Scan for rifts while the Heart is enhanced - how the hell to scan?

Redleaf.4759

Alright, I give up... just because I stop the story half way, and the quest now lead me to nowhere.

I am at Secret of the Obscure storyline, Act 3 first chapter Into the Obscure, where the quest asked me : "Scan for rifts while the Heart is enhanced" - now how to scan? where to scan? 

Before this step it says : "Use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target", what the hell is the motivation? 

Just because I stop play the story for a while, the story broken... any help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

process of scanning for rifts has been explained to you in Act one - you use the mastery skill of heart of the obscure.

what are motivations and how to use them - concept of motivations is explained by an NPC during the step you are at - she gave you your first motivation item (uncommon cryptis motivation) and it's tooltip explains how to use it - doubleclick the item to receive a buff, with this buff, heart of the obscure scanning for rifts, looks for t2 rifts instead of t1.

20 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I wonder if it is a rookie writer mistake.  The devs know the story and forget that the plot progression isn't obvious to regular people.
ah well, good luck.

this is a mistake of the type of "ignored all the dialogue" to the grade of "I have no idea how did you manage to progress the story this far"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Redleaf.4759 said:

Alright, I give up... just because I stop the story half way, and the quest now lead me to nowhere.

I am at Secret of the Obscure storyline, Act 3 first chapter Into the Obscure, where the quest asked me : "Scan for rifts while the Heart is enhanced" - now how to scan? where to scan? 

Before this step it says : "Use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target", what the hell is the motivation? 

I made it past that scan only to find another scan quest that I did, then another and I am doing it but I don't get credit for closing rifts???????  Broken story

I must have done it wrong, since I figured it out from the text of the story itself and I finished the story without problem. 

On a more serious note, you're given an item from the NPC, which you have to double click. That toggles on tier 2 rifts. Then you scan the same way you scanned before. Either click the item under the weapon swap (or right click it and left click the scan to set it, if that button isn't working). Or set a keybind for it in your options panel. 

With the item in your inventory toggled on, it allows you to use the same method you always did to track a tier 2 rift.

Having completed the SotO story, it's a bit difficult for me to go back but I am FAIRLY certain that as you unlocked the Heart of the Obscure item and mastery, there was one of these yellow dialog popups that appeared above your mastery skill hotbar (where your fishing, skiff and personal waypoint resides) that showed you had a new skill available there - to scan for rifts.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scan_for_Rift

You have a default keybind to activate default mastery skill which I believe is the key 'J' - but you are also free to bind this to another key, AND you can even bind the "Scan for Rift!" action to an individual key if you wish too.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:41 AM, Redleaf.4759 said:

Open main map and look for a green star (it is possible you see will only see a swirl that indicate a transition (portal/gate) to where start or continue story mode on another instance of map (remember that there are three map/instances in Horn of Maguuma). It is possible that you need to go to The Wizard's Tower to continue you story progression when you are at stage where you have finished all Rift hunting.

I had that issue where you couldn't see the green bar for progressing Rift's even when I had done all Rift that are needed for finishing that step and had to zoom out on main map to find that Star and go there to continue story when I repeated story to finish up achievements. This happened when I had logged out to take a break and went back to continue and this was the first time I have seen progression bar for Rift below compass/minimap vanish.

21 hours ago, Redleaf.4759 said:

while both of you are talking nonsense here, none of you knows to tell just click on the bottom left corner of the skill bar, and it will begin the scanning.

You can set up a dedicated key bind in Option>Controls for Scan for Rift. It is among key bind for Mastery Skills.

OP when yo scan for Rift you will have to look at two direction from where you have Star Wars effect that looks like stars are blurred together or snow falling. It works like a tunnel where in the end you have the place where Rift are supposed to be waiting to be interacted with or already have started (there is a countdown). Turn you character in that direction you think Rift will be, open up main map and look at what direction your character are turning (arrow form and a brighter cone shaped shade to indicate your characters point of view). Now see if you can see any red indication in form of circle or a red boss symbol for Rift. It is here you Rift are supposed to be which you have scanned for (it might be more Rift around, if that Rift are being closed and another Rift have just been spawned).

Look at main map if you find any red circle (this doesn't always happen) to faster see where you can use a Waypoint and go from there to Rift.

Motivation work as toggle which you need set before you scan for Rift. If you are by a Rift and want to use motivation to increase how much Essence you will get out of it, you will get a pop up asking you if you want to use that Essence (for lower tier Rift then the Essence you have in Inventory).

You also need to check you Mastery as there is Mastery from Astral Ward that is related to Essence and Rift.

17 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

The UI button is masterfully obscured.

And since I have all the mastery skills keybound it took me a while also to remember that there is an UI for it. Just bind it.

That small icon you have click to open the drawer to see all Mastery Skills that you can access this way by clicking is not very easy to see on larger screens. I always use key binds instead when it is possible which also make that option less known for my part...until I needed to find a way to use Rift.

Not sure if game even suggest that you can key bind Scan for Rift....🙄

Use a motivation and then your skill to scan for rifts. Since you managed to play until that point you know how to scan for rifts - previous story steps required you to complete some. For the motivation there can be bugs. This is an item where you receive a free one - but if you need more (or fail to complete one rift with the free one and need another one) you need to craft them yourself (needs the mastery to be trained to buy the recipe) or buy them at the trading post for a few gold. Restarting the story chapter reportedly does not give more free ones.

The item can be used by double clicking and gives a hint in the screen + in your bar with the boons (buffs) an icon indicating that you then are tracking tier 2 rifts. Next step is to close one - and then you are back to be able to fill the remaining part of the green progress bar with other stuff. Only that one time the tier 2 rift is required.

This is the item needed:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Uncommon_Kryptis_Motivation