Fishing and it's future

The mechanic of chasing the rectangle "fish" once hooked is annoyingly unforgiving. If it's even slightly outside the hook you lose progress. You should gain progress even if it's only partially in  the zone, just less than if it was fully in. 

Also way more fish per spot 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I think its cute OP that you would even think fishing would get expanded.

Well... while I agree that I wouldn't expect any sweeping changes, they did add a new line of fish and holes with the SOTO release, and continue to add rod and skiff skins... I'm optimistic that there will continue to be some refinement and love for the anglers.

• Like 2

Ok, in addition to all of the ideas that should have happened already (tacklebox, persistent fishing stacks, etc) here's my new wrinkle to fishing:

You are fishing.  You have a bite!  Based on RNG (which could be boosted with various items), suddenly your chill mini-game morphs into an epic battle!  Some kind of added mechanism is added to the mini-game to increase difficulty, and the fish becomes a "WHOPPER"; a fish that is twice the size of what you were going to catch... and rewards are improved.  New achievement line, added corresponding gem-store utility items, etc...  

Maybe?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Ok, in addition to all of the ideas that should have happened already (tacklebox, persistent fishing stacks, etc) here's my new wrinkle to fishing:

You are fishing.  You have a bite!  Based on RNG (which could be boosted with various items), suddenly your chill mini-game morphs into an epic battle!  Some kind of added mechanism is added to the mini-game to increase difficulty, and the fish becomes a "WHOPPER"; a fish that is twice the size of what you were going to catch... and rewards are improved.  New achievement line, added corresponding gem-store utility items, etc...  

Maybe?

On paper it sounds okay, like you pull a shark and you have to fight it off. however in practise, you risk the fishing stacks with this. and while Zephyrite Fish jerky can salvage such a situation, it is really annoying. i doubt the extra loot anet is willing to give will balance it out.

1 minute ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

On paper it sounds okay, like you pull a shark and you have to fight it off. however in practise, you risk the fishing stacks with this. and while Zephyrite Fish jerky can salvage such a situation, it is really annoying. i doubt the extra loot anet is willing to give will balance it out.

Unfortunately this is the trick with everything Anet adds to the game... the seemingly inevitable resulting imbalance and the subsequent patches to re-balance (balance?  lol)

Anyway, while we can be skeptical, I don't think it's a reason not to try... else the game stagnates and nothing moves forward... Trust in the process, to eventually work out any kinks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Unfortunately this is the trick with everything Anet adds to the game... the seemingly inevitable resulting imbalance and the subsequent patches to re-balance (balance?  lol)

Anyway, while we can be skeptical, I don't think it's a reason not to try... else the game stagnates and nothing moves forward... Trust in the process, to eventually work out any kinks...

Oh i agree that we have to see what works. but anet tends to reward things with 2 greens and a blue. and i doubt that RNG aspect will be worth that.

3 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

Oh! that is helpful! thanks!. though don't those give a 33% of an extra strike? so you wont get up to 6 attempts at a fishing hole?

I'm not sure of the exact maximum tries; maybe there a couple of boosters than be used together.  Not sure, only that you can increase beyond the three...

7 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

I fully support this! Fishing needs more love. even if it only is giving us the ability to keep our fishing stacks on map changes.

Although you aren't able to keep your fishing stacks on map changes, it's very easy to instantly increase them to 25/50/75/99 as soon as you start on a new map. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zephyrite_Fish_Jerky

7 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

I also appreciate this post. 
However, honestly, I'd just be happy with a larger amount of fish per fishing hole.

The whole mechanic feels clunky, get on boat, drive to spot, park boat, fish for 3 fish, unpark boat, drive away again.

It's not as fluid as it needs to be, increasing the catch amount would go a long way to improving that. 

7 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

That would also be great yeah. like maybe double the catches per hole? to 6 feesh?

