The new Cosmic Observatory CM is underwhelming

Snow.4017

Just finished it on the first attempt, very disappointed. The only new thing was a copy-pasted Minister Li numbers mechanic, it's not even challenging.

I suppose a more fitting title is "under par".

Edited by Snow.4017
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

It is the easiest piece of endgame content i did in years. Even ff14 story bosses are harder and can sometimes wipe you. Greens seem to be bugged but its just way too easy in general. There is no threatening mechanic that requires coordination.

This feels like the normal mode. Where is the cm? Also killed it first try going in semi blind. No rez scourge or wheelchair. Normal comp.

Edited by Nephalem.8921

18 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

This feels like the normal mode.

This.

18 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Greens seem to be bugged

No, they are not. The two greens must separate a bit from each other and three people are required in each of them. We wiped once because one player thought it was a good idea to run to the edge of the platform with green. 😄

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, they are not. The two greens must separate a bit from each other and three people are required in each of them. We wiped once because one player thought it was a good idea to run to the edge of the platform with green. 😄

We stacked them and nothing happened.

• Thanks 1

I think it suffers from us having had the Normal Mode for so long already and it mostly reusing mechanics the community is already familiar with. It definitely is punishing if you fail the mechanics, but the mechanics themselves aren't new, so there wasn't much to learn.

And yeah, greens have to be bugged, because it felt pretty lackluster that we can just stack them both together with no consequences.

I did it with a pick up group, so hard to say if the dps check was tight enough or not. It felt like my group had to work for it a little bit, but maybe everyone on my team was doing meh dmg. Idk.

But again, it mostly suffers from the lack of unique mechanics, so anyone who's been playing GW2 endgame content wasn't surprised by anything going on in that fight.

I could see it being really hard for new players though, so it's not as free as some of y'all are saying, but I agree that it didn't seem that difficult relative to the EoD CMs.

This is definitely closer to the range of difficulty I consider marketable, though. This is content I would recommend players beyond just hardcore raiders to tackle.

The fun of the mechanics wasn't quite there, sadly. Felt like technical busy work mostly, so that is the biggest concern for me. It could have been more fun, and being more fun would go hand-in-hand with making it less generic and a harder progression.

39 minutes ago, mandala.8507 said:

I think it suffers from us having had the Normal Mode for so long already and it mostly reusing mechanics the community is already familiar with. It definitely is punishing if you fail the mechanics, but the mechanics themselves aren't new, so there wasn't much to learn.

And yeah, greens have to be bugged, because it felt pretty lackluster that we can just stack them both together with no consequences.

I did it with a pick up group, so hard to say if the dps check was tight enough or not. It felt like my group had to work for it a little bit, but maybe everyone on my team was doing meh dmg. Idk.

But again, it mostly suffers from the lack of unique mechanics, so anyone who's been playing GW2 endgame content wasn't surprised by anything going on in that fight.

I could see it being really hard for new players though, so it's not as free as some of y'all are saying, but I agree that it didn't seem that difficult relative to the EoD CMs.

This is definitely closer to the range of difficulty I consider marketable, though. This is content I would recommend players beyond just hardcore raiders to tackle.

The fun of the mechanics wasn't quite there, sadly. Felt like technical busy work mostly, so that is the biggest concern for me. It could have been more fun, and being more fun would go hand-in-hand with making it less generic and a harder progression.

What is normal mode for then? Toddlers?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

What is normal mode for then? Toddlers?

I mean, I wouldn't phrase it like that. I think the goal is for the normal mode to be manageable content for every player, regardless of skill or investment into the game.

Which means the CM content can't be bonkers difficult because they want more than a couple hundred players to attempt it.

They told us strikes are meant to replace raids and we're only getting 2 strikes a year now. It really isn't ok that they're delivering strike CMs that can be one shot on pug groups on day 1 and that are full of bugs.

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

I mean, I wouldn't phrase it like that. I think the goal is for the normal mode to be manageable content for every player, regardless of skill or investment into the game.

Which means the CM content can't be bonkers difficult because they want more than a couple hundred players to attempt it.

So normal mode for toddlers and cm is pretty much the normal mode then? Souls games are marketable too. Monster hunter is fairly popular and hard aswell. This cm is easier than ff14 normal raids. those are casual raids for everyone.

