We need rifle or pistol

Sansar.1302

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I dont really see any reason why a Tyrian ranger would follow an American Wild West theme. Even in the real world, there were firearm-using frontiersmen in the 19th century that weren't in North America.

I think there is mileage for ranger firearms to come from a society where guns have been sufficiently normalised that they're not considered 'anti-nature', possibly with a frontier feel, but making it specifically Wild West would be far too USAmerican-centric.

"Wild West" is just an easy shorthand for a "quasi-mythical era of hotshot pistol wielders, animal spirits, and a deep reverence for the land and its beauty". It's an iconic and instantly recognizable trope to most Western audiences to get across what I mean. Whether we're talking about the Gaucho of South America or the Stockmen of Australia the core principle is the same. They even have much of the same aesthetic as far as those three go, though I'm not nearly as familiar with the cattlehands of Asia during that period.

Besides, I'm not saying we copy-paste an American cowboy directly into Tyria. I'm using the themes and flavor as inspiration for what the pistol skills could look like. Snakes are associated with speed and lethality, so conjuring the spirit of one to visually display the speed of a quickdraw works well. Pretty much everyone was riding horses by that point and horses are a big deal in many cultures, though I do think a raptor spirit would fit better with Tyria specifically since horses aren't really around much in-game. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, the general theme could work, possibly in Ash Legion territory. Rattlesnakes are pretty specific to the Americas, though, so I wouldn't expect them unless ArenaNet picks up their concepts for a mesoamerican themed expansion - and given ArenaNet's treatment of other regions, such a theme is also likely to be pre-colonisation.

Ash Legion homelands are possibly the best bet, though. The charr are possibly the most gun-happy culture in the setting, and there are hints that the Ash homelands might not be as fertile as Blood or Iron territory. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the Ash homelands are cattle or other herd animal country.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, the general theme could work, possibly in Ash Legion territory. Rattlesnakes are pretty specific to the Americas, though, so I wouldn't expect them unless ArenaNet picks up their concepts for a mesoamerican themed expansion - and given ArenaNet's treatment of other regions, such a theme is also likely to be pre-colonisation.

Ash Legion homelands are possibly the best bet, though. The charr are possibly the most gun-happy culture in the setting, and there are hints that the Ash homelands might not be as fertile as Blood or Iron territory. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the Ash homelands are cattle or other herd animal country.

Ash Legion would make a lot of sense. The charr do a lot of animal husbandry for their war effort even now that they have become an industrial power. I could easily see them taking up firearms to chase off poachers trying to get at their beasts. With the Flame Legion largely collapsed I imagine a lot of them could've turned to raiding ranches for food, which would become a major problem pretty fast but probably not one that warrants a full-scale military reaction. The warbands dedicated to ranching would be heavily encouraged to deal with the issue themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't understand why people are going so hard at you...I agree rifle ranger would be so cool, you have the hound dog even...can larp so many looks and vibes...mace is so ugly and boring, like hammer already was ok..got it melee beastmaster kinda ranger...but mace now is just ewwww. I don't care about the "mechanics" of it..what? mace is what is going to make everything perfectly balanced?? Can't create lore for rifle?..gimme a break the game aesthetic is literally becoming harry potter angels, demons and unicorns!!. They don't care..they just want easy to balance snooze fest "new" concepts.

This fear of shaking things up is what is making things so boring.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, aetemes.2603 said:

Don't understand why people are going so hard at you...I agree rifle ranger would be so cool, you have the hound dog even...can larp so many looks and vibes...mace is so ugly and boring, like hammer already was ok..got it melee beastmaster kinda ranger...but mace now is just ewwww. I don't care about the "mechanics" of it..what? mace is what is going to make everything perfectly balanced?? Can't create lore for rifle?..gimme a break the game aesthetic is literally becoming harry potter angels, demons and unicorns!!. They don't care..they just want easy to balance snooze fest "new" concepts.

This fear of shaking things up is what is making things so boring.

Fear of shaking things up? Mace is more likely to do that, if anything. The general mace design is a power-based melee weapon with a bit of defence and CC - that's not something that ranger really has at the moment (hammer is closest, but has no defensive aspects and is a 2H weapon). While the general rifle design is... similar to longbow but more single-target focused.

Now, there is still the possibility that ranger rifle might be something different, but without knowing the specific design I'd have more expectation for maces to shake things up than rifle. It might not be what people want, but the 'fear of shaking things up' argument is not one that holds up to scrutiny.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Fear of shaking things up? Mace is more likely to do that, if anything. The general mace design is a power-based melee weapon with a bit of defence and CC - that's not something that ranger really has at the moment (hammer is closest, but has no defensive aspects and is a 2H weapon). While the general rifle design is... similar to longbow but more single-target focused.

Now, there is still the possibility that ranger rifle might be something different, but without knowing the specific design I'd have more expectation for maces to shake things up than rifle. It might not be what people want, but the 'fear of shaking things up' argument is not one that holds up to scrutiny.

Ummm greatsword halo??..