If you use an Item Booster (the mastercraft version can be purchased from any laurel vendor) it potentially increases the fish caught from 3 to 6. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_Booster

As for everyone here complaining that fishing was a waste of time, fishing alone made me enough gold to finance 20+ legendaries.  I went from having only 4 legendary weapons to now having one of each (incl. all UW weapons) and duplicate sword, pistol, axe, and dagger, 2 legendary rings, legendary backpiece, as well as 7 legendary runes and 4 legendary sigils.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What fishing needs, before expanding idea (which is what the OP mostly has written down) is making it less fighting with the UI and game mechanic

- The delay to "anchor" your skiff. Make the #10 button either go "live" only when you are at a full stop or make the skiff stop when you hit the button and your speed is close to zero (I don't want an "emergency break" at full speed, just something that clearly lets you stop near a fishing hole.
- The F1 button thing we have for toggle leyline interaction on a griffon/skyskale on and off, but with a "auto-switch" to the fishing rod, when you anchor the skiff. So many time, you attack something in the water with a ranged weapon, when you have the auto-target option on. Fiddling around with activating the fishing rod is pretty unnecessary.
- Bait and lures running out is badly telegraphed to the player. Something could be added to the top of the fishing UI, that shows the current bait used (e.g. by showing the bait's icon) and a warning, if you run out of a lure. The current number of Fishing power should also be placed in the UI. I don#t understand why I have to open the complete hero panel to check the numbers I have talked about here.
- Make the window to de-summon the skiff (which makes you lose the cumulative fishing stacks) longer or only remove the fishing stacks when map changing.
- Or perhaps do not remove the fishing stacks at all, when you get off the skiff! Reset them every day, but let us keep them throughout the day. I find it very annoying for things like Ascalon fisher or Fire Island fisher, where you pretty much have to change areas to start from scratch all over again.
- Well, and a Bait box would be nice, so I don't have to allocate a bag tab to fishing (which would allow to do more fishing on characters that are not your mains and have less expansive personal bag spaces.

PS: You could also address the problem of hostile wildlife interfering with fishing, because I would rather have a skill to "calm down" wildlife than to hit them with a depth charge.

Edited by Gorani.7205
  • Confused 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:27 PM, Ronin.4501 said:

Although you aren't able to keep your fishing stacks on map changes, it's very easy to instantly increase them to 25/50/75/99 as soon as you start on a new map. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zephyrite_Fish_Jerky

If you use an Item Booster (the mastercraft version can be purchased from any laurel vendor) it potentially increases the fish caught from 3 to 6. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_Booster

As for everyone here complaining that fishing was a waste of time, fishing alone made me enough gold to finance 20+ legendaries.  I went from having only 4 legendary weapons to now having one of each (incl. all UW weapons) and duplicate sword, pistol, axe, and dagger, 2 legendary rings, legendary backpiece, as well as 7 legendary runes and 4 legendary sigils.

I don't think you understood my complaint, I'm saying that the amount of fishing needs to increase, not the amount of fish. 
Going to a spot for 3 fish doesn't feel worth it, going to it for 5 would do. 

If I managed to get 3 fish per a cast, sure that's fine as well, but right now, it's not worth my time investment as it doesn't feel chilled out or fun to play. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

I don't think you understood my complaint, I'm saying that the amount of fishing needs to increase, not the amount of fish. 
Going to a spot for 3 fish doesn't feel worth it, going to it for 5 would do. 

If I managed to get 3 fish per a cast, sure that's fine as well, but right now, it's not worth my time investment as it doesn't feel chilled out or fun to play. 

Using a Booster doesn't increase the amount of fish caught per cast, it increases the amount of casts per fishing hole (potentially from 3 casts with fish caught to 6 casts with fish caught). 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo/grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

but right now, it's not worth my time investment as it doesn't feel chilled out or fun to play. 

I think this was the point with Anet's implementation of fishing.  I don't believe that they wanted it to be a chilled out type of thing.  I think that, as designed, it's intended to be a more active game-play as it encourages fishing with others and also the occasional things that attack or otherwise disrupt it.  /shrug

• Sad 1

I like fishing I can do it for hours while listening to music or watching a show.

I wish it was more than just legendary hunting though.

Suggestions:

• Add an icon to the buff row, showing how much bait you have equipped.
  • Fix how the stacks work while riding the skiff, it's been a couple times where I never left my skiff yet the stacks got lost, it happened today again, I had to quickly board the skiff again (ride) while I was on top of it and anchor it to avoid the timer running out... kinda annoying.
Edited by red.9862
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Using a Booster doesn't increase the amount of fish caught per cast, it increases the amount of casts per fishing hole (potentially from 3 casts with fish caught to 6 casts with fish caught). 

You what? I had no idea! Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1