Does anyone know where I can find a developer response/discussion on the Outfits problem?

Albie.5284

(Please keep in mind this is not for player theories, I'm trying to find any old comment made by a developer that confirms the limitation behind stuff like this)
We know that ArenaNet is still committed to using outfits as one of the ways to monetize the game, after looking at some outfits I wanted to buy, it dawned on me that some of them do allow you to toggle off the gloves(By hiding your armor set gloves) but NONE allow you to toggle off shoulders, even in outfits where shoulders are distinctly different pieces.

I've been looking around, and there are many posts about this, but I couldn't stumble on any dev response on why this is the case.

So my question(as the title says) is:
Anyone here knows if there's a post/comment/video of the developers talking about these kinds of things?

Appreciate the help! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

probably shoulders in outfits is developed in single "piece" as chest(even if they don't look like it), so they cant hid shoulders without chest.

There are all kinds of possible reasons, and this is one that always came up, but a group of friends and I are looking for any developer comments to stop us from making theories and arguing about them when we don't know the real answer for sure.

So this post isn't about making more assumptions, it's about finding information in previous discussions!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Hello, I have a soulbeast class character who uses medium level armor in the game. and medium weight armor boots look very bad.

when turning off the appearance of hardware attachments such as gaming gloves and helmets, Bots view is not turning off, why?

gloves and helmets closing if possible, for boots invisible boots 3000 gold. should i buy invisible boots.

Why is it so expensive and difficult to shut down bots when others are free?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, TURAN.9487 said:

Hello, I have a soulbeast class character who uses medium level armor in the game. and medium weight armor boots look very bad.

when turning off the appearance of hardware attachments such as gaming gloves and helmets, Bots view is not turning off, why?

gloves and helmets closing if possible, for boots invisible boots 3000 gold. should i buy invisible boots.

Why is it so expensive and difficult to shut down bots when others are free?

Go to the bank and use the Wardrobe tab to look at all the available medium boots, you might find some you like because they're not all the same. The Bear and Raven Ceremonial Sandals, some of the cultural ones, Martial Artists Footwraps and the Sanctified Boots especially.

As for why you have to buy a special item to hide your boots instead of using a checkbox like gloves, shoulders and hats the story is it's because there's 1 person at Anet who wanted to be able to hide boots and kept asking for it, but the people who design the UI didn't like the idea or didn't think enough people would want it to justify the time required so they kept turning him down, then one of the people who make armour skins made invisible boots as a work-around and because that goes through a different approval process (and maybe because they can use them as a reward) it got approved.

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

As far as I recall, there has been no dev response to this specific question/issue, however,  you can go through the Dev Tracker to see if you can find one: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discover/6/

Thank you for the reply! I went through it, sadly I don't think there's anything in the forums, if there are then it's gonna be hard to find, I've also been looking throughout Reddit to see if there's anything there too!

As for the replies above, I understand the frustration but that's probably for an entirely different topic, the Outfit issue is a separate one and we're hoping to find actual developer info or even just info about the game limitations that make it impossible!

• Confused 1

They gave up on toggling off gloves for outfits long ago I think. I don't remember the last one that allowed it. They just throw them together as one solid chunk to save time/effort.

I just wish I could at least toggle the Outfit Helmet off and it'd show my Armor's Helmet instead if it's toggled on. Helmets are the one thing that stay consistantly able to hide, so why not let us use armor Helmet? The upcoming Outfit looks cool but I sadly wont be buying it just cuz I cant change the Helmet.

(Anet also VERY rarely comments on fashion related issues and philosophy. The only time I heard them ever talk about anything at all before is when Paul Ella mentioned on stream their "Silhouette concept;" to explain why medium was flooded with trenchcoats. Which was basically them wanting classes to match a specific sihouette to distinguish them apart quickly. Many disliked that reasoning cuz Outfit's being a thing rendered it pointless as well as some of the generic pvp models like female Thief. Hopefully with all this new stuff lately that trenchcoat era dies out.)

19 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Go to the bank and use the Wardrobe tab to look at all the available medium boots, you might find some you like because they're not all the same. The Bear and Raven Ceremonial Sandals, some of the cultural ones, Martial Artists Footwraps and the Sanctified Boots especially.

As for why you have to buy a special item to hide your boots instead of using a checkbox like gloves, shoulders and hats the story is it's because there's 1 person at Anet who wanted to be able to hide boots and kept asking for it, but the people who design the UI didn't like the idea or didn't think enough people would want it to justify the time required so they kept turning him down, then one of the people who make armour skins made invisible boots as a work-around and because that goes through a different approval process (and maybe because they can use them as a reward) it got approved.

No reason it should cost that much though. The drop rate is non-existent and basically the equivalent cost of crafting 3 legendary weapons for something that needed no model work to create and has no visual effects. Really bizarre. The wraps/sandals were a blessing though because I hate how large/ugly majority of medium boots are too~ main reason I wanted to toogle shoes off.

Edited by Doggie.3184