Tempest: Give Option to Make Overload Range

I remember one of the biggest let down when the Tempest was introduced to the game that it was a Melee Spellcaster.  Then this trend continued with Weaver and Catalyst. 

With the Spear being introduced in JW, I don't have high hopes that it will be range. But at least we still have the staff. 

I think it's time to give Elementalist that Classic Mage archetype back by being able to channel spells at range.  

I propose to make one of the traits a build modifying trait.  

Example: 

Focused Calamity: (Major Master Trait) 

Your overloads are now ground target abilities. You are able to still move while channeling your overloads. 

Range of Overloads: 1200 
Radius of Overload related traits: 360. 

Edited by Bunny.9834
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I think if it worked like dragon tooth on sceptre (stays on target) it could be nice, but even then I don't know if I'd take that if it meant that boon application happened where the overload was happening (though it would probably be very desirable for support-focused builds who didn't care about self boon application as a ground targetted aoe).

Edited by igmolicious.5986

Would be a great option for a trait, considering the tradeoff : they are targeted abilities, so you lose the ability to move the aoe while channeling, but you can use them at range. You also ofc lose another trait that you don't take instead of this, and it's gonna be a tempest line trait, so you lose either healing or damage. Regardless, I still think it would make a very fun trait that people would like.

• Thanks 4

Seeing how spear getting an dark field at least make earth overload into an poison field (not sure that earth but seeing cata seems be anet ideal of earth though an dark field would be nice too.) Also water field for water overload.

I like the ideal of making overloads into ground target effects working kind of like hammer 2. There maybe an bit of an issues making it an trait base effect where you will be out of luck if you want the trait for an build but need to overloads to stay on you. Is there an way to have an aoe stick to an target in gw2? (If you target your self the aoe stays with you if you target another player it moves with them (yes for letting you target the other teams players as well) if you target the ground it stays in that spot)

3 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

I like the ideal of making overloads into ground target effects working kind of like hammer 2. There maybe an bit of an issues making it an trait base effect where you will be out of luck if you want the trait for an build but need to overloads to stay on you. Is there an way to have an aoe stick to an target in gw2? (If you target your self the aoe stays with you if you target another player it moves with them (yes for letting you target the other teams players as well) if you target the ground it stays in that spot)

Making it ground target is the trade off of making it range.  

47 minutes ago, Twilightmage.8309 said:

especially with the new spear mechanics it just makes sense for ranged overloads to combo with the etching system of spear since they both build in power as you stay attuned.

Range Tempest with a Spear is the ultimate Mage fantasy. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

or increase the area of earth and fire overload to 240-360 , like water and air , would also help for boon apllication.

what was suggested was an additional option to make it ground targeted, not get rid of the current versions.

1 minute ago, Twilightmage.8309 said:

what was suggested was an additional option to make it ground targeted, not get rid of the current versions.

Ah missed that , good idea as many tempest traits are really underwhelming

Also which they give the same kind of option for sphere from cata to follow you instead of being static aoe.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

Cool idea. I love the D/D melee tempest but having the option to go ranged would come in very handy.

especially in wvw, staff support is quite okay but fire / air and earth you want to mostly place into the enemy blob.

it feels kinda weird to overload fire only for the aura. Still valuable but only half of the effect applies so yeah, why not.

Haha, I posted about this last year and got a very different set of reactions from the community

I think your solution is a nice middle-ground, which allows those who enjoy the class fantasy of being the "center of the storm" to still be that, but for ranged enjoyers to have an option as well.

Ultimately, I'd like to see more traits like Mechanist's Mech Arms: Jade Cannons, which turns a melee something into a ranged something. Willbender having a trait like this for their F1 ability would be game-changing.

Edited by Kagaho.5378

You will not be able to gain your own boons or other effects if you can target the overload at range, plus you will have a field that you want someone to stand in for a whole 8 seconds. This is a band-aid solution to ele's range problems at best and what we actually need is a new elite spec.

Edited by Emberheart.8426

35 minutes ago, Emberheart.8426 said:

You will not be able to gain your own boons or other effects if you can target the overload at range, plus you will have a field that you want someone to stand in for a whole 8 seconds.

And that's why they shouldn't be nerfed if they are ever made ranged. This game needs more strategic positioning and meaningful sacrifices, especially on the mage class. I already play Catalyst like this, I throw the spheres at range quite a lot, which sacrifices the boons on myself in order to do damage and grant boons somewhere else. Tempest would be no different.

• Thanks 3

yes, yes and yes again.

i'm so sick of EVERYTHING since release trying to push ele into close quarters.

ele should be the quintessential mage class, staying back and slinging spells.

instead ALL of our new weapons are melee or close range: sword (melee) hammer (melee/close) warhorn (close) pistol (close)

and ALL three new specs are focused on being in the thick of battle.

Storm's Reach

Air and Fire Overload become ground target skills but can no longer be cast while moving.

Range: 1200

Edited by Liewec.2896

What trait do you give up for this though it cant be something that ppl already use in game types or your going to realy mess things up for ppl current builds. Keep in mind being able to move overload effects is key for spvp and wvw where in pve your target often dose not have an brain so it dose not move and what works well there dose not work any where else.

• Haha 1