Guardians are just not fun to play against.

Why does it feel like guardians or so heavily overtuned whenever you play against them. Its like they always have too many tools to deal with any given situation.
Its just not fun to encounter, and if the enemy team has a core guardian and you dont its almost a guarantee that you cant win teamfights. They always just bring so much utility and defenses that its borderline impossible to break through.

The current flavor of the month being Dragonhunter isnt shocking considering all the small buffs and QOL updates that Guardian as a profession gets. But it seems all these small buffs have coalesced into something to difficult to fight against that its downright not fun to fight.

The worst part about it is that I dont see any major corrective changes coming in the future. Grenth knows that if Willbender has been left as it is in WvW then nothing is gonna happen to correct it.
What corrective changes can you make to this profession, where do you even start?

This is all coming from playing against guardians in sPvP for about a year now and its coming to the point where PvP as a mode is getting downright unbearable to play.

Is anyone else feeling this way or am I finally losing it?

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

20 minutes ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Why does it feel like guardians or so heavily overtuned whenever you play against them. Its like they always have too many tools to deal with any given situation.
Its just not fun to encounter, and if the enemy team has a core guardian and you dont its almost a guarantee that you cant win teamfights. They always just bring so much utility and defenses that its borderline impossible to break through.

The current flavor of the month being Dragonhunter isnt shocking considering all the small buffs and QOL updates that Guardian as a profession gets. But it seems all these small buffs have coalesced into something to difficult to fight against that its downright not fun to fight.

The worst part about it is that I dont see any major corrective changes coming in the future. Grenth knows that if Willbender has been left as it is in WvW then nothing is gonna happen to correct it.
What corrective changes can you make to this profession, where do you even start?

This is all coming from playing against guardians in sPvP for about a year now and its coming to the point where PvP as a mode is getting downright unbearable to play.

Is anyone else feeling this way or am I finally losing it?

unblockable + boon rips

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

unblockable + boon rips

But all sources of boon rip got nerfed and im already running full unblockable signets.

Guards generate aegis faster then unblockables can be gained by a factor of 4:1.

Edited by WingSwipe.3084
Correct spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Kuya.6495 said:

What profession, elite, weapons and stats are you using, OP?

Warrior, Spellbreaker and Berserker, GS, Hammer ,Rifle, Dagger, pistol, Axe, Shield. 
Berserker stats, theif relic, aristocrat runes.

Only run power build. Dont like condi build warrior has as it feels terrible to play.

Almost always run might signet as it gives access to unblockable attacks.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Warrior, Spellbreaker and Berserker, GS, Hammer ,Rifle, Dagger, pistol, Axe, Shield. 

Only run power build. Dont like condi build warrior has as it feels terrible to play.

Almost always run might signet as it gives access to unblockable attacks.

You are having problems with guardians using might signet and spellbreaker? Are you using endure pain, defy pain and defiant stance?

Edited by Kuya.6495

8 minutes ago, Kuya.6495 said:

You are having problems with guardians using might signet and spellbreaker? Are you using endure pain, last stand and defiant stance?

If I run Ignore pain or defiant stance then I have to give up condi cleanse, hard engage and stun via bulls charge or the signet. So I usually just dont run Ignore pain.
You can compliment this via running dagger shield. 

Its not just that they are difficult to deal with, its that they empower their team entire while bringing utility and damage. In a 1v1 they are alright to deal with, its just so unbelievably frustrating to go up against unless you have incredible boon rip/boon corrupt.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

If I run Ignore pain or defiant stance then I have to give up condi cleanse, hard engage and stun via bulls charge or the signet. So I usually just dont run Ignore pain.
You can compliment this via running dagger shield. 

Its not just that they are difficult to deal with, its that they empower their team entire while bringing utility and damage. In a 1v1 they are alright to deal with, its just so unbelievably frustrating to go up against unless you have incredible boon rip/boon corrupt.

Oh ok, I thought you meant you couldn't handle them in 1v1s, because from my experience warriors (and eles) are the best at taking down guards by themselves. 

Edit: I usually just let cleansing sigils and cleansing ire take care of my cleansing for me. 

Edited by Kuya.6495

38 minutes ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

But all sources of boon rip got nerfed and im already running full unblockable signets.

Guards generate aegis faster then unblockables can be gained by a factor of 4:1.

9-10 unblockable burst on ranger or Reaper(which can boon rip/corrupt too)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

9-10 unblockable burst on ranger or Reaper(which can boon rip/corrupt too)

Yes, from what ive heard and seen its Rangers and Warriors that can take down Guardians consistently.

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Both guards and war have too many blocks/invulns.  Can supplement that with CC for warrior and traps for guardian to make either one very annoying to play against.  Both also have braindead tether mechanics.  

Warrior need it more due to the fact that they dont have access to a blink, they have to take damage throughout the entire approach. But I agree that its annoying to play against someone who just wont take damage. Its a poorly designed mechanic and should be toned down on all professions.
The tether mechanic isnt fun, but its twice as bad when facing a Guardian that can yank you into a pile of traps if you slightly misplay your usage of stability.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Korendil.5934 said:

Guardian's feel like GW2's Hero Class. It definitely at this point feels a bit bias; it has the devs backing more so than any other class. Even Necro.

