Hey can you fix your servers

WizardBro.4510

25 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You almost crash rendering 120 models too?

No? I run the game at 4k widescreen and usually don't have issues with FPS.

Lag however...been getting bad lag spikes in WvW for a few weeks now, wondering if they broke something with the rush patch or even slightly before with the xpac launch.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, WizardBro.4510 said:

Good meme like I dont already do that. It's nothing I can fix on my end it's purely anets servers. 

How do you assume that? If your up and down to ANet servers is above 1.5 mb/s then I would check your local resources since the game will play fine at those levels, even in three ways EBG zerg fights. Their network code is quite good since I had to live that for a decade till recently. Now at 1 GB/s I see no difference to the 1.5 mb/s days. Local resources in drive speed, CPU and GPU make huge differences in game play. Mileage will vary but I wouldn't blame the servers first even if I am not a fan of Amazon cloud services.

• Confused 3

One thing I've noticed is that for example, if you are from NA time zone playing on SEA time zone, and your matchup has a lot of SEA people playing, you are gonna lag a lot (the other way the same). So I'm guessing the servers do try to account somehow for differences in latency from all the players involved and that's why if you are either far from the servers and playing in a different time zone than yours, you get more lag spikes.

Another one that I've noticed is lag spikes when big groups come out of stealth. Is usually worse when they have been stacking quickness too because everything goes to kitten lol.

But in general, their netcode is not bad.

As for solutions, I've found out that using services to get a better route to servers like Battleping, or WTFast help a lot. In SEA time zone I'll connect to Korea, in NA I'll connect to Seattle, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Why ignore what the OP wrote then?  He wrote something that seemed like both are happening.  Players can help their systems deal with one of those things.

Edited by Chaba.5410

10 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Lag however...been getting bad lag spikes in WvW for a few weeks now, wondering if they broke something with the rush patch or even slightly before with the xpac launch.

My favorite is when you see a dolyak just stop in the middle of the road for a good 20 seconds.  And when the game finally catches up, it's already at it's destination.  It's fun watching auto-attacks fire off maybe once every 10 seconds, and when it bounces back starts firing off 10 times a second.  You can literally see the server operating like a sine wave going from 1/10th speed to 10x speed and back again.  Over and over again.

Edited by MedievalThings.5417
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

How do you assume that? If your up and down to ANet servers is above 1.5 mb/s then I would check your local resources since the game will play fine at those levels, even in three ways EBG zerg fights. Their network code is quite good since I had to live that for a decade till recently. Now at 1 GB/s I see no difference to the 1.5 mb/s days. Local resources in drive speed, CPU and GPU make huge differences in game play. Mileage will vary but I wouldn't blame the servers first even if I am not a fan of Amazon cloud services.

Is it *really* quite good?

Both same evening. Sod all to do with my computer or connection. As said - answers on a postcard because, frankly, what the actual... 

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

Not lag.  That is the player using the hack tool and trolling you guys by moving their corpse.

How could we ever know, its very common <_<

Also, happened again.

Literally never ever had this happen, then twice in 2 nights. Not like I don't die much, I die a *lot*, but once every blue moon in last 2 days. This. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

Not lag.  That is the player using the hack tool and trolling you guys by moving their corpse.

You're trolling.  Not only did he DC in game, but he DC'd in voice comms too.  That's what happens when you have OCX internet trying to play on US-based servers.

The GW2 client has position prediction algorithms that attempt to simulate another player's location on your screen when there is some network latency.

Edited by Chaba.5410

On 10/5/2023 at 9:56 AM, WizardBro.4510 said:

Wvw lag is so bad buy some better servers for the love of god. Its so aids when 2 60 man blobs walk into vision and almost crash your game and you cant use skills at all.

It is really bad now, back to 250ms ping/latency.. and NO turning my graphics down isn't the answer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You're trolling.  Not only did he DC in game, but he DC'd in voice comms too.  That's what happens when you have OCX internet trying to play on US-based servers.

The GW2 client has position prediction algorithms that attempt to simulate another player's location on your screen when there is some network latency.

What is OCX to you m8?  I don't think you know what you are talking about. Quit acting like you do. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Chips.7968 said:

Is it *really* quite good?

Both same evening. Sod all to do with my computer or connection. As said - answers on a postcard because, frankly, what the actual... 

Again I would say quite good. So again I posted not seeing the same while using just 1.5 mbs up/down while in EBG primetime in 3 way zerg fights. I won't doubt you saw nothing wrong with your PC and connection but that doesn't mean the same of the players in your video. On top of that regions may also impact things since different regions use different hosts. Sorry after playing 10 years of a terribad connection it made me appreciate how well they coded their net traffic compared to other games that I played at the same time with less players.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

8 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

but that doesn't mean the same of the players in your video.

