Explain to me like I'm five why Rampart Splitter does as much as an auto attack.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rampart_Splitter

This is rampart splitter.

• Rampart Splitter: Reduced the power coefficient from 1.25 to 0.5 in PvP and WvW.

This is the patch note they did one millisecond before dropping the weapon into the game.

This is the damage on berserker amulet on a lightarmor.

This is an autoattack.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Ok, now compare those attacks and coefficients to rev's staff.
Or it could also mean that rev staff has been garbage for years now, not only power-crept but also outdated in design, specially in contrast with these weapons.
(And tbf I also don't know the state of thief's staff as a melee weapon.)

Be glad that you still have damage, because strangely enough, warrior's staff doesn't have the usual pve splits on every skill, such as the auto-attack.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Sereath.1428 you know that with the rampant splitter Nerf the dmg from warrs staff is like nearly the same as the one of revs? It just do only slightly better dmg. While on the other Hand rev also got a better Block(shorter CD+ blind) and better CC (knockback plus evade). In this case i would say both weapons are good actually ^~^

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

It just do only slightly better dmg.

Does about infinitely more healing, roughly.
Also that was only a nerf on zerk's primal burst, not the regular one.

Anyways the answer is probably because it's a 5s CD, does a lot of healing and regen, immob, possible weakness/quickness/might depending on traits, and ultimately, because it's a support weapon.

Overnerfed maybe, but it exists almost entirely to enable support warrior builds, same as half the added weapons. Nobody complains about druid's staff not hurting.

Edited by Shagie.7612
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

I'm just searching for an excuse to spam this guy's videos

A video from... 6 months ago, before the staff coefficient nerf, and nerf to OWP's coefficient, duration, and strike interval?
I mean yeah you can still do that to some degree, but it's OWP and Sic 'Em doing the damage.

It is funny tho, soulbeast wvw meme videos are always fun

Edited by Shagie.7612
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sereath.1428 said:

Be glad that you still have damage, because strangely enough, warrior's staff doesn't have the usual pve splits on every skill, such as the auto-attack.

ᴰᵃᵐⁿ ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ⁿᵉᵛᵉʳ ˢᵉᵉⁿ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᵗᵉˡˡᶦⁿᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵇᵉ ᵍˡᵃᵈ ᶠᵒʳ ᵃ ¹ᵏ ᵍˡᵃˢˢ ᵃᵐᵘˡᵉᵗ ᶜʳᶦᵗ ᵇᵉᶜᵃᵘˢᵉ ᶦᵗ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵇᵉ ʷᵒʳˢᵉ, ᵗʰᵃᵗ'ˢ ᶜʳᵃᶻʸ 

Anyways the answer is probably because it's a 5s CD, does a lot of healing and regen, immob, possible weakness/quickness/might depending on traits,

I don't think a <1k heal and 5 seconds of regen, and a potential to do weakness if it hits is the answer.  I don't think you think that either.

and ultimately, because it's a support weapon.

18 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

cause staff is a support weapon

Does being support focused mean your skills should hit for 1k while you use the thing that is support focused? 

Ok, now compare those attacks and coefficients to rev's staff.

Is Herald a support focused spec? 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Does being support focused mean your skills should hit for 1k while you use the thing that is support focused? 

Well as long as we are talking about low dps support weapons, staff ele does 0 damage cause it misses its projectiles most of the time and its ground target cant hit anyone with a w key.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

staff ele does 0 damage cause it misses its projectiles most of the time and its ground target cant hit anyone with a w key.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pile_Driver

?

Well as long as we are talking about low dps support weapons,

I'm just trying to find out why rampart splitter was deliberately adjusted to hit like it does. There must be a logical reason. 

• Confused 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Funny you bring up pile driver as its one of the slowest, easiest to avoid attacks staff has

Slow, easy to avoid attacks should hit hard, even if the weapon is support focused.

Digression aside, still would like an explanation on why specifically Rampart Splitter got this treatment. Path to Victory was unchanged, so obviously in some instances damage on support oriented weapons and specs are allowed. I don't think we need to go off the rails talking about staff ele right now, or pretending like support weapons right now cannot be built to hit hard if the player is willing to slot amulets/specs that are damage oriented. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Slow, easy to avoid attacks should hit hard, even if the weapon is support focused.

Digression aside, still would like an explanation on why specifically Rampart Splitter got this treatment. Path to Victory was unchanged, so obviously in some instances damage on support oriented weapons and specs are allowed. I don't think we need to go off the rails talking about staff ele right now, or pretending like support weapons right now cannot be built to hit hard if the player is willing to slot amulets/specs that are damage oriented. 

The last thing this game needs is more bunkers which is what staff war is. It already has mobility, healing, barrier, boons, cc, block, aoe, does it really need great damage too? All the other new support weapons have awful damage: engi SB, mes rifle, rev scepter. Staff guard has bad damage on everything except 2. Ranger staff basically has 0 damage aside from the auto attack. The only real outlier is thief scepter.

