New proffesions ???

Ivar.4175

If you want a pop fiction Samurai with their unsheathe super technique trope (which is what most people these days think of, when they think of the term Samurai), there's already Warrior's Junksworn elite specialization for that.

As for Ninja, you can pretty much build a Thief or Daredevil around that theme.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

At least no Samurais or Ninja's. 
Those are extremely overdone cliché and their fantasy is largely covered by existing classes or elite specs.

I am not against new classes but I'd rather see them bring back more unique GW classes from the first game or ones that were teased but never got past concept phase.

Heavy Armor: Paragon. I know that both Spellbreaker and Guardian have evolved from Paragons, but since there are still actual Paragons in Elona I see no reason why they could not be added as a class of their own. And we don't really have a mid-range heavy armor class fantasy yet (which is why you regularly see people ask for Anet to bring ranged land-spears as a new weapon into the game). An updated for GW2 Shout/Chant system would be an interesting take on support for itself and/or allies as well that we don't have yet.

Medium Armor: Dervish. I wonder if you could create a unique gameplay aspect of a class that builds up boons and then spends them on various effects (with some traits that allows spent boons linger for a bit effectwise, so a Dervish stripping its 25 might is not suddenly without that bonus). Avatars would probably need to be reworked since other races don't have much to do with the human Gods.

Light Armor: I would either bring Ritualist back or see how much can be done with the Summoner concept they originally had for Guild Wars Utopia. I mean they used another Utopia concept for Mesmer's Chronomancer, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Both could fill the fantasy of summoning armies and then combining them into larger beings or quickly cycle through them for additional benefits. In this way you could create a niché that both Necro and Mesmer currently don't fill.

• Like 2

The thing is that base classes and elite specs already cover a ton of "traditional" classes you may see in other mmos.
Like, how should a dedicated samurai class look in the context of gw2 apart from what we've already got with Bladesworn for example?
Or ninja/assassin is supposed to be available in the form of thief (especially with the Daredevil e-spec), so what would a dedicated ninja bring to the table? Especially with all the different weapons like how would it be different from Daredevil's staff for example or what additional stuff should it have?

Other classes from GW1 are also already kind of integrated. Iirc then Rev (Renegade in particular) is supposed to be GW2's version of a ritualist with the legend swapping and renegade's summoning utils. If you want stationary ghosts I'd guess the playstyle would be too similar to the engineer's turrets, making them less unique.

I don't think GW2 needs more classes as we have already got that system with specializations - kind of.
I'd love to get a dual-class system tho, where you could use maybe utility skills (without elites) and maybe even weapon skills (if your base class can also use the weapon you could choose the skill set) from another class, similar to GW1.
This would obviously be an absolute nightmare for balancing but GW1 was also "kinda" balanced for the content so idk. What really broke GW1's balance was team builds with NPC heroes but GW2 doesn't have that so I guess that's a non-issue.

• Confused 1

Samurai is Bladesworn. Their entire Flow mechanic is all about focusing for a huge Iaido slash. Really Samurai-like. 

Thief has been pretty ninja-esque for the majority of their playstyle. Idk why we need something just called Ninja when it'll just be Thief again or demanding mechanics from Thief while using the same weapons and same playstyle. 

35 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Thief has been pretty ninja-esque for the majority of their playstyle. Idk why we need something just called Ninja when it'll just be Thief again or demanding mechanics from Thief while using the same weapons and same playstyle. 

Which Thief is just GW1's Assassin, but renamed and given a "steal" mechanic, so now we'd have another layer of nuance to separate them from each other.

Edited by XSevSpreeX.2143
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

Which Thief is just GW1's Assassin, but renamed and given a "steal" mechanic, so now we'd have another layer of nuance to separate them from each other.

Don't forget the many layers of Stealth that also separate GW1's Assassin and GW2's Thief.

And these aren't nuanced layers.

Edited by Fueki.4753

If we ever get new porfessions they will undoubtedly be based on the Paragon, Dervish, & Ritualist from GW1. Its also possible that the GW1 Assassin could be brought back into GW2, but it would most likely just be through an elite spec (which we sort of already got with Willbender, Daredevil, Specter, & Vindicator)

29 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

Its also possible that the GW1 Assassin could be brought back into GW2, but it would most likely just be through an elite spec (which we sort of already got with Willbender, Daredevil, Specter, & Vindicator)

It's not too hard to imagine how Assassin could be made into an elite specialization for Thief. A lot of the kit is already there.

The biggest change that'd need to happen is to give Assassin a passive effect that replaces Stealth with some kind of unique defensive mechanic, so that its chances for staying in a fight increase and it doesn't have to constantly run away (like many Thieves love to do).

Offhand sword would be the ideal weapon choice to add with an Assassin specialization.

Edited by Fueki.4753

12 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Don't forget the many layers of Stealth that also separate GW1's Assassin and GW2's Thief.

And these aren't nuanced layers.

That's true, I forgot about the lack of stealth in GW1. Also preparations worked differently in GW1 and were a Ranger skill type. Basically, I think the only thing Assassins had that Thieves don't is attack chaining, which could be an avenue for a new elite spec mechanic (unless there's something else in Thief's kit that I'm forgetting).

Edited by XSevSpreeX.2143

1 hour ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

That's true, I forgot about the lack of stealth in GW1. Also preparations worked differently in GW1 and were a Ranger skill type. Basically, I think the only thing Assassins had that Thieves don't is attack chaining, which could be an avenue for a new elite spec mechanic (unless there's something else in Thief's kit that I'm forgetting).

I think that the chain attack abilities have, at least mechanically, been translated into the melee auto attack chains and flip over abilities.

I doubt that GW1's iteration would work well with GW2's weapon system.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I think that the chain attack abilities have, at least mechanically, been translated into the melee auto attack chains and flip over abilities.

I doubt that GW1's iteration would work well with GW2's weapon system.

True, but with the chain attacks you had some control over which skills you used. It probably wouldn't translate well into GW2 since chain attacks were basically preset rotations. It may work as a mechanic for a specific weapon, but that's it.