This strike has now 2 modes. dps golem and normal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I have enjoyed it. In terms of difficulty some of the raid bosses are easier than this imo. And it's not like every single cm have to be HT like. I would call it the same level of difficulty as KC cm.

The only thing that I do not like about this strike, and strikes in general is lack of something original. Like jumping throu Sabir's platform higher and higher, or navigating Qadim's puzzle platform, or getting hanged high in the air on Qadim 2 cm fight. This fights always had something amazing to them. Strike bosses are just like, big boring arena (usually part of the world map), with sponge at the center. It was no less boring nor more exciting than other strike bosses, so I don't really know what are most ppls so disappointed about, but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 11:57 PM, Cynder.2509 said:

what did you expect? Strikes and raids are kitten easy in this game. 
There will never be actual challenging content 

Than maybe consider finally changing the game instead of always bragging how cool you are and complaining how easy game centered for casual players is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

The best part is that he has done no Strike CMs, no Raid CMs beyond Desmina CM and also has missing Fractal CMs.

Oh You do not have to tell me that. I know very well who this guy is. I am allergic to Him to say the least, after He killed my friend in WvW and started to whisper to Him, insulting Him, telling that he is worthless ,that he do not deserve His raid legendary armor, (yeah, I dare You to find logic in that xd) and he added many other slurs that I wouldn't dare to include here.

When he faced consequences (read: me), becouse as a true man of honor does, he blocked my friend immidietly after lashing at Him. He started to cover behind His thousands of mental issues, like it supposed to justify treating peoples like trash. I told Him my part, reported and moved on. Just look at the tumblr link he have on his quote. This is honestly a person that needs a doctor, and somehow He is still here, babbling nonsense and lying to himself that he is better than anyone else becouse in other games He wouldn't be able to even enter a high end content. GW2 is like His drug I think, he despise it but it's the only thing that let Him feel better. And I am not saying it out of spite. I really wish He could find professional help, but online gaming is certainly not a way to find it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

agree the strike is underwhelming. my group + 3 pugs cleared it on our first pull, with only 1 spot where we looked like we might fail but managed to recover. this was after the patch that "increased damage pressure" as well. I can only hope that the idea behind this first new CM was to try and bring newer players into "harder" content, and that future CMs will actually provide some challenge

16 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Why does a game made for casuals have action combat and a completely open build system?

And how does this two things exclude this game from being for casuals. Pretty sure that tryhards are not the only ones that like this kind of combat and tinkering with the builds. Plus I said it's centered around casuals. There is pretty much stuff that tryhard can enjoy as well, but we were never the main audience of this game. And it's pretty ovbious that it's not good enough for the guy I quoted, thus advice to change the game.

• Like 2

i think its suffering a bit of identity crisis and ends up mostly just being a blind dps check (with a few exceptions). i don't think this is a good combination, and if you look at most of other challenge modes they focus on the mechanics instead of the health, in fact the older bosses are quite weak compared to modern standards (like those set by the silent surf fractal, and pre-nerf dagda in normal mode), but are actually more difficult because they have real mechanics that are punishing and have alot of ways to reduce your damage so you aren't just wailing on them all the time.

unfortunately ever since end of dragons we've been getting closer and closer to super exciting sponge-cake rotation-based gameplay. the developers just can't seem to understand this isn't how you counter powercreep and will actually worsen it in the long-term.

(yes, i'm against this kind of gameplay as it favors the classes with the cheapest builds and easiest rotations, and always will).

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

On 11/7/2023 at 11:57 PM, Cynder.2509 said:

what did you expect? Strikes and raids are kitten easy in this game. 
There will never be actual challenging content 

Are we talking about the same game? :classic_huh: Some Strikes (and especially their achievements) are indeed challenging content, and so are Raids (especially in CM).

On 11/12/2023 at 1:50 PM, Incurve Giidis.7829 said:

worst part of the fight is overlapping split/stack/rando aoe spam mechanics during splitphase transition its terrible design

Agreed. Apart from being way to easy, CO CM is also quite a mess of -- seemingly randomly designed -- mechanics overlapping. 😄

• Confused 2