Client bug

Guys, are you using arcdps?

I just tested this:

"I removed arcdps, started the launcher, closed the launcher, process disappears from task manager.
I reinstalled arcdps, started the launcher, closed the launcher, process stays in task manager."

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Adenin.5973 said:

Seems to me that the Desktop shortcut somehow is broken. 

Running the GW2-64.exe in my game folder directly is properly launching the client.

I've had the problem using both.

3 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I just tested this:

"I removed arcdps, started the launcher, closed the launcher, process disappears from task manager.
I reinstalled arcdps, started the launcher, closed the launcher, process stays in task manager."

Having ARCdps installed or not didn't seem to make any difference for me.  Multiple incidences are still randomly generated.

5 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I just tested this:

Ye, can confirm this.

Deleting the arc dps d3d11.dll is resolving this issue.

6 minutes ago, Lupini.6938 said:

Having ARCdps installed or not didn't seem to make any difference for me.  Multiple incidences are still randomly generated.

Do you use any other third-party add-on that inserts itself using a dll?  Or maybe that gw2 launcher (idk the details of that thing)?

Edited by Chaba.5410

To share some additional perspective, this has been a problem for at least 2 months, maybe 3. Sometimes it's 0% CPU usage and about 1GB of RAM and other times it's 20% CPU and I don't remember the RAM usage there. I just have a habit of checking task manager every time I launch the game. Sometimes it will let you launch the game with a ghost process in the background and I've had 3 or 4 ghosts going simultaneously at one point.

2 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Do you use any other third-party add-on that inserts itself using a dll?  Or maybe that gw2 launcher (idk the details of that thing)?

Nope.  I took the "healing stats" dll out of the folder along with ARC just in case.   I don't use BLISH, or anything else.  

11 minutes ago, Lupini.6938 said:

Nope.  I took the "healing stats" dll out of the folder along with ARC just in case.   I don't use BLISH, or anything else.  

Seems then that it's a more complex issue which I can replicate on my system only by using a third-party add-on.  Maybe it's CEF on your system causing the zombie process where it doesn't do that on my system.  CEF is the only sub-component that comes with GW2.

I'm on Win11 Pro 23H2 and did the latest OS updates which included some security fixes for .NET.

Edited by Chaba.5410

I started having this issue yesterday and am still having it now. I cannot log into the game at all. Once I read this thread, I went and looked and yes, same problem. Multiple ghost copies of the client-server are showing up and at least 2 copies show up anytime I try and log in. 1 copy is at 0.00 processor used, and the second copy shows somewhere around 6.4 or so use. Still unable to log in as of a few minutes ago. 
Update: I got it fixed. I had to go in and remove the multiple clients. Then restart, and I am back up and running. 

Edited by Brangwen Liana.5632
update

• ArenaNet Staff

I have a bit of an update. Our team has been investigating, but need to dig into it a little more specifically. If you are still experiencing this even after removing any third-party programs from the equation, can you please reach out to the Customer Support team

They're expecting your tickets and will likely start with the basic questions and troubleshooting steps to help paint a full picture of the problem. Thank you all for raising the issue and helping us track down what's going on!

In my case, it's due to arcdps. If the dll is still in the game folder, the game doesn't terminate correctly (it needs to re-launch during updates so it's common then). Since I still want to use  arcdps regardless, I'm ending the game from Task Manager>Details (not Processes) whenever the issue arises and reopening it.

• 1 month later...