Here's a small clip from back in July of the entire squad micro-teleporting to help illustrate.  Everyone in the squad saw the same micro-teleporting on their screens.  This was caused by the game server choking on the infamous "blob guild activates rise reaper" lag switch that two blobs near the tower were using.  The server struggled to keep up with sending other player location data to my client even though my network connection was steady.  When my client did finally receive data from the server, it corrected my client's understanding of everyone's location from what the client-side physics simulation code was predicting and rendering.  This looks like other players rubber-banding.

What you also may notice is that my own character does not rubber-band during this situation like in some other games.  My character certainly rubber-banded on the screens of my squadmates.  The server trusts the client on it's own position reporting in most situations - an example of when it doesn't is when you try to run through a keep portal and it sometimes takes a few seconds to render or the infamous server-side glider deployment that caused so many headaches for players with network latency (is that still a thing?).  The reason for this design is it's one way a game handles network latency issues for players on slower network connections.  The alternative is you always rubber-band, like in Diablo 4 (iirc New World does it too), and that can get extremely frustrating fast.

Third-party teleport hacks only work because they take advantage of this trust unfortunately which is why players get confused as to whether it's lag or a hack.  So we play with some trade-offs with this design.  If only Anet were better about handling "botting" reports.

But really, we're all hacking! /sarcasm

The opportune moments that players will see these effects without it being hacking are:
1) When the game server is overwhelmed
2) Client->Server network hiccups
3) Server->Client network hiccups

On 10/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, WizardBro.4510 said:

and you cant use skills at all.

Apparently turning off auto-cast may help some.  LOL.  I forgot about this one.  I wonder if they ever changed it.

"As far as skills just not executing (noticed some people claiming utilities are more susceptible to this), its mostly just a race-condition as far as processing on the server. You’ll notice that your auto-attack skill seems to process more reliably than other skills. This is mostly due to the fact that we process things like auto-attack timers before player input. Obviously that sounds like a bug (and honestly now that I think about it, I want to look into doing something about it), but the reality is that under normal circumstances, the player input would process before the auto-attack timer triggers. Something you can try to verify this is disabling your auto-attack and see if your other skills become more responsive."

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Official-state-of-skill-lag-and-server-optimizations/page/2#post3141560

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Here's a small clip from back in July of the entire squad micro-teleporting to help illustrate.  Everyone in the squad saw the same micro-teleporting on their screens.  This was caused by the game server choking on the infamous "blob guild activates rise reaper" lag switch that two blobs near the tower were using.  The server struggled to keep up with sending other player location data to my client even though my network connection was steady.  When my client did finally receive data from the server, it corrected my client's understanding of everyone's location from what the client-side physics simulation code was predicting and rendering.  This looks like other players rubber-banding.

What you also may notice is that my own character does not rubber-band during this situation like in some other games.  My character certainly rubber-banded on the screens of my squadmates.  The server trusts the client on it's own position reporting in most situations - an example of when it doesn't is when you try to run through a keep portal and it sometimes takes a few seconds to render or the infamous server-side glider deployment that caused so many headaches for players with network latency (is that still a thing?).  The reason for this design is it's one way a game handles network latency issues for players on slower network connections.  The alternative is you always rubber-band, like in Diablo 4 (iirc New World does it too), and that can get extremely frustrating fast.

Third-party teleport hacks only work because they take advantage of this trust unfortunately which is why players get confused as to whether it's lag or a hack.  So we play with some trade-offs with this design.  If only Anet were better about handling "botting" reports.

But really, we're all hacking! /sarcasm

The opportune moments that players will see these effects without it being hacking are:
1) When the game server is overwhelmed
2) Client->Server network hiccups
3) Server->Client network hiccups

🙂 Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is not server lag, its more I will counter the the concept that it is always server lag. Playing on such a terribad connection I had for some many years, its not.

1 minute ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

🙂 Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is not server lag, its more I will counter the the concept that it is always server lag. Playing on such a terribad connection I had for some many years, its not.

I got you.  It can be an individual's slow connection.  My point is that the effect on how the client renders other players on your screen is the same whether it is you with the slow connection, another player with the slow connection, or the server being overwhelmed.

I recall at some point a time dilation effect was added or toyed with compared to how it was at launch.  The player-side experience of this is when it looks like everything speeds up really fast to "catch up".  The game used to not speed up rendering like that.  You were just suddenly dead.  Do you remember?

14 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I got you.  It can be an individual's slow connection.  My point is that the effect on how the client renders other players on your screen is the same whether it is you with the slow connection, another player with the slow connection, or the server being overwhelmed.

I recall at some point a time dilation effect was added or toyed with compared to how it was at launch.  The player-side experience of this is when it looks like everything speeds up really fast to "catch up".  The game used to not speed up rendering like that.  You were just suddenly dead.  Do you remember?

🙂 Seen both with a slower connection, and have seen where others with faster connections would lag in the same fight and didn't see the same thing while all of us were in voice. Hence the reason I raise comments. After recently being able to have access to a faster connection after so long saw a lot of games improve vastly, but GW2 didn't really change which to me, was impressive and a reason I comment.