Why this game "lags" in high fps

On 10/3/2023 at 5:24 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Try to disable shadows, or put it to the lowest setting. It may cause stutters on some systems, also with better graphics cards.

False information.  The game lag so bad even on my core i 10  3040 rtx and 64 gb ram ddr4 even with low settings 

• Like 3

Thats especially true in amnytas and tower of the sorcerer , don't know why these places take so much , new assets maybe ? cause first soto map runs super fluid because they are mostly old assets , well put together , but still old assets , the game is gorgeous in art but the graphics are a bit old , so i don't knwo why it lags so badly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Thats especially true in amnytas and tower of the sorcerer , don't know why these places take so much , new assets maybe ? cause first soto map runs super fluid because they are mostly old assets , well put together , but still old assets , the game is gorgeous in art but the graphics are a bit old , so i don't knwo why it lags so badly.

They are large maps with lots of fancy stuff like all the verticality that older maps don't really have.  I think New Kaineng might be comparable, especially when EoD was first released.  The SotO maps also have water areas that aren't actually at the map's waterline like on old maps.  So there's something extra going on there too.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Do you remember players limited to the 32-bit client would experience performance issues and crashes on the memory-hungry maps of HoT?

Yes, but that problem doesn't exist today (32-bit client is dead). Also, I doubt very many players would still run machines that were considered outdated in 2015 today. The problem in the new maps is culling, which doesn't work properly. You can test that by looking at certain walls. A good game engine would cull everything behind it, so your FPS would increase quite a lot. On the new maps, this doesn't happen. Your performance stays the same if you look in the same direction, but moved to the side to not have the wall in front of you (so you see the rest of the map).

Edited by ZenDrake.8316
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Yes, but that problem doesn't exist today. Also, I doubt very many players would still run machines that were considered outdated in 2015 today. The problem in the new maps is culling, which doesn't work properly. You can test that by looking at certain walls. A good game engine would cull everything behind it, so your FPS would increase quite a lot. On the new maps, this doesn't happen. Your performance stays the same if you look in the same direction, but moved to the side to not have the wall in front of you (so you see the rest of the map).

Not that exact problem, no, but the point I was leading to is to show how over the years new maps have been requiring higher amounts of computing resources.  Prior to the SotO release, the minimum system requirements were even updated.  Also, SotO is the first DX11-only expansion in GW2 and I can't help but think that plays into it.

I'm not too certain about your claim with regards to culling on new maps.  Reflections is one of the first settings recommended to be turned down because it's well known that the game renders them even though you don't see them, like the entire waterline surface under maps.  I would say that's a problem that exists not only on new maps.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Yes, but that problem doesn't exist today (32-bit client is dead). Also, I doubt very many players would still run machines that were considered outdated in 2015 today. The problem in the new maps is culling, which doesn't work properly. You can test that by looking at certain walls. A good game engine would cull everything behind it, so your FPS would increase quite a lot. On the new maps, this doesn't happen. Your performance stays the same if you look in the same direction, but moved to the side to not have the wall in front of you (so you see the rest of the map).

it seems that umbra culling was removed with directx 11 (it fails to initialise), just like the nvidia physx physics on foliage and stuff. they simply didn't port some of the established technologies to the new graphics api and went only with what dx11 supports out of the box.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

umbra culling was removed with directx 11

Might be the case, but culling itself is a native DX11 feature (it's a basic principle in 3D graphics anyway, would be surprising if it didn't ship with it). I don't know how good that one is, but I do see differences in framerate when doing this "look at wall vs look next to wall" thing in other maps as opposed to the new ones.

Edited by ZenDrake.8316

two of my friends play just ok with very high fps and they can't stand any lag.  

They don't, they just don't know what lag or stutter is.

I am into this game for 11 years now over like 5 CPUs from Intel and AMD and 7 graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia - always performance or high end specs, always technically overkill for what this game should demand.

This game always ran like crap.  It uses a modified GW1 engine which could barely handle the 2012 content and is collapsing unter the 2023 content. This will never get better. The dev postings about the various middlewares they are using are telling that they can't handle their own engine anymore and are bandaiding left and right - probably no old devs left.

If you can't handle the poor perfomance better play another game.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Might be the case, but culling itself is a native DX11 feature (it's a basic principle in 3D graphics anyway, would be surprising if it didn't ship with it). I don't know how good that one is, but I do see differences in framerate when doing this "look at wall vs look next to wall" thing in other maps as opposed to the new ones.

the developers perform most of their surface culling in software as this engine was ported from the first game and originates from 2001 or so. umbra was the only gpu-culling option they implemented and i doubt they rewrote the gpu culling code for directx 11 as it just seems disabled.

the older maps a far less intensive as they were designed to run on hardware that was a decade older; cantha maps have their own slowdowns.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134