I have too high hopes for Pistol...even knowing I will be disappointed

Arheundel.6451

On 10/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, Chyro.1462 said:

Anet: wouldn't it be cool if pistol did those big charge up blasts that you have to stand still for 3 seconds to fire one big elemental bullet? lets add at least one of those in each element, players will love it 🙂

Honestly, I want at least one big bang attack like that in either fire or earth. It should be absolutely devastating if it hits and make you feel like an idiot for getting hit by it. Fun for PvE. Otherwise I pretty much agree with OP. I hope it's 1000 range and a fluid quick weapon that's more offense minded than scepter and staff, plays to power/condition that ele generally toes when they go DPS. I'm pretty confident they'll do it justice.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 4:29 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Honestly, I want at least one big bang attack like that in either fire or earth. It should be absolutely devastating if it hits and make you feel like an idiot for getting hit by it. Fun for PvE. Otherwise I pretty much agree with OP. I hope it's 1000 range and a fluid quick weapon that's more offense minded than scepter and staff, plays to power/condition that ele generally toes when they go DPS. I'm pretty confident they'll do it justice.

How about a skill that does more damage the more you charge it (stay pressed on the keybind, limited to a certain time until it goes off on its own) then it fires once you release.

It’d give more player agency and not make the skill totally useless in PvP situations.

Edited by Scar.1793
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scar.1793 said:

How about a skill a does more damage the more you charge it (stay pressed on the keybind, limited to a certain time until it goes off on its on) then it fires once you release.

It’d give more player agency and not make the skill totally useless in PvP situations.

That's brilliant. I'd love it. 👍

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

At this point I wouldn't be surpised if pistol were yet another melee weapon.

I mean, making hammer a melee weapon was such a screamingly obviously bad idea but they did it anyway. 

I don't expect us to get any proper ranged weapon so gun being another mid-range or melee weapon will not surprise me at all 😅

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lana Del Bae.7156 said:

m8 u have a persecution complex

sounds like a clear case of Anet ele design screwup PTSD personally

though i thought sword was crap too when it came out, i eventully came to like it a lot over time, but i will be crapping on Anet forever for what they did with hammer. and while we're at it, even warhorn still feels unfinished to me.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

sounds like a clear case of Anet ele design screwup PTSD personally

Kinda yeah, the year when like most professions were getting a redesign, I believe ele was left out, we're still stuck with 2014 ele. We're still waiting for the grace of anet to redesign ele so its up to par with all the other classes.

Edited by steve.2945
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

At this point I wouldn't be surpised if pistol were yet another melee weapon.

I mean, making hammer a melee weapon was such a screamingly obviously bad idea but they did it anyway. 

Even if it's ranged weapon you will end up playing melee most of the time because catalyst and tempest enforce melee no matter what your weapon choice is. Weaver doesn't force it at least but it definitely favours it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emberheart.8426 said:

Even if it's ranged weapon you will end up playing melee most of the time because catalyst and tempest enforce melee no matter what your weapon choice is. Weaver doesn't force it at least but it definitely favours it.

This. Elementalist really needs an elite spec that wasn't designed for melee.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, Emberheart.8426 said:

tempest yes but cata? as long as you have proectile/leap/blast finishers, cata should be fine. pistol highly likely to have projectile finishers... if they don't make it a melee weapon /sigh

I mean... out of all the pistol skills in the game there are only 2 that put you in melee range (warrior 4) or benefit from being closer to your target (engi 4). I think it's safe to assume pistol will be mostly 900 ranged, with maybe a couple exceptions.

I don't think it will fulfil a utility role, but I hope it doesn't step into scepter territory. I think they should solidify scepter as the condi weapon and let pistol be the ranged power option. They should probably do sth similar with dagger and sword, and make one of them better at condi and worse at strike damage. Maybe we'll start seeing this shifting with today's preview?

The main problem ele has is that every weapon can do anything, so everyone ends up playing sword/warhorn. I think, however, there's room to promote certain roles within the flexible nature of ele's attunement system, even hybrid ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

tempest yes but cata? as long as you have proectile/leap/blast finishers, cata should be fine. pistol highly likely to have projectile finishers... if they don't make it a melee weapon /sigh

It depends on whether you're in PvE or competitive. In PvE, the sphere damage is high enough that you're noticeably doing less damage if you're not getting your enemy in the sphere, but you also want to be in the sphere yourself - this restricts your effective range to the diameter of the sphere. In competitive the sphere damage is insignificant so you only care about the boons.