Helping Anet Monetize: Profession Skill Dye Channels

oscuro.9720

Hi! I’ve spent very little money on this game despite 1000s of hours played. So I thought I’d bring you a series that will make me the most hated player in the game;

How Anet can monetize the game that even I would pay!!!!

Episode 1: Profession skill dye channels

If you sell dye channels for the profession skills, I would literally buy them the first day.

Neon green Whirling Wrath? Hell yea! Change the jade mech colors? Hell yea! Black effects on spell breaker? Hell yea! Turn Mesmer skills pure white? Hell yea! Role play as a different power ranger every day of the week? HELL YEA!

10/10 would buy.

Thank you for following episode 1. Episode 2 has been preemptively cancelled because of anticipated hate.

peace

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

While I think that this would complete the fashion wars, I see problems with it as well.

1. Technical problems: since we don't really know, how GW2 is programmed we can't judge if it's possible to easily add dye channels.

2. Balance/visibility problems: to be fair this point mainly affects pvp modes, but it's still very important. For example if scourges elite breach would suddenly be displayed purple/pink it might look like mesmers time warp. And while both are punishing to stand in as an opponent, not being able to judge from the looks of a skill to easily tell, what skill it is and making judgement whether you can step into it or have to evade it, would be really bad.

So unless there would either be an option to display enemy spells in their original color, it would be a bad idea to introduce dye channels to skills.

There would also be the option of only the caster seeing the different dyes, but imo that would to some extend invalidate the point of changing colors in the first place. If i put my heart into dyeing a Charakter, I also want other to see it, no?

3. Visual clutter/noise. Another aspect would be, that you could make skills look bad on purpose to disturb other players. I myself have a character, that I tried to make as ugly as possible, by choosing skins that don't match and colors and infusions that don't really work well together. I wouldn't want to see a neon pink, red, neon green spell breaker bubble for example.

• Like 4

While something like auras, soulbeast merge and other character effects being adjustable sounds nice, other skills would hurt readability.
Each class has a main colour for a reason. When I see a skill, I can tell what class it is and what effect it has instantly.
If I stand in this, I get a boon. If I stand here, I'll clear condi and so on.
Another issue is how some colours can make a skill either obnoxiously bright and distracting or really hard to see (that obviously won't make it into PvP and WvW).
Lastly, imagine squad invites to suddenly ask for recolouring, because com prefers a different colour in a specific encounter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

While something like auras, soulbeast merge and other character effects being adjustable sounds nice, other skills would hurt readability.
Each class has a main colour for a reason. When I see a skill, I can tell what class it is and what effect it has instantly.
If I stand in this, I get a boon. If I stand here, I'll clear condi and so on.
Another issue is how some colours can make a skill either obnoxiously bright and distracting or really hard to see (that obviously won't make it into PvP and WvW).

These issues could be easily circumvented by giving players an option to disable other players' particle dyes.

After all, the point of dying the effects would be to see it for yourself, not to smear it into the faces of other players.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

While I think that this would complete the fashion wars, I see problems with it as well.

1. Technical problems: since we don't really know, how GW2 is programmed we can't judge if it's possible to easily add dye channels.

2. Balance/visibility problems: to be fair this point mainly affects pvp modes, but it's still very important. For example if scourges elite breach would suddenly be displayed purple/pink it might look like mesmers time warp. And while both are punishing to stand in as an opponent, not being able to judge from the looks of a skill to easily tell, what skill it is and making judgement whether you can step into it or have to evade it, would be really bad.

So unless there would either be an option to display enemy spells in their original color, it would be a bad idea to introduce dye channels to skills.

There would also be the option of only the caster seeing the different dyes, but imo that would to some extend invalidate the point of changing colors in the first place. If i put my heart into dyeing a Charakter, I also want other to see it, no?

3. Visual clutter/noise. Another aspect would be, that you could make skills look bad on purpose to disturb other players. I myself have a character, that I tried to make as ugly as possible, by choosing skins that don't match and colors and infusions that don't really work well together. I wouldn't want to see a neon pink, red, neon green spell breaker bubble for example.

#1 isn't our problem. If they want money, work is required.

#2 you gave a decent solution, just make it so in competitive modes, this is automatically turned on so only your dyed skills are displayed.

#3 there should already be a min fx option and that goes doubly so for PvE. And I'm sure there would be other things added to censor players before this idea would get off the table, like an Ele coloring their water/ice skills yellow or something.

My only counter to this idea is, they don't even have weapon dye channels so how would this idea ever be on the table?

18 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Make the dye channels only visible to the player who purchased them (like a graphics mod for a game that only affects the local client) or a toggle able option? The rest idk, I’m just saying I’d buy it.

I want this.

I simply must match skill/class color with wardrobe, it must match, if it doesnt match: *autistic noises*.

Never gonna happen, nu-gen dev wishes first, players second.

Maybe original devs would have given it to us, i doubt ones that inherited game knows how to entangle code for proper skill dye channel. Never gonna happen, lock the thread mods, its done.

• Confused 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:35 AM, Beddo.1907 said:

I like legendaries that hide the big tutle cannon from soulbeast. People don't see it coming 90 % of the time 🙂

i'm pretty sure if they had the technical ability to do this they would, especially selling new mech skins. They did it with city of heroes and that was very well received.

Also selling mech skins would be tantamount to just printing money

2 hours ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

i'm pretty sure if they had the technical ability to do this they would, especially selling new mech skins. They did it with city of heroes and that was very well received.

Also selling mech skins would be tantamount to just printing money

Speaking of which, I heard that City of Heroes recently got the good graces from NC Soft to the private servers that have been adding updates and additions to it.  Lots of customization to be had.