"Best" (subjective) Power Dps with strong burst. pve...

Joxer.6024

Ok, so kinda over the condi stuffs, even though I do mostly OW stuffs and Cele is stronger for condi, just looking to switch things up with something power but not squish.

Now, i have seen all the tier lists and what have you but those change like the weather so kinda a waste of time. 

Also have Reaper but again, looking to for change of pace. So hit me what works for you!

Cheers!  😉

15 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Berserker, Vindicator and Deadeye are advertised as the top "power dps" by snowcrow right now.

Most DPS builds are not updated after the last patch, so they are excluded from that arbitrary ranking. The OP is asking for a strong burst, and neither Berserker nor Deadeye have any kind of burst whatsoever, their DPS curve is very stable and that's because both builds pretty much spam 1-2 skills. Only vindicator of those 3 has a decent burst. Moreover, that ranking is made for instanced combat, not OW with celestial gear 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rotten.9753 said:

Most DPS builds are not updated after the last patch, so they are excluded from that arbitrary ranking.

Granted that they reseted their whole benchmark when the patch landed, that's simply not true.

7 minutes ago, rotten.9753 said:

The OP is asking for a strong burst, and neither Berserker nor Deadeye have any kind of burst whatsoever, their DPS curve is very stable and that's because both builds pretty much spam 1-2 skills. Only vindicator of those 3 has a decent burst.

I believe that when you quoted me, you removed a bit of text that suggest revenant out of the 3.

10 minutes ago, rotten.9753 said:

Moreover, that ranking is made for instanced combat, not OW with celestial gear 🙂

I don't think they specially said they wanted to play celestial stats. They said that celestial stats were "stronger for condi".

I'm pretty sure Joxer have been around for very long, far before cele stats ever became popular. So either they already have a set of "power" gear stached somewhere or they already have a full set of legendary armor. Even if they don't, it's not like it's a difficult thing to craft.

I personally recommend the marauder statset, this is the "power set" with the best balance of survivability and damage output.

• Like 1

If you're asking for power stuff that lets you solo stuff in OW....I think at one point Firebrand could do that. I think Bladesworn can play power without dying too fast as well. Scrapper is ok with power as long as you can hit multiple opponent but its survivability unironically drops hard the moment you start doing 1 v 1 against tough opponent.

But outside of these 3 (I am excluding Reaper since that's what you used to play) I dont think there's many spec that can run power and still be able to solo things. 

But if you're playing with a friend/group then you have much more option. I could recommend you PBM Holosmith, it's honestly pretty fun

3 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Granted that they reseted their whole benchmark when the patch landed, that's simply not true.

They updated 12 builds just after I wrote it, Catalyst is now at top. Anyway, I wouldn't use benchmarks which are isolated, made against an arbitrary target of 4m hp (and often shows incorrect DPS due to how different builds finish the golem) as a guide for OW builds. Berserker is unplayable with its benchmark build as an OW build, it really needs alacrity unless we discard all longer fights. On the other hand, Scourge is at the very bottom, yet you can get a lot of performance out of this build in real scenarios.

tl;dr DPS ranking at snowcrows site should be treated as trivia, the differences between the top and the bottom for the average and even decent player are minimal.

21 minutes ago, rotten.9753 said:

tl;dr DPS ranking at snowcrows site should be treated as trivia, the differences between the top and the bottom for the average and even decent player are minimal.

Sure, then what should be the reference then?

Benchmark on snowcrow is as good as it goes, if you're smart, you take it as the potential output and work around it. If despite this you want to say that warrior is bad and scourge is OP that's your out of topic opinion as scourge is automatically ruled out since it's a condi spec and the OP seem to be sick of playing both necromancer and condition damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, overgun.5726 said:

What does "change of pace" mean?

Both power soulbeast and power untamed are in a pretty good spot. They both have the same damage potential as Reaper and they are very nice for OW in my experience, having a pet around makes things like bounties very easy to solo

yea thinking of maybe looking at SB again, since it also very strong in instanced if I decide to head back into raids.  😉

1 minute ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Sure, then what should be the reference then?

