Could not be happier for the mesmer spear!!

Novah.2510

I'm just really happy right now with the new mesmer spear. I've been hoping for a dedicated melee aoe wep on mes and finally it's coming. It looked so good in the preview the speed, the agility, every ability. The mechanic sounds amazing and has a lot of depth to it. The animations themselves omg... I always wanted melee staff-like combat on mes similar to the rev's staff and it has that and more. I love all the shards flying around the mes too. The way you can change the phantasm attack and flank was really cool. Mesmer skill names have always been my favorite. I'm loving "Clarity", "Mind the Gap", and can't wait to learn the others. Just want to say thank you so much Anet for this new Mes wep it's a dream come true!💜🥰

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I absolutely agree, it looks great. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the range requirement for getting clarity. Sounds like it's gonna be fairly unreliable in PvP, given how quickly players move. Other than that it looks amazing.

Edited by ascii.1369
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Curunen.8729 said:

Mind the Gap is funny for anyone familiar with London underground xD

Yeah animations look great, not too flashy like others. Hopefully it has some built in evasion on skills too.

My first thought exactly when I saw it. 

I want "doors closing" and "please stay clear" as the follow up skills now.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Varis.5467 said:

My first thought exactly when I saw it. 

I want "doors closing" and "please stay clear" as the follow up skills now.

"Doors closing": You swing the spear from one side, while a phantasmal spear swings in from the other side.

"Please stay clear": AoE knockback.

• Like 1

The things that concern me both with this and the ele spear is the big aoe graphic on the floor.

Does that cover the red "danger" circles you need to avoid?

Not to mention if both an ele and a mesmer are doing those tricks near each other, what happens to ground visibility?

Other than that it looks amazing, and I can't wait for the tryout!

12 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

The things that concern me both with this and the ele spear is the big aoe graphic on the floor.

Does that cover the red "danger" circles you need to avoid?

Not to mention if both an ele and a mesmer are doing those tricks near each other, what happens to ground visibility?

Other than that it looks amazing, and I can't wait for the tryout!

They did mention with elementalist that everyone else sees a significantly toned down version of the graphic, albeit still enough to identify the presence of a combo field.

What if they made the 3 skill blink to 300 range from the center of the target following the strike so you can follow up with the 2 skill at the correct range?  Then make the 5 skill refresh 3 rather than 2, so in the flow of combat you would be able to use 5 to teleport to the target, placing you in position for the melee attack on 3 and ensuring that it's off cooldown, which then positions you at the appropriate range for 2.  Then you can re-engage with the leap on 4.  So, teleport in with 5, evade while striking with 3, blink to 300 range and land 2, then leap back in with 4.  Or, if beginning combat, open at melee with 3-2, 4-5 or 5-4, then 3-2 again. 

Edit: Don't just drop a confused emoji.  If you disagree, now is the time to discuss these skills before they go live.  My thinking here is that it doesn't make a lot of sense and probably won't flow well if we have all of the spear skills designed to either function at melee range or move us into melee range except for the one skill that applies a key buff requiring you to awkwardly position yourself outside of melee range.  So, I thought wouldn't it be better to have a skill that serves as a means of setting that up and wouldn't it further make sense for the 5 skill to refresh that setup?  What do you think?  Am I missing something here?  What would work better?

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Nero.7369 said:

Beautiful Animation, gameplay looks amazing. 

The gameplay part does look like a lot of fun, I love that active style for Mesmer (after all, "the only thing I regret is that I turned down a chance to perform in the circus"). As for the animations...well, I'm glad you got more out of that than I did. Honestly I was very disappointed with the stream, they almost skimmed over Mesmer on the way to the next class like they were in a hurry to be done with it. It didn't help that the entire stream would randomly garble at times, thanks Spectrum! The lancer skill combined with (whatever they're calling the new buff) was barely visible for me, and the whole Mesmer section felt like rushrushrush OMG finally done with that, now on to something interesting. It feels like I got more out of the announcement video than I did from the dev stream. 🙁 

Even so, what I've seen of the land spear makes it more likely that I'll buy the expansion at release if only for that. Still waiting for the demo to find out how it feels to play, but the positioning thing really doesn't look all that different from where you'd already want the outside edges of Bladeturn Requiem or Psychic Force to be on a Virt. If it was a rooting skill it would already be a disaster, but this looks like something that should be fairly easy to get used to positioning.

