Just a Thought

43 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

.Graphical processing and audio are handled by different parts of the computer.  

Otherwise known as the GPU and CPU (few use a sound card today) 😛

But yeah audio doesn’t produce lag unless the client has a problem. If a player pops a skill, over the network that will just be the skill use and how it interact with the game. The graphics and audio is client side. Even if you turn off audio - or graphics for that matter - the server still need to transmit the same data.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

On 2/2/2024 at 12:31 PM, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Please don't be too mean.

Could the audio be culpable for some of the WvW lag?

We can turn down graphics. I would assume the players sounds/sound effects/voices ect...  are also traveling in the same pipeline.

Thoughts?

you can turn those down too, in option, set everything to fastest and switch off everything you don't need.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:18 PM, SweetPotato.7456 said:

you can turn those down too, in option, set everything to fastest and switch off everything you don't need.

Yeah, i was just curious if it traveled in the pipeline with whatever else causes the bad lag in WvW.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Yeah, i was just curious if it traveled in the pipeline with whatever else causes the bad lag in WvW.

Fun fact. Audio based bugs causing crashes in wvw were a thing many many years ago. 

But these got fixed. 

What, if I remember correctly, happened was that the game tries to play an audio file but fails to do so. So it tried over and over again until your memory was full or something. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What, if I remember correctly, happened was that the game tries to play an audio file but fails to do so. So it tried over and over again until your memory was full or something. 

Interesting. I usually down off the music and the general volume slider to like 20% because of voice chat.

That wouldn't even help with such bugs because it'd try to play the music anyway, just mute.

57 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Interesting. I usually down off the music and the general volume slider to like 20% because of voice chat.

That wouldn't even help with such bugs because it'd try to play the music anyway, just mute.

Yep. The game being muted didnt help.

Something something when 100 players clash and the game has to calc like a million sound effects.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

Well it might be more simple than you think depending on how Anet built their infrastructure for that, the audio files are saved on the client side and normally they would have unique identifiers that the server will tell which to play.

Normally the unique identifiers are short to save on data and are for inner understanding like:

"suma" - spec unique mode activate

"sumd"  - spec unique mode deactivate 

Or perhaps going more specific like:

"slbma" - soulbeast merge active

"slbmd" - soulbeast merge deactivate 

Since we don't know how it's built we can just assume.

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197

On 2/2/2024 at 4:31 AM, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Please don't be too mean.

Could the audio be culpable for some of the WvW lag?

We can turn down graphics. I would assume the players sounds/sound effects/voices ect...  are also traveling in the same pipeline.

Thoughts?

If u notice some delay of sounds vanishing during gameplay that's disk/os cache related nothing to do with the  packages.