How do we feel about account wide waypoint unlocks?

Digital.4238

Was speaking to a few friends about this over the last few weeks, but some people hate having to go through the rigmarole of getting to a map, or area where one of their characters have unlocked that their current playing character doesn't. Yeah you could easily tele to a friend, but that's besides the point.

Tying map completion to your account would allow all characters on that account to travel to any waypoint previously unlocked, This has its drawbacks, but many benefits and QoL. Map completion rewards would remain unaffected as the map/area isn't complete, just the waypoints are unlocked.

Want to go to an area that your character hasn't unlocked yet? But no one is online so you can't teleport, and have to go through story elements or other hoops to jump through, taking up time that could've been spent elsewhere killing/grinding stuff.

This is in no way a serious request, or even something I desperately want, I just think it's an interesting idea of discussion and would like others opinions on it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

No, you need 1 map-completion for 2 leggies, that would be to easy with WP's unlocked.

Yep. That makes sense. But on the flip side, completing an area still takes some time to complete. If anything, having the WP unlocked just helps streamline the process.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Map difficulty/tediousness is generally tied to hearts or obscure PoI's that don't show up on the map. I actually wouldn't care if wp's were account bound.

That being said, roller beetle already solves this niche problem. In style, I might add.

I didn't take mounts into it when I was discussing this with my friend, mostly because I didn't think they would play a huge factor, and I also don't have the Beetle unlocked yet T_T

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Digital.4238 said:

I didn't take mounts into it when I was discussing this with my friend, mostly because I didn't think they would play a huge factor, and I also don't have the Beetle unlocked yet T_T

Turtle can take a passenger to any wp on the same map (including personal wp's), which can aid in map skipping. But even a raptor can make it from rata sum to orr in decent time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Map portal scrolls exist for this exact reason.

There was also a WP unlock package in the store too, I don't know if it is always there or not though. It unlocked most of the core waypoints.

I understand there may still be some maps that aren't so easy to access, but you can certainly get to a lot of them without a TP to friend or completing story steps.

• Like 1

For new characaters that I want to level up bit by bit, I run thru waypoint to get exp for leveling

But I don't like Gen 1 legs except GS , core Tyria map completion is basically useless to me

So if waypoints are account wide I'll be very happy for not needing to run around unlocking WP for world boss or whatever dailies

🫠

Edited by SilverOwl.5071
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'd actually be interested to know the statistics of people who bought this. It seems so superfluous and not worth the 600 x 6 gems (it's character bound too), if only because you still have to go to the areas around the wp's to reach hearts and PoI's...

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I'd actually be interested to know the statistics of people who bought this. It seems so superfluous and not worth the 600 x 6 gems (it's character bound too), if only because you still have to go to the areas around the wp's to reach hearts and PoI's...

Yeah, I do too. Recharging Teleport to Friend is way better for getting to a boss group through the LFG tool, has many other uses, and is account-wide. There is also the World Boss Portal Device and the Maguuma Pact Operation Portal Device. These are things that just outclass a waypoint unlock in terms of cost vs. value. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't make the Waypoint Unlock Box an account-wide unlock. It would almost make it on par with the other account-wide level gem store purchases.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I know it's a payed item, but Thousand Seas pass offer you to portal to many maps. I found it very useful for my last world completion

Kryta: Queensdale, Kessex Hills, Bloodtide Coasdt, Southsun Cove

Ascalon: Plains of Ashford, Diessa Plateau, Fields of Ruin, Iron Marches

Maguuma Jungle: Caledon Forest, Metrica Province,  Mount Maelstrom, Sparkfly Fen

Shiverpeaks Mountains: Timberline Falls, Lornar's Pass, Frostgorge Sound, Thunderhead Peaks

Ruins of Orr: Straits of Devastation, Malchor's Leap, Cursed Shore, Siren's Landing

Ring of Fire Islands: Ember Bay, Draconis Mons

That was just Tyria, there's also some Cantha and Elona maps. And like all passes it also has portal to capitol cities and more

Season 3, 4 and icebrood portal tomes for living story maps

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:24 AM, Dayra.7405 said:

No, you need 1 map-completion for 2 leggies, that would be to easy with WP's unlocked.

And why you want this? You want to play the game or just skip it?

Entire builds and playstyles are often obliterated by a single cruel patch (like the murder of my thief's beloved ricocheting duel pistols that I'll never recover from) which could kill a person's interest in their class and make them want to reroll (probably why patches like that happen to begin with). There is also no item to change a character's Race. So Waypoints being unlocked would certainly be nice for people who wanted to reroll and retain access to the same content their main had right away.

I had a free Waypoint Region unlock rotting in bank that I enjoyed using to get me to Orr quickly when I rerolled my Male Sylvari Thief main to a Male Human cuz I was tired of clothes never fitting him properly. There's still a lot of stuff to 100% beyond Waypoints anyways. I don't see it being overpowered for map completion, you'll be following the same trails either way.

Added or not though, I really don't care personally as I'm pretty past the point of needing it. It'd probably keep new players around longer. Especially if they're already spoiled by FFXIV; only needing one character for every class/job and allowing race change.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2