Benchmark on snowcrow is as good as it goes, if you're smart, you take it as the potential output and work around it. If despite this you want to say that warrior is bad and scourge is OP that's your out of topic opinion as scourge is automatically ruled out since it's a condi spec and the OP seem to be sick of playing both necromancer and condition damage.

you are correct!

If you are looking for OW high dps/burst builds, dont look at dps builds, look at quickness boon supports that can reliably stack might and get fury or at least builds that have on demand boons even if lower uptime.

Unless youre running jade protocols all the time.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 12:16 AM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I find Power Chronomancer is highly underrated.  I'm still running a sword/sword + greatsword version, but that continuum split burst is really good at tearing things up.  The self-sustain can be a bit low at time, though, so be sure to use your blocks and evades at the right time.  

Possibly, but in addition to the sustain issues Mesmer in general is just a squishy class and OP wanted to avoid that.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Possibly, but in addition to the sustain issues Mesmer in general is just a squishy class and OP wanted to avoid that.

Not particularly.  It is in the middle HP tier, and the armor tiers don't matter that much.  Mesmer has a lot of innate active defenses, good CC, and it also it tends to inflict slow.  I've used full DPS Axe Mirage and Virtuoso to solo many champions.  To be a bit more specific, the issue that Chronomancer has is that it uses its heal skill as part of it's DPS rotation.  This can leave you in situations where the self-sustain is lacking.  This, however, comes with the tradeoff of an immense burst of damage at the start of the fight.  

If you're looking for a power build that works well with celestial gear on OW, I think Vindicator would be a good pick. I'm playing through the parts of the story that I had skipped on my rev myself before I got this nice build, and it's definitely tanky and still has decent burst and sustained DPS. Even if built mostly for sustain with Battle Scars. Combine it with the sigil of energy, which by the nature of the Vindicator also boosts your DPS (in my testing even more than the sigil of air that is recommended on snowcrows) while almost doubling your evade frames, contributing to the tankiness. You can get 100% fury uptime (especially if you go with 2 swords), which combined with the infiltrator runes you get to almost 100% crit chance (99.09% to be specific). 

I haven't tried it with marauder gear, but celestial contributes much more than just survivability for Vindicator. With the extra concentration you have an easier time keeping fury up (which is very important for your DPS), and you can also get 100% vigor uptime, which again boosts both your DPS and survivability. And if you take shortbow as a backup weapon for when you have to go ranged, even the condi stats won't be entirely wasted.

Also with power Vindicator you get on demand stability, stun breaks and on demand 50% movement speed increase with Impossible Odds, as well as decent CC. It's a very well rounded kit for solo play.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

If you're looking for a power build that works well with celestial gear on OW, I think Vindicator would be a good pick. I'm playing through the parts of the story that I had skipped on my rev myself before I got this nice build, and it's definitely tanky and still has decent burst and sustained DPS. Even if built mostly for sustain with Battle Scars. Combine it with the sigil of energy, which by the nature of the Vindicator also boosts your DPS (in my testing even more than the sigil of air that is recommended on snowcrows) while almost doubling your evade frames, contributing to the tankiness. You can get 100% fury uptime (especially if you go with 2 swords), which combined with the infiltrator runes you get to almost 100% crit chance (99.09% to be specific). 

I haven't tried it with marauder gear, but celestial contributes much more than just survivability for Vindicator. With the extra concentration you have an easier time keeping fury up (which is very important for your DPS), and you can also get 100% vigor uptime, which again boosts both your DPS and survivability. And if you take shortbow as a backup weapon for when you have to go ranged, even the condi stats won't be entirely wasted.

Also with power Vindicator you get on demand stability, stun breaks and on demand 50% movement speed increase with Impossible Odds, as well as decent CC. It's a very well rounded kit for solo play.

have a build you can share? Sounds like this just may be the ticket! 

Cheers!  😉