Balance patch preview

speaking on pve tempest here only!

I really dont understand certain things on tempest healer, I really do love the spec but it lacks behind in so many ways. With all the current boon and stability spam other healers have I dont get why tempest is treated this way. The general buffs for ele and specially the cc for staff is really fun, same as new diamon skin! But why is a support spec so unconvient to play?! The core mechanic of that spec (the overloads) are not even provding all boons aoe (vigor/water, swiftness/air, stab/earth), let alone the range of the boons you create is super limited as well. I dont think changing that would be problematic at least not in pve. I understand if aoe stability from earth overload is to much in competetive game modes but at least give earth aura transmute no internal cooldown in pve like it already is in wvw/pvp. Also tempest gets even more protection sources but it already has so many forms of prot generation, why not make it resistance or resolution or atleast make hardy conduits protection increase for party members as well. Tempest in pve is crippled just by the fact that alac only comes from overloads personally I would like it either that the first tick gives the higher alac uptime and each other tick gives smaller one, so you are not that punished if you have to swap for heal and rupt your overload or a completly new way of alac generation. I though of each aura gives alac which seams quite synergistic for at least staff support tempest not sure about the rest and will probably hurt the condi alac dps version of tempest, depending on the alac duration. Maybe even make it like smothering auras so each time you provide an aura you provide alac (either around you or each player who gets an aura gets alac) and everytime you transmute you generate alac around you. i dont know... just throwing ideas

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried Fresh-air tempest for OW with Relic of Zakiros, it's quite nice actually. Finally spammable  fury without shenanigans on relics, arcane, boon duration etc.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGQAIjRYL2mhgl1kfbD-DSRYBRBnPYQBlRgJQpFgtHIkpHBVA-e
 *Edited build with equipment, ~101% precision with ascended food, ~99% with cake. Sigils for might are a must IMO.
With Hammer because easy 100% precision full berserker, air and water skills have nice DPS, but I guess we can try "new" scepter or whatever.

Overload Air buffed + fury, 
Flow Like Water buffed,
+300 vitality (not essential, but better than nothing),
Armor of Earth 25sec CD, nice protection uptime ( -40% damage with tempest)
Gathered Focus no kitten threshold,
Feel the Burn 8 mights + fury

It's not S tier like Untamed, reaper ... but clearly playable and fun.
It just lack quickness (or alacrity but with Transcendant Tempest)

*edited 2: Tried a bit with different setup on Golem, I'm not a pro of tempest I don't know how to make the best use of Transcendant Tempest Buff. As if I should just spam Air overload or rotate.
Usually I go Air overload > #2 + swap water while casting > Water #2 > an other attunement #2 + #5 > Fresh-Air, repeat. Did ~35k DPS in a few tries.
While I can still do ~38k with fire tempest scepter/warhorn.
So ... I don't know about instanced pve, but for OW and large pack of mobs like Kryptis etc, it's fun.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Thanks 2

So was it intended that Frozen Burst can no longer combo with anybody else's fields? That feels like a serious downgrade instead of what looks like wanted to be a buff.

Edit: okay, tested it with a bunch of friendly people in the Aerodrome, and I can absolutely confirm that Frozen Burst completely ignores fields from other players, regardless of party/squad status.

Edit 2: it's even weirder. The skill seems to be unsure of what field to combo with (yes, they are definitely my own fields). At times, it doesn't even properly combo at all.

Edited by Khaldris.9026
Testing updates
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This has to be a bug, Frozen Burst does not give an aura when targeting an enemy and you are outside of 240 range? I have played with this in WvW and sometimes it doesn't trigger even when you have nothing targeted. It also will not trigger if an enemy wall, gate or siege is targeted.

16 hours ago, Khaldris.9026 said:

So was it intended that Frozen Burst can no longer combo with anybody else's fields? That feels like a serious downgrade instead of what looks like wanted to be a buff.

Edit: okay, tested it with a bunch of friendly people in the Aerodrome, and I can absolutely confirm that Frozen Burst completely ignores fields from other players, regardless of party/squad status.

Edit 2: it's even weirder. The skill seems to be unsure of what field to combo with (yes, they are definitely my own fields). At times, it doesn't even properly combo at all.

Blast finishers prioritize the most recent field you generated. You can use Dagger Air 2 as an alternative but it has delay

It should prioritize your fields over all others source, then oldest over newest, at least it works like that almost all the time and the few others should be bug or issue with position/verticality. Reaper is easy to test with dark field / ice field and DS #2 #4, but you can try it too with catalyst sword/dagger, 4 fields, leap and blast finishers.

Yet with Frozen Burst ... it's a bit random already if you get the aura or no, but tried it a bit and almost only get frost aura whatever the oldest field.

The Diamond Skin change is horrible. Now my support tempest dies almost instantly, even in full minstrels, with all the condi's being flung around in WvW. Apparently I'm supposed to jump through hoops (literally) to remove condis now? So instead, I'll need to switch over to the single target heal that removes condis and get rid of my group heal? Huh???

I hit like a wet noodle with Minstrel and/or Cele, only thing I bring to the table as support dagger/warhorn are auras and those have been nerfed too. Spent 10 years building this character up and the past couple 'updates' have literally destroyed it. This might be the last straw for me........🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notxara.5467 said:

This has to be a bug, Frozen Burst does not give an aura when targeting an enemy and you are outside of 240 range? I have played with this in WvW and sometimes it doesn't trigger even when you have nothing targeted. It also will not trigger if an enemy wall, gate or siege is targeted.

Yep bugged. tried it in wvw multiple times if the enemy is too far away the blast does not happen. You only get a frost field.

7 hours ago, Kyon.9735 said:

Blast finishers prioritize the most recent field you generated. You can use Dagger Air 2 as an alternative but it has delay

So it really is a nerf, being forced to only do a single thing (if it's working "properly" at least).