Shaking things up is creating a new weird possibly busted who knows how it'll turn out concept..not some copy and paste but make the icons look different in the name of walking on eggshells for balance.

I am over talking about boon/dps/defense justice and world peace all the time. Real life exists. I want the fantasy!

Edited by aetemes.2603
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Ranger needs a rifle or pistols. The mace is a boring idea.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Feel blessed.

If they don't plan on nerfing the amount of anti-projectile in the game, Ranger will need to be double melee anyway.

Even I'm saying this.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Really don't see why not give pistol or rifle to ranger as many have wanted that for years and elite weapons like staff, 2h hammer or mace don't fit the class ( Ranger being close to hunter and marksman occupations ) so rifle and pistol would fit so nice thematically with the class 

Edited by Sansar.1302
Bad spelling
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, aetemes.2603 said:

Ummm greatsword halo??..

Shaking things up is creating a new weird possibly busted who knows how it'll turn out concept..not some copy and paste but make the icons look different in the name of walking on eggshells for balance.

I am over talking about boon/dps/defense justice and world peace all the time. Real life exists. I want the fantasy!

Mace/mace would likely have more than greatsword, and has the distinction of being two weapons that can open up different possibilities.

There's no reason to think that rifle is more likely to 'shake things up' than mace. If anything, it's the opposite.

You can want a rifle because you like them, but there isn't any balance, gameplay, or mechanical reason to think rifle would be better than maces when we have no idea on what the skills would be, outside guesswork based on how the weapons operate on other professions and how that might interact with ranger.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

Really don't see why not give pistol or rifle to ranger as many have wanted that for years and elite weapons like staff, 2h hammer or mace don't fit the class ( Ranger being close to hunter and marksman occupations ) so rifle and pistol would fit so nice thematically with the class 

The answer to your question is the same as always for this question that come back every other month on the ranger's subforum:

Ranger's thematic is "nature", Pistol/rifle thematic is "technology". And fantasy games tend to oppose the 2 thematics.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:19 PM, Sansar.1302 said:

Hammer was to appease the group of rangers who pined nostalgic for the "bunny thumper" build from the original GW.   There really was no other reason it was implemented.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have too many weapons with ranged  single target projectile:

Longbow, Shortbow, staff, axe mainhand, axe offhand, dagger offhand, toch.

I think only weapons without the projectile weakness in at least one of their skills is : Greatsword, sword and warhorn.

Mace/Mace would be fine deppending on what they do with the skills. My bet another PvE or PvP focused weapon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

But WHY?

It is not enought to say we want riffles! There needs to be a statment of what type of build it would support.

For example: We need rifles for some power single target combat, like bounty hunting. Longbow has this aoe attack, but we want pure single target bosskiller.

Warhorn can ranged avian attack, so it is ranged weapon.

Edited by evilcat.6817

What's interesting about maces is they can go a number of ways.  It's probably a given that the skills will be AoE, however they could be support but also possibly power or even condi AoE as we don't have much in the way of that (torch, and sb/dagger ambushes come to mind for condi AoE).  

Rifle/Pistol would most likely be more single target--I suppose you could make rifle into AoE skills but we really don't need another ranged weapon like has been said many times.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

On 10/26/2023 at 8:47 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

It's way too late for that wish.

Is it, though?

"Hey everyone, we got new weapons for your favorite classes coming with the new expansion!"

"Oh nice! So if we buy the expansion we'll have new toys to play with!"

"You will! In about half a year after the expansion launches."

"Wait, what?"

Edited by Ehecatl.9172

3 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Melee Rifle then, where you only swing it like a club because there is no ammo to be found in the wilds. 

Put a bayonette at the end of the rifle and it's a spear, grab it by the barrel and you can use it as a hammer.

Joke aside, we got so many rifle and pistol skins showing pointy and edgy blades that a melee rifle/pistol skillset is overdue.

7 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Joke aside, we got so many rifle and pistol skins showing pointy and edgy blades that a melee rifle/pistol skillset is overdue.

But apparently people don't care for one because I literally post a suggestion in Warrior subforum asking for Rifle being more mid ranged and Bayonet Rifle skills to replace dumb kitten like Rifle 5 and get Confuse reacts. 

People just want Ranged weapons to have 1200 range, fires super fast, and lets them bully melees. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

1 hour ago, Sansar.1302 said:

Why do so many hate the idea of ranger with guns ?

We dont. Its just that Anet hates anything that is ranged single target and projectile.

So it will be a weapon that cant be used effectively 80% of the time as long as guardians and ele's etc exist.

Give ranger something that spams out high damage boon stripping unblockable AOE 🤡

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

But apparently people don't care for one because I literally post a suggestion in Warrior subforum asking for Rifle being more mid ranged and Bayonet Rifle skills to replace dumb kitten like Rifle 5 and get Confuse reacts. 

People just want Ranged weapons to have 1200 range, fires super fast, and lets them bully melees. 

The thing is that warrior is really lacking in term of ranged weapon, that's probably why the suggestion received a negative feedback.

• Like 2