Edited by Paradoxoglanis.1904
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

It already has mobility, healing, barrier, boons, cc, block, aoe, does it really need great damage too?

No, 3.5ish-k crit  on burst is fine. I'm not arguing it needs to be a big damage weapon, but there is a large gap between that and critting for 1k when you're completely glass. 

The last thing this game needs is more bunkers which is what staff war is.

I don't think making the weapon incapable of doing damage if you slot for it is how you get less bunkers, but that's just me.

All the other new support weapons have awful damage:  rev scepter

This Rev Scepter?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

This is rampant growth.

Rampant Growth - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Less damage (by over half), less healing, no regen, and same immob as Rampart Splitter.  

As for staff in general, ranger staff does zero damage outside of the auto-attack.  

But keep on trauma dumping your Warrior experiences 

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This is rampant growth.

Less damage (by over half), less healing, no regen, and same immob as Rampart Splitter.  

As for staff in general, ranger staff does zero damage outside of the auto-attack.  

The coefficient in competitive for Rampart Splitter is 0.5 now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This is rampant growth.

??? Rampant growth does more than twice the damage of rampart splitter, because the coefficient is 1.0 in pvp, and it hits multiple times. Even setting aside the fact that skill comparisons miss the point (namely, that critting for 1 to 1.5 k on a burst skill should be an obvious problem to address), at least make sure the skill comparison fits what you're alleging. 

It's okay though. I forgive you for missing the patch note. I missed it too. Namaste 🙏

These forums are wild, having an issue with1k burst skills is trauma dumping, Forum Moderator please free me 💀 

I just want my explanation, enlighten pls? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Even setting aside the fact that skill comparisons miss the point (namely, that critting for 1 to 1.5 k on a burst skill should be an obvious problem to address)

Even with the 0.5 coeffic it still heals for more, and that's the point.  You shouldn't get a 4-5k crit and then a 1k heal off it.  The point is rampant growth only gives a 3k 'burst' on full power and a 1k heal, so that's probably as much as you can expect from rampart splitter (as they seem to be balancing primal bursts along the lines of unleashed ambushes or vice versa). 

They probably just overnerfed splitter and it'll be back to the 3k mark at some point.  

BTW it is trauma dumping when as mentioned ranger staff does no damage outside a meme build that was nerfed many moons ago.  And as mentioned, Ranger staff also doesn't have half the utility of warrior staff...so yeah.  

Look if you put bullet catcher or line breaker on Ranger staff, I'd be happy that wisp only crit for 1k instead of doing...oh yeah, nothing.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Even with the 0.5 coeffic it still heals for more, and that's the point.  You shouldn't get a 4-5k crit and then a 1k heal off it.  The point is rampant growth only gives a 3k 'burst' on full power and a 1k heal, so that's probably as much as you can expect from rampart splitter (as they seem to be balancing primal bursts along the lines of unleashed ambushes or vice versa). 

All I want is 3.5ish k~

They probably just overnerfed splitter and it'll be back to the 3k mark at some point.  

It was like 3.5ish k before the nerf, is the problem. They looked at it, said "nah", then made it what it is now.

BTW it is trauma dumping when as mentioned ranger staff does no damage outside a meme build that was nerfed many moons ago.  And as mentioned, Ranger staff also doesn't have half the utility of warrior staff...so yeah.  

Look if you put bullet catcher or line breaker on Ranger staff, I'd be happy that wisp only crit for 1k instead of doing...oh yeah, nothing.  

Look, I'm not gonna argue whether or not it's trauma dumping. If you consider it that, fine, I do complain about power zerker  a lot. I'd love to wrap up this comedy act but I keep getting handed new material its so weird-

That aside:

To be fair, ranger's kit is a bit more flexible than warrior's overall, which is why I said

skill comparisons miss the point (namely, that critting for 1 to 1.5 k on a burst skill should be an obvious problem to address),

Staff is helping make up that difference. I'm just befuddled at how power zerker seems to magnetically catch weird unnecessary nerfs that don't make any sense. This is specifically a nerf to power zerker's damage. Someone squinted at rampart splitter and thought 3k on glass hit too hard.

I'm just perplexed.

Bamboozled

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Do I need to post up a vid of fighting heal zerker on a point and show how many boons / heal potential it has? 

Loool, Healzerker is the worst healer in the game with the worst sustain. Don't every try. 🤣😂

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Do I need to post up a vid of fighting heal zerker on a point and show how many boons / heal potential it has? 

You can if you want, but it doesn't matter for anything covered in this thread. I'm asking for rampart splitter damage under a specific circumstance, where it was actively removed.

If you slot avatar's or whatever it's not going to hit anyone for anything. even if the coeff is 1.0. It doesn't justify the hit critting for 1.5k on berserker amulet.  That interaction was specifically created, and I would like to know why.