Charm Extraction Question

I see that charms come from salvaging runes, but I've gotten 'some' (not many, enough for my first legendary rune, so we can skip past that part) since they were introduced, but not many.

I don't ever really salvage 'a rune', per se. I just salvage gear I identify from unid gear.

My question: Is the rate of acquisition better on the item runes directly vs salvaging a piece of gear that has the rune? Or, are the success rates the same regardless?

I ask because I did happen upon an Endless Upgrade Extractor (one of my best lucky pulls), and if the rates are better on raw runes, I could extract runes from 'every' piece of gear and salvage separately, but that seems like an awful lot of work, and would only seemingly be worthwhile if there was a better success rate.

TIA

52 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

I see that charms come from salvaging runes, but I've gotten 'some' (not many, enough for my first legendary rune, so we can skip past that part) since they were introduced, but not many.

I don't ever really salvage 'a rune', per se. I just salvage gear I identify from unid gear.

My question: Is the rate of acquisition better on the item runes directly vs salvaging a piece of gear that has the rune? Or, are the success rates the same regardless?

I ask because I did happen upon an Endless Upgrade Extractor (one of my best lucky pulls), and if the rates are better on raw runes, I could extract runes from 'every' piece of gear and salvage separately, but that seems like an awful lot of work, and would only seemingly be worthwhile if there was a better success rate.

TIA

If you look at the salvage kits you can see the chance to salvage an upgrade, so the difference depends on the kit you use. The runecrafter salvage-o-matic has a 100%-chance, that's the same as when you would salvage the runes directly. The copperfed e.g. only has 20%, so you will get only 1/5 of the mats you would get when you salvage the runes separately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

If you look at the salvage kits you can see the chance to salvage an upgrade, so the difference depends on the kit you use. The runecrafter salvage-o-matic has a 100%-chance, that's the same as when you would salvage the runes directly. The copperfed e.g. only has 20%, so you will get only 1/5 of the mats you would get when you salvage the runes separately.

Ahhh that is what the runecrafter salvager is for! Light dawns on marble head!

Robin, to the gem store! 🦇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, notebene.3190 said:

Ahhh that is what the runecrafter salvager is for! Light dawns on marble head!

Robin, to the gem store! 🦇

Just take care that you will need to salavage tons of masterwork gear until it pays off compared to the mystic kit or selling the unidentified gear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

Just take care that you will need to salavage tons of masterwork gear until it pays off compared to the mystic kit or selling the unidentified gear.

Yeah. I just got it, and now I'm having buyers remorse. 😞

I guess maybe I should pose my question from scratch: What is the most efficient way to salvage charms?

17 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Yeah. I just got it, and now I'm having buyers remorse. 😞

I guess maybe I should pose my question from scratch: What is the most efficient way to salvage charms?

The most efficient way, if it's for gold: https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/unid-gear

If you want the time efficient variant, I guess it would be to wait untill the price goes down a bit and then buy it on the TP.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Okay, thanks, that is what I was looking for. I 'thought' that might be right, but wanted to check.

Guess I'll bank my runecrafter I bought, oh well, live and learn.

You could try contacting the CS Team and see if you could get a refund on the item.  It's not like it's an account-unlock. 

• Thanks 1

Also, a note, relics can give charms also.  I got about 1 charm for every 6-7 relics I salvaged and with more than 60 level 80s that saved me a ton of money.  Since relics will essentially be useless if you have a legendary one might as well salvage and make or save money (hint relic of the daredevil has a chance to drop charm of skill which is currently the most expensive of the three)

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mattahood.9423 said:

Also, a note, relics can give charms also.  I got about 1 charm for every 6-7 relics I salvaged and with more than 60 level 80s that saved me a ton of money.  Since relics will essentially be useless if you have a legendary one might as well salvage and make or save money (hint relic of the daredevil has a chance to drop charm of skill which is currently the most expensive of the three)

That’s a good idea. Think I’ll wait till I get my hands on that legendary before I start dismantling, just in case.

Looking forward to finishing my legendary rune set after I get done saving for my leggy armor!

On 1/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, notebene.3190 said:

Okay, thanks, that is what I was looking for. I 'thought' that might be right, but wanted to check.

Guess I'll bank my runecrafter I bought, oh well, live and learn.

You'll get more money by using it over time, regardless, no point in banking it. I usually salvage all blue with a copper fed, all green with a runecrafter (or at least the greens that have runes and sigils) and all 68 level rares and higher with a mystic salvage kit or a silver fed.

• Like 1

I bought Runecrafter almost a year and do the same as Vayne (which I believe is what fast farming recommend), blue with copper, green with runecrafter and gold/orange with silver (if I don't sell on TP). I'm currently also salvaging gold armour which contains a skill based rune with Runecraft just to maximise my chance of getting a few more Charms of Skill.

Over the last year I've accumulated enough charms and symbols that I would have enough to craft a Legendary Rune if I hadn't used 12 Charms of Skill on Trapper Runes. As it is I'm close. So it seems to me that Runecrafter is a long term thing, it gradually adds charms/symbols to your material storage but takes thousands of salvages to get significant amounts. As others said here it probably takes a long time to provide a positive return on investment tho if you used gold to gem conversion to buy it.

• Like 1

I’m fairly certain that charms don’t qualify as an upgrade but qualify as “rarer materials”  with respect to the salvage kits .  The odds for the gem store bought runecrafters salvage-o-matic returning “rare materials” is only 20%, less than other options. When salvaging returns rare materials it won’t necessarily be a charm  

See here

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

Edited by Tinker.6924
Grammar

13 minutes ago, Tinker.6924 said:

I’m fairly certain that charms don’t qualify as an upgrade but qualify as “rarer materials”  with respect to the salvage kits .  The odds for the gem store bought runecrafters salvage-o-matic returning “rare materials” is only 20%, less than other options. When salvaging returns rare materials it won’t necessarily be a charm  

See here

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

Charms are salvaged from upgrade, if you don't use a runecraft salvage you don't always salvage the upgrade, so you don't even get a shot at getting a charm

The description of the Runecrafter is a bit unclear, true. It has a 100% chance to return crafting materials from an upgrade, but the chance of getting charms and symbols from that is still pretty low and you will almost never have a result that just "extracts" the upgrade intact. The only way to guarantee that is with a BL salvage kit/extractor.

I got buyer's remorse when I first bought it too, but over time it's turned out to be worthwhile. I don't get a huge influx of symbols and charms, but over time it has been noticeably more than before I had it. It's not an instant-gratification kind of thing.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
  • Like 1