Any plans for vanilla servers?

9 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Who would trust their account/items to some unknown person(s) hosting a reverse engineered server?  What's to keep someone from just taking your stuff?

From past experience with various types of fan-run databases that's certainly a risk but the more likely outcome is the 1 person who was doing most of the work to run the servers, including paying for them, has to stop for one reason or another and in the best case scenario there's a scramble to find someone to take over but it never works out or ends up in a power-struggle between a few people and the whole project collapses. Worst case scenario no one who knows them in real life thinks to tell their weird internet friends what's happened and no one online knows anything has changed until the payments expire and the servers go offline and then they have no way to get in touch with anyone who could transfer ownership.

I don't like to think how many online resources and even communities have been lost because of things like that. It's why I encourage any guild I'm in to make sure at least 1 other person has full leadership permissions (including admin access to the Discord server, website or whatever other external resources the guild uses), even if they never use them.

(I also encourage people to talk to their family and close friends about their online communities, partially so if something happens someone knows there's a whole load of people on the internet who need to be notified and partially because of stories like this where a couple didn't know about a huge part of their son's life until he died. And on a lighter note because when people ask me what I did at the weekend "I helped lead a group of 50 people to kill a dragon about the size of this building" is a much better answer than "not much, just stayed home".)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

It wouldn't be your ArenaNet account because they wouldn't have access to ArenaNets servers, it'd be a new, completely separate account, the same as with private emulated servers in WoW.

Ultimately though, this theoretical third party server only exists because ArenaNet is shutting down the game at some point in the future. My account will have very little value to me in that case, assuming I'm even alive then. 🙂

No, I get it that it would be a completely different account.  Still, would anyone really trust an unknown 3rd party with that account?  What about any personal information that might be attached to it?  At least with Anet, if there is a breach there would be some legal accountability.  With a 3rd party?  Probably not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, I get it that it would be a completely different account.  Still, would anyone really trust an unknown 3rd party with that account?  What about any personal information that might be attached to it?  At least with Anet, if there is a breach there would be some legal accountability.  With a 3rd party?  Probably not so much.

Well isn't that the case with every account you make with any web site anywhere? 

In my experience all most non billed online game accounts all for is an email address, username and password. They don't need any more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Well isn't that the case with every account you make with any web site anywhere? 

In my experience all most non billed online game accounts all for is an email address, username and password. They don't need any more.

There are laws in place to help protect consumers when engaging with a company online.  A third-party MMO server setup run by some anonymous persons wouldn't provide any legal protection.  That's my point.

If an online game company has a security breach, there are legal repercussions so (I'd imagine) most online game companies would be well incentivized to keep account information protected.  A no-name third party would have no such incentive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There are laws in place to help protect consumers when engaging with a company online.  A third-party MMO server setup run by some anonymous persons wouldn't provide any legal protection.  That's my point.

No I get it, it's a very good point, the server operators are unlikely to have the expertise, resources or even the interest in safeguarding your data and if anything goes wrong then they're gone.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 11:09 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

In that case I really don't understand why you'd ask for a duplicate version of the game instead of asking Anet to fix the one that already exists. They may not do it exactly the way you're imagining - for example they might expand the use of no-mount no-gliding zones in the core maps instead of disabling them entirely - but the end result is far more likely to be both a version of the game you'd want to play and one populated with other people than asking for a Vanilla version which, as this thread illustrates, means something very different to most people.

The problem is that it's impossible to balance again the game by now, ArenaNet already passed that threshold. You see, with HoT and PoF they just added gliders and mounts, but kept the skills quite balanced (aka nerfed). When HoT was considered too difficult, they nerfed a bit those maps. But with EoD they started to add buffs here and there, anvils, offensive and defensive charges, jade bots (they don't give you much power true, but it means that with 2k additional HP you can go full berserker instead of marauder, which is in the end more dps. And to the people that keep saying that GW2 still has horizontal progression, you don't have these buffs if you don't buy the expac).

Try to kill the shatterer nowadays, or do the chak gerent: they die in 2 minutes. You can kill the claw of jormag completely ignoring the mechanics, both the icy spikes and the wall, using mounts. There's no way now for ArenaNet to balance these old contents, they cannot make a new Shaman chief version for every boss of the first 2 expansions. And if they nerf us, we wouldn't be able to play the recent contents, because they have been made for the current power creep in mind. Also, if you buff too much the content in the core+first 2 expansions, people that didn't buy EoD will be at disadvantage.

The balance in this game is beyond repair. One thing is to feel your character powerful, another thing is to completely make the fight irrelevant: it's simply not fun. When things slip out of hands like this, it's time to consider a vanilla server, because they cannot balance the game anymore. Maybe not now, but give them 2 more expansions like this, and more people will ask for a classic server. Not because they are hardcore or enjoy hard content, but because it's not fun to cheese every mechanic. I'm actually surprised GW2 lasted for 8-9 years without major power creep.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

no.

Although I agree with the visual clutter thing.

I would like to be able to turn down other people's stupidly shiny skins and effects (and really annoying bow needs to die), if you got the items great, you enjoy them. I woudl like not to have to wear sunglasses to play this game....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Cameirus.8407 said:

no.

Although I agree with the visual clutter thing.

I would like to be able to turn down other people's stupidly shiny skins and effects (and really annoying bow needs to die), if you got the items great, you enjoy them. I woudl like not to have to wear sunglasses to play this game....

Character Quality Limit -> set this to lowest. This will replace all player character models, other than your own, with the generic "shadow men." It doesn't do anything for weapons, back pieces, gliders, spell effects, or floaty globs, but it at least calms down character armour.

It's the best we have, and I agree we need more, but at least we have this much.

Edit: Forgot to mention it also replaces their mounts with generic mounts. No more Skyscale brighter than the sun!

Edited by Kiki.9450