Super hard solo pve unlockables

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Well, this is the model that Anet has chosen to build upon.  They likely believe this to be the best use of resources to return the most profit.  Taking resources away to create content that doesn't follow the model would be, to me, an unsound business decision.

By that logic, there is no incentive to add pvp or raids to the game considering the amount of people that play them. I'm willing to bet that the number of people that would try a challenge like this would be much higher. why else would every other mmo have them?

• Confused 2

Story achievements  is where this could be implemented very well. There are a few story achievs that are challenging. The problem is that most are not challenging because they would be hard but because they require you to repeat large parts of the mission which is annoying and takes a long time. I was just doing Bioluminescence collection from LS2. The achievs were mostly fine and you needed a few tries to figure them out but the problem was that some also required doing the whole mission from the start. It's really inconsistent, some missions will straight port you to the boss for the achiev (via purple star), some have a mote to repeat the encounter and for some you have to repeat the whole mission even if only the last boss is the achiev part. 

While doing Bioluminescence I also played Soto story for straight comparison. Here the achievs are way too easy. I literary only missed 2 or 3 in whole Soto on the first playthrough (no repeats and no wiki) and 1 or 2 of them actually require you to take a different choice - so a repeat is a must.

I am OK that the story meta achiev requirements being relatively easy. But they could add another layer of hard achievs (some AP, maybe a title and/or a mini for those who care). I think it would be best if these were on the boss fights (not something that drags through the whole instance and takes forever to repeat), maybe also a challenge mode like they did in LS2. And they should be easy to repeat - a purple star that takes you straight to the boss and maybe even a mote for a straight up reset of the fight if you fail.

Try soloing the Serpent's Ire meta for the Sandswept Isle backpack achievement. I've tried and had those items rotting in my inventory for several months~ it's quite difficult. XD Dead meta where solo is the only option but insanely difficult.

The best solo achievement for me was finishing all the Tribulation Mode weapons but sadly no title awarded for finishing the collections.

On 6/19/2024 at 11:41 PM, Fipmip.7219 said:

By that logic, there is no incentive to add pvp or raids to the game considering the amount of people that play them. I'm willing to bet that the number of people that would try a challenge like this would be much higher. why else would every other mmo have them?

I would agree that PvP and raids are probably much less populated than open world and I would prefer Anet to stop spending resources on those modes.  GW2 was supposed to be different than every other MMO.  If players wanted PvP and/or raids, then there are plenty of other games that provide that content.  /shrug

As for adding this type of content on the hope that many players would engage with it, I'd respond that this was most likely the thinking when raids were introduced and we already agree that raiding isn't as populated as open world.  I think that this would cause Anet to pause and really consider this request in light of how well raids are doing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I would agree that PvP and raids are probably much less populated than open world and I would prefer Anet to stop spending resources on those modes.  GW2 was supposed to be different than every other MMO.  If players wanted PvP and/or raids, then there are plenty of other games that provide that content.  /shrug

As for adding this type of content on the hope that many players would engage with it, I'd respond that this was most likely the thinking when raids were introduced and we already agree that raiding isn't as populated as open world.  I think that this would cause Anet to pause and really consider this request in light of how well raids are doing.

Players engage most with open world/story content in this game.  That does not, however, indicate that there is nothing to be gained from developing content outside of that.  I expect that players who engage exclusively with open world/story content are a minority when compared with players who engage primarily with open world/story content but also engage with other types of content. 

For example, I spend most of my time doing open world/story content, but when I play with my guild we like to do raids/strikes/fractals.  I don't typically engage in this content outside of those times, so if you were judging based solely upon time invested you might think I don't care much about that content.  But that's a false impression.  I'd likely get bored of this game pretty quickly if all I did was play by myself in open world/story content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Players engage most with open world/story content in this game.  That does not, however, indicate that there is nothing to be gained from developing content outside of that.  I expect that players who engage exclusively with open world/story content are a minority when compared with players who engage primarily with open world/story content but also engage with other types of content. 

For example, I spend most of my time doing open world/story content, but when I play with my guild we like to do raids/strikes/fractals.  I don't typically engage in this content outside of those times, so if you were judging based solely upon time invested you might think I don't care much about that content.  But that's a false impression.  I'd likely get bored of this game pretty quickly if all I did was play by myself in open world/story content.

That's valid.  Only Anet has the real data on what content the majority of players engage with.  That more development goes towards open world would indicate to me that this content is where many players play.  Adding super hard solo content, as suggested in this thread, may not align with Anet's direction - -maybe in light of that very data.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's valid.  Only Anet has the real data on what content the majority of players engage with.  That more development goes towards open world would indicate to me that this content is where many players play.  Adding super hard solo content, as suggested in this thread, may not align with Anet's direction - -maybe in light of that very data.

True.  We don't know and they don't know either, as there isn't really any dedicated solo content of this kind to speak of outside of the Queen's Gauntlet.  I was only making the point that you can't necessarily assume that the best path is to support only the most popular content.  Observing trends such as how much time players spend in a particular type of content may lead to a false impression that they don't care about other types of content when, in fact, they do. 

As I said, I spend a relatively small amount of time on raids/strikes/fractals, but it's really the only content I play with my guild.  So, by not supporting raid/strike/fractal content you remove the content I play socially.  Even if it represents a small portion of my play time, it's something I don't get in open world/story content and I'd be very disappointed if they stopped supporting it.  If we did have this type of solo content, it may be that many players would view it in a similar light.  It may not be their focus or something they spend a majority of their time on, but they may still enjoy it and would feel the game loses something by not having it.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

46 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

True.  We don't know and they don't know either, as there isn't really any dedicated solo content of this kind to speak of outside of the Queen's Gauntlet.  I was only making the point that you can't necessarily assume that the best path is to support only the most popular content.  Observing trends such as how much time players spend in a particular type of content may lead to a false impression that they don't care about other types of content when, in fact, they do. 

As I said, I spend a relatively small amount of time on raids/strikes/fractals, but it's really the only content I play with my guild.  So, by not supporting raid/strike/fractal content you remove the content I play socially.  Even if it represents a small portion of my play time, it's something I don't get in open world/story content and I'd be very disappointed if they stopped supporting it.  If we did have this type of solo content, it may be that many players would view it in a similar light.  It may not be their focus or something they spend a majority of their time on, but they may still enjoy it and would feel the game loses something by not having it.

I barely play raids either, but I love that they are in the game and they give me a long term goal as well as interesting high level content. When I did play them, I thought they were brilliant and I experiencing content that had a higher entry level really gave me a feeling of having progressed as a player and a character. Imo theres still good value to putting this stuff in the game. not doing it just because guild wars is "supposed to be different" is kind of nonsense. It still has guild wars unique brand of implementation. there's nothing wrong with borrowing what works and putting your own spin on it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Fipmip.7219 said:

I barely play raids either, but I love that they are in the game and they give me a long term goal as well as interesting high level content. When I did play them, I thought they were brilliant and I experiencing content that had a higher entry level really gave me a feeling of having progressed as a player and a character. Imo theres still good value to putting this stuff in the game. not doing it just because guild wars is "supposed to be different" is kind of nonsense. It still has guild wars unique brand of implementation. there's nothing wrong with borrowing what works and putting your own spin on it.

Yes, I think there are plenty of examples of reactionary design that didn't work out.  Being different for the sake of being different doesn't guarantee good results!