Wiki problem

23 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

@devs
On slower connections the main page loads real slow. Mostly due to massive filesizes of graphics.
Website optimization happens to be my real life skill so if you want I'll be happy to help (be it tips or right down implementing the fixes)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Help:Editing

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Help:Contents

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki_talk:Community_portal

• Thanks 2

As @Omega.6801 said it's a community run project, Anet host it and occasionally add info (I assume that's where a lot of the concept art came from) but they don't run it. Like all Wiki's it's not only community run but open to contributions from anyone who wants to make them. There are rules of course, and vandalism and unhelpful changes will be reverted and other people may edit what you've done, but no one needs anyone else's permission to become a Wiki editior.

In this case I think it would be a good idea to get consensus among editors first, because the graphics on the main page change regularly so just fixing the current one will only be a tempoary change. The best place to do that is generally on the Talk Page for whichever page you want changed, but the main page has a special 'edit copy' version for proposing and trying out changes, so it's probably best to use that version's Talk Page, as it's more active.

• Like 1

Do you mean the wiki itself as a standalone site, or do you mean this performance issue happens when launched from the /wiki chat command?

If the first, then it's community-driven as discussed above. If it's the invoked-from-chat-window thing, that might indeed be a dev issue.

52 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

@devs
On slower connections the main page loads real slow. Mostly due to massive filesizes of graphics.
Website optimization happens to be my real life skill so if you want I'll be happy to help (be it tips or right down implementing the fixes)

so it can’t have x amount of graphics because you have a slow connection?   why not run pi hole or a browser plugin that stops auto loading images and assign it to websites?

I also didn’t realize anyone even uses the main page.  most people either use google or /wiki because the search function defaults to exact match. 

2 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Do you mean the wiki itself as a standalone site, or do you mean this performance issue happens when launched from the /wiki chat command?

If the first, then it's community-driven as discussed above. If it's the invoked-from-chat-window thing, that might indeed be a dev issue.

/wiki just sends a request to explorer to open a weblink.  it uses the default browser set in windows. so it would depend on browser behavior

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

As @Omega.6801 said it's a community run project, Anet host it and occasionally add info (I assume that's where a lot of the concept art came from) but they don't run it. Like all Wiki's it's not only community run but open to contributions from anyone who wants to make them. There are rules of course, and vandalism and unhelpful changes will be reverted and other people may edit what you've done, but no one needs anyone else's permission to become a Wiki editior.

In this case I think it would be a good idea to get consensus among editors first, because the graphics on the main page change regularly so just fixing the current one will only be a tempoary change. The best place to do that is generally on the Talk Page for whichever page you want changed, but the main page has a special 'edit copy' version for proposing and trying out changes, so it's probably best to use that version's Talk Page, as it's more active.

Tnx for the tip.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

One problem I have with the Wiki is how they set up the achievements. So if you come to the Wiki for better explanation of how to complete the achievement,  some of them don't have their own page, they share one page with other achievement and no additional information. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1