What changes to fishing you would like to see in future?

I love fishing it's so relaxing. Also such a good way to relax and enjoy the gw2 view . But like all gw content not all content is for everyone and if you like other stuff I recommend doing that instead.  GW2 has so much varied content that I think it's very rare you're meant to like EVERYTHING  in the game. (I think fishing is similar to jumping puzzles in that sense.). 

I love the fishing minigame. It's soothing and relaxing.  I vote it stays. I will be really upset if they remove it. It's the perfect thing to relax to.  It's just the right amount of solo-plus, if I feel like going solo I can, if I want my friends to join I can, if I want to hang out with friends I can.  🙂 Fishing is like now my main game mode.

I think it's unreasonable of people to criticize it. But do I talk about banning hardcore metas or pvp or fractals or raids just because I don't personally like it? Hmph! Ridiculous. 

I don't think fishing is too closed. Feels just right to me. It just sounds like people are complaining that there is game content they don't like (par for the course with gw), or that they want the price of ambergris to lower or something .____.   there is ton of game content people except those who enjoy it don't touch but those who love it really love it.  I personally like the variety and recognize there's stuff I won't be into,  just not if we're forced to play content that's unenjoyable.  Like. I can make the same complaint about how raids and strike missions are closed and they should go because I don't play them and it's a hard barrier.  But I won't because I can recognize that that content is just not for me, and other people love it, without having to advocate its removal and how everybody who loves it should be miserable because *I* don't like it. 

Things I would change

- I'm with OP on that we seriously need a fishing bag or container or some nice storage (ideally a one item slot that has all the stuff) to hold the catches and lures. It's way too spammy and it's not sensible that we have organized bags for literally EVERY OTHER THING IN THE GAME BESIDES FISHING, which gives so much inventory spam.  I tried posting in QoL suggestions about it but I wasn't very clear and got no traction, let's post there about it people!  (I mean like this isn't the first complaint about the lack of fishing bag or storage, but to anet probably it's just me and someone who doesn't like it)

- The fishing party stacks should be retained across map changes. It feels like such a fomo losing stacks of fishing party because you need to change maps, do a meta, etc. AND you get kicked by force if youre fishing a while so its straight up unfair.  This is a stress pain point to an otherwise relaxing activity. 

- I second the 'not constantly having to fight mobs poking the boat ' while fishing. Another minus on the relaxing. I honestly thought depth charges would remove that annoyance and while depth charges is great, being able to relax more thoroughly would be lovely. (I'm a strong believer in that if an activity is fun because of X reason, that reason should be enhanced instead of trying to remove X reason and I think fishing appeal is relaxing instead of hardcore everything argh). I wouldn't mind working up another mastery or something .

- it's hard to say about the dusk dawn night requirements. Like, it does add flavor but it's probably super punishing to people who only have time to play gw at a specific hour. I think they ought to make some kind of work around for players like that?

- I love fishing but because fishing is like jumping puzzles maybe there could be a way that players who hate fishing can go around it for fulfilling achievements? Like how Mesmer and thieves help port people who hate jumping puzzles, for those achievement hunters who need fishing maybe.  Like you can maybe sell some fish to others for the achievement but they can't trade bought fish or filet for ambergris, only caught fish.  We do have crab meat for the turtles for people who hate fishing.  I like fishing so I'm not sure what isn't possible if you refuse to do it but if there's a way anet could make it so people can get around doing it if they dislike it in a way that is good for those who like it or makes it so those who like it can help or sell to those who don't.  I'm thinking the only thing that makes you fish is the achievements, so maybe making some fish tradeable but no one can trade them for fish filet or ambergris would work. 

Ambergris is tradable and that's the main pull of fishing for those of us who like fishing (I don't think it's fair to punish us who enjoy fishing) so the rarity of ambergris shouldn't be changed.  (Crashing in price anyway tho lol)

well, this is a good topic; I hope people write more thoughts on fishing (beyond "I personally dislike this type of game content so it should be removed, kitten everyone who likes it")

Edited by cloudsareyum.8120

On 10/13/2023 at 10:30 PM, Alsandar.7420 said:

Just make it WoW for less rewards. Keep it hard and complicated for people who want more fish

This is also a nice option.

We can make 3lvl customaization , where :

1st lvl , is the wow version

2nd lvl , is the current version

3rd lvl , is creating a hook-mini submarine like,  where you guide it throught an imaginary sunked ship (as you look the normal landscape of the sea , a Silent Hill Ui/hud minimap , with locked door  and empty rooms will come up and you as red dot in the center) , where you need gadgets or items to aquire from other rooms to open the next doors and find the treasure , or a rare npc that will spawn on land with your name next to World bosses

Spoiler

A shark is always coming to eat your minisub , but you have the options of :

a) take the fishes that you touched , while doing the puzzles and bail out before it eat you

b) the 2nd lvl fishing  can guide a hook throught the rooms and try to snatch the shark (he cannot see you , because i dont knowif is feasable to share this minigames data) , thus helping you

c) Pause the game to chat

d) Spawn the 1st guy rod or find it randomly  ,  to quick change to a random room , evading the shark (as long as you have caught a fish) .Hopefully the 1st rod guy  can see your Hud in a scaled down form and take the fish that burdens you from the extra weight , evading more easily the shark  

e) Play with othe 3rd rod users , and you have shared inventory/items that need to be found

Edit: Or create a card game , like we see on steam (Darkest Dungeon) , where are essentially is card=various actions  that you get each turn . The 2nd rod guy can snatch a card from the bosses backpocket that is moving , without being noticed and replace it on your own , if you agree . The 1st rod guy snatch from the boss a random one and the system  ask you to change it (those item can be a crusial to progress to the next room , rather than wasting time to find it , or can be items that might not effect the boss (bleed vs undead) , or he can create mini events like dropping the caddle on the room , littng up the boss and his adds.

This minigame is vieable like a bluescreen to whomever is sitting on the boat (blank background viewing  , with rooms , and siluates that moves) so all can see it , but the 3rd guy can move it )

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 1

On the dusk/dawn thing, they really just need to reverse how it works. Instead of if being a time window where all fish can be caught, make it a window where only the dawn/dusk fish can be caught. Bam, fixed. The short window still retains some of the difficulty, but at least the dawn/dusk fish won't be competing with the entire loot table.