• Confused 1

On 6/21/2024 at 5:07 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

"Doors closing": You swing the spear from one side, while a phantasmal spear swings in from the other side.

"Please stay clear": AoE knockback.

Honestly, the phantasm skill and the #5 stun skill should be named as such respectively. 🤣

That said I am genuinely happy with what we see so far. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 9:13 PM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

What if they made the 3 skill blink to 300 range from the center of the target following the strike so you can follow up with the 2 skill at the correct range?  Then make the 5 skill refresh 3 rather than 2, so in the flow of combat you would be able to use 5 to teleport to the target, placing you in position for the melee attack on 3 and ensuring that it's off cooldown, which then positions you at the appropriate range for 2.  Then you can re-engage with the leap on 4.  So, teleport in with 5, evade while striking with 3, blink to 300 range and land 2, then leap back in with 4.  Or, if beginning combat, open at melee with 3-2, 4-5 or 5-4, then 3-2 again. 

Edit: Don't just drop a confused emoji.  If you disagree, now is the time to discuss these skills before they go live.  My thinking here is that it doesn't make a lot of sense and probably won't flow well if we have all of the spear skills designed to either function at melee range or move us into melee range except for the one skill that applies a key buff requiring you to awkwardly position yourself outside of melee range.  So, I thought wouldn't it be better to have a skill that serves as a means of setting that up and wouldn't it further make sense for the 5 skill to refresh that setup?  What do you think?  Am I missing something here?  What would work better?

Thinking from a wvw/pvp perspective, but this should still hold up in general PvE.

A simple work around with the current version we have seen would be:

Pre-cast 2 > adjust position via blink/jaunt as required > cast 5 to stun and position for 2 (2 is refreshed by 5) > cast 2 and finish with a double phantasm 4

This way 3 is reserved as a back up to cover reposition if your stun did not land and therefore you missed the burst window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Varis.5467 said:

Thinking from a wvw/pvp perspective, but this should still hold up in general PvE.

A simple work around with the current version we have seen would be:

Pre-cast 2 > adjust position via blink/jaunt as required > cast 5 to stun and position for 2 (2 is refreshed by 5) > cast 2 and finish with a double phantasm 4

This way 3 is reserved as a back up to cover reposition if your stun did not land and therefore you missed the burst window. 

It might make sense to take a utility slot with a long cooldown simply for movement and then use that cooldown to position to secure a kill in PvP/WvW, but it never makes sense in PvE.  Not that you couldn't do something like dodge backward to position, but as I said it's awkward.  If one of the skills on the set were designed as a setup to position for the 2 skill, I think it might flow better.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:13 PM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

dit: Don't just drop a confused emoji.  If you disagree, now is the time to discuss these skills before they go live.  My thinking here is that it doesn't make a lot of sense and probably won't flow well if we have all of the spear skills designed to either function at melee range or move us into melee range except for the one skill that applies a key buff requiring you to awkwardly position yourself outside of melee range

I’m surprised this positional requirement is not getting more attention, it’s an interesting mechanic but it’s gonna feel real limiting, being a melee weapon with such requirement. 

Mesmer spear to me has the most potiental game wise I feel, with it bringing a weapon the Mesmer can’t currently fill, while being close enough in what Mesmer good at to fit into its builds. 

but this mechanic rly has me on the fence regarding use beyond PvP 

• Like 1

I don't know, strictly in pve everything looks good but that distance requirement in skill is... concerning, generally such stuff doesn't translate well into practical usage and become clanky. but we will see, hope for best. Like mirage ambush albeit power mirage isn't as great atm, traits aren't tuned that way don't know what they are doing with it.  hope it doesn't turn into go back d&s and gs and actually become just as good alternative 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:00 PM, ascii.1369 said:

I absolutely agree, it looks great. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the range requirement for getting clarity. Sounds like it's gonna be fairly unreliable in PvP, given how quickly players move. Other than that it looks amazing.

Yeah it's super unreliable in PvP cause of the constant enemy movement and it's slow to cast. 

Other than that, it has a lot of potential cause the rest of kit is fun to play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunny.9834 said:

Yeah it's super unreliable in PvP cause of the constant enemy movement and it's slow to cast. 

Other than that, it has a lot of potential cause the rest of kit is fun to play. 

Hmm I’d say the first bit kinda is troubling, I doubt that spears gonna be great without that mechanic happening, that doesn’t mean it won’t get rethought out however 

• Like 1