To ArenaNet: Who is WvW development lead now?

Pifil.5193

Maybe I missed the announcement and sorry if that's so but I couldn't find anything on the forums or in the news for the past few months.

Now that Floyd Grubbs has gone to Blizzard (since May, according to his LinkedIn profile) who's in charge of WvW? Is there still a WvW team? Are Alliances still being actively developed?

Edit: here's his LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/floyd-grubb-sr-designer/

Edited by Pifil.5193
Added link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

No wonder no one is looking into the lag. 🤭

And running off to the sinking ship of Blizzard... yikes, was it really that bad being the wvw lead at anet. 🤔

Vision Holder for World vs. World tentpole for Guild Wars 2, reporting directly to the Creative Director.
• Lead the World vs. World Team in prototyping the Alliances and World Restructuring features.
• Designed and implemented the Objective Scaling Rewards system to improve rewards for Active play resulting in a 20% increase in player activity with World vs. World gameplay.
• Worked with Analytics to create actionable reports of player activity in the World vs. World play mode.
• Designed and implemented two event chains, four stand alone events and several encounters spanning three zones for the End of Dragons Expansion pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Maybe I missed the announcement and sorry if that's so but I couldn't find anything on the forums or in the news for the past few months.

Now that Floyd Grubbs has gone to Blizzard (since May, according to his LinkedIn profile) who's in charge of WvW? Is there still a WvW team? Are Alliances still being actively developed?

Edit: here's his LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/floyd-grubb-sr-designer/

The short answer is probably yes, but the reality is probably no.  Not that it will matter anyway.  Alliances will LITERALLY be the exact same thing we have now, except that instead of logging into wvw as "current server name" it will be "new server name".  Alliances do NOT address any of the stacking, timezone population imbalances, guilds not fighting each other, etc that wvw has become.  Transfers will still be allowed and will break any semblence of balance the exact same way it does now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

The short answer is probably yes, but the reality is probably no.  Not that it will matter anyway.  Alliances will LITERALLY be the exact same thing we have now, except that instead of logging into wvw as "current server name" it will be "new server name".  Alliances do NOT address any of the stacking, timezone population imbalances, guilds not fighting each other, etc that wvw has become.  Transfers will still be allowed and will break any semblence of balance the exact same way it does now.

Yup this, it's still just stacking with a different flavor lol it solves nothing.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hanabal lecter.2495 said:

Yup this, it's still just stacking with a different flavor lol it solves nothing.

It was only ever meant to balance the population of low pop servers vs high pop servers (which when Anet demonstrated it was like a factor of 5 or something) by using a new kind of player distribution system. It's players that keep propping it up like the magic solution to everything, then the same players tearing it down because it wont do that.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Designed and implemented the Objective Scaling Rewards system to improve rewards for Active play resulting in a 20% increase in player activity with World vs. World gameplay.

20% increase in player activity means everything is fine and there is no urgent need to continue to put ressources into WvW to further improve this "cornerstone". 

37 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

was it really that bad being the wvw lead at anet. 

Perhaps he came to the realization that the entire project of Alliances/restructuring is a dead horse and that he would rather not be responsible for the result. Or the project was stopped internally, as in the past, without telling the players.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Or the project was stopped internally, as in the past, without telling the players.

This is why when people come on here or reddit to tell anyone complaining about anything 'stop being so mean to Anet they are trying!' i roll my eyes a little, because it takes nothing to write a couple of sentances in the forum, yet they concealed the fact they had shut down the WvW developments for years, YEARS!

Edited by Clementine.3896
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 8/18/2023 at 5:40 PM, XenesisII.1540 said:

No wonder no one is looking into the lag. 🤭

And running off to the sinking ship of Blizzard... yikes, was it really that bad being the wvw lead at anet. 🤔

I'm sure it was fine, but the lack of resources must have been frustrating. I wonder how many full time developers are left in the WvW team? The only one I know of has no doubt been working 100% on SotOb and that's Roy from the Rewards/WvW team. Far more Rewards than WvW, I'd guess.

Edit: actually, from reading Floyd's "what I did in ArenaNet" but I'm 100% sure there's no one working on WvW right now, if the WvW lead was designing EoD events you can be sure the rest of the team was working on SotO after his departure.

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, Pifil.5193 said:

I see no problem. When Alliances goes into final development phase, lets say 2028-2034, Floyd will return to Anet to take over the lead again and finalize the project.

Nothing unusual, happens a lot at my work on a daily basis:

person X tells person Y "Hey, I go for a coffee. Back in ten minutes, just in case someone calls." . . . and usually no one calls anyway. 😏

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1