Isn't cmc an ele main?

41 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Is any meta class fun to play against?

People used to say Warriors were fun to fight, and then it became meta. I can't think of a time people liked fighting the FotM. 

Ive always enjoyed fighting revenents, hollo, and eles. The only times I didn't like it, is pro hollo/cata.. who are essentially unkillable, you see the limits of spec ceilings then. You don't get that feeling with a pro revenent, its obvious what you did wrong, and that you have a chance if you don't mess up. Oh I forget, there are some funny engi meme builds to fight, but you don't see then much, gadgets etc. I also don't mind so much fighting power necros, but the double life often feels cheap, yet its clear what you can do in range kiting etc.

Other than that, no.. nothing else feels fun to fight. Block/immune spam while still being able to attack, target drop/stealth spam for low risk game play. Multiple specs that have forgiving mechanics that allow way too much face tanking (some by design). Multiple specs applying poison/confusion way to easily for how powerful the debuffs are.

Gaurdian is now the worse of the worse. Front loaded with block spam, and easy power dps mechanics + multiple gap closers.

The W in WB stands for never let go of "W".

The D in DH stands for never press "Dodge". 

Its not a joke, watch the average WB/DH and youll see it, the mechanics of the specs litteraly make that happen. Ive also been fighting some power core gaurds with bow recently, and that also does eye watering damage for how tanky it is. On core ele I would be 11k hp and paper thin for that kind of damage, multiple abilitys in the game could genuinely 1 shot me.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

I've played core Warrior with quite success against DH since this build gets stability each time you use a movement skill or cc a foe, so they can't cc you and you avoid traps just evading or walking out: 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIl7lJwSYKMMGKOSP/LfA-DaIPkMlC9KCCZBY1TAAA

Spellbreaker should be even stronger since has full counter and main  hand dagger (I can use the dagger due weapon mastery but did chose mace just to test how well a vanilla core Warrior could do in current PvP and I think is solid). Do you known how fast a 12k HP stunlocked DH dies? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kuya.6495 said:

Isn't cmc an ele main?

He invented the 5 ele x team MAT meta. I think the loser (2nd) team was only running 3 ele iterations so obviously they lost to a fully balanced, synergized team of eles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Ive always enjoyed fighting revenents, hollo, and eles. The only times I didn't like it, is pro hollo/cata.. who are essentially unkillable, you see the limits of spec ceilings then. You don't get that feeling with a pro revenent, its obvious what you did wrong, and that you have a chance if you don't mess up. Oh I forget, there are some funny engi meme builds to fight, but you don't see then much, gadgets etc. I also don't mind so much fighting power necros, but the double life often feels cheap, yet its clear what you can do in range kiting etc.

Other than that, no.. nothing else feels fun to fight. Block/immune spam while still being able to attack, target drop/stealth spam for low risk game play. Multiple specs that have forgiving mechanics that allow way too much face tanking (some by design). Multiple specs applying poison/confusion way to easily for how powerful the debuffs are.

Gaurdian is now the worse of the worse. Front loaded with block spam, and easy power dps mechanics + multiple gap closers.

The W in WB stands for never let go of "W".

The D in DH stands for never press "Dodge". 

Its not a joke, watch the average WB/DH and youll see it, the mechanics of the specs litteraly make that happen. Ive also been fighting some power core gaurds with bow recently, and that also does eye watering damage for how tanky it is. On core ele I would be 11k hp and paper thin for that kind of damage, multiple abilitys in the game could genuinely 1 shot me.

Weren't you the guy making threads about nerfing dh (now I see you added willbender) because you couldn't beat them on your core malyx/ventari mace/axe/shortbow condi build?

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Kuya.6495 said:

Weren't you the guy making threads about nerfing dh (now I see you added willbender) because you couldn't beat them on your core malyx/ventari mace/axe/shortbow condi build?

Don't try to die to his build ;), which you probably underestimate too much 😂. Since he is atm ez plat with it solo queues ^^

Edited by arazoth.7290

@Gotejjeken.1267 i mean.... the tether might be an annoying mechanic but it is also rn the only real good way to deal with classes that could permanent kite away (running) plus doing dmg from range to its targeds. Also yes fullcounter plus endurepain might be a bit stupid but there are classes that got way more stupid mechanics just like:

ele could stack invulns plus blocks after each other while have also access to good amount of blinds, ranged dmg, melee DMG, Ports, CCs.

Mes is litterly the invuln spamming class itself with alot of Ports, blinds (If traited) and dazes and Blocks If played on Virtuoso plus weapons.

Thiefs got alot of evades, blinds, Ports and stealth

I could go on buuut yea. Every class in this game got some very stupid self sustain mechanics. And for especialy melee only classes they are more than needed. Specialy cause this game does more and more favor the "Kite away and doing ranged dmg" Kind of Playstyle ^^

• Confused 1