  I'm sure there are more, as well. 

Not really. Mobile apps was talked one year before gw2 release. Mini-games was talked even in the same year gw2 was released. Exotic BiS, it was the case until some players began complained there was nothing to do.

• Like 5