How do the account swim-speed infusions work? [Merged]

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Same thing happened to me and it was very confusing. As best I can tell, the +20 account boost is NOT an actual infusion. It's just a permanent boost to any +15 account wide infusions you have. So you need to also get a  +15 account wide infusion for that +20 boost to be applied to. I was not able to find anything that indicated my +15 account infusion was actually now a +20 infusion but that is what seems to be going on. Here's the wiki page about all this. 

Still confusing .......it's account wide in what sense ? You should have a "+15 account wide infusion" on every toon you have or a normal +10 Swim-Speed Infusion in order that +20 account wide infusion  applies account wide ?

Edited by Cobra.6509

You basically have three things you can purchase:

1. The regular Swim Speed infusions, which increase your swim speed by the % stated on the infusion itself.
  2. The "account-wide" Swim Speed infusion, which increases your swim speed by your current account-wide swim speed bonus (default: 15%)
  3. Upgrades to your account-wide Swim Speed, which bring it up to 20%, then 25%, and finally 30%.

So:

For example:

• You have three characters:
    • One with an aquabreather infused with a regular +15 swim speed infusion.
    • Two with an aquabreather infused with an account-wide swim speed infusion.
  • At the start:
    • Your account-wide bonus is by default +15.
    • So at the beginning, all 3 characters enjoy a +15 swim speed bonus.
  • Then you purchase the +20 account-wide upgrade.
    • The first character still has only a +15 swim speed bonus, because regular infusions do not care about account-wide bonuses.
    • The other two characters will see their swim speed increase from +15 to +20 as their account-wide infusion now use the new account-wide bonus of +20.

In effect, account-wide swim speed infusions allow you to benefit from the increase on multiple characters for much cheaper:

• An account-wide infusion costs one +15 regular infusion and 10 globs of ectoplasm.
    • Since it has a default bonus of +15%, you're basically just paying 10 globs extra for the same bonus.
  • Upgrading the account-wide bonus to +20 costs one +20 regular infusion and 30 globs.
    • So you're paying 30 globs extra so all characters with an account-wide infusion can now benefit from the +20 bonus, instead of just one character.
  • For example, let's say you have two characters:
    • Costs of infusions:
      • A +15 regular infusion costs 32 +10 infusions.
      • A +20 regular infusion costs 32 +15 infusions, so 32*32 = 1024 +10 infusions.
      • An account-wide infusion costs 1x +15 infusion, so 32 +10 infusions (plus 10 globs of ectoplasm)
    • If you buy two +20 regular infusions for your two characters, you'll pay:
      • 1024 +10 infusions for one +20 infusion, so 2*1024 = 2048 +10 infusions total.
    • If you buy two account-wide infusions and then upgrade the account-wide bonus to +20, you'll pay:
      • 32*2 = 64 +10 infusions for the account-wide infusions, plus 2*10 = 20 ectos
      • 1 +20 infusion, so 1024 +10 infusions for the upgrade, plus 30 ectos
      • = 1088 +10 infusions and 50 ectos, which is way cheaper than 2048 +10 infusions for the same result.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

It's nice to see I'm not the only one confused by this.  I was excited when I first heard about the account wide swim-speed bonus, so I hope this is just a bug that will get fixed.

It would be nice to hear something official from ANet about this - even it's only stating that they know something isn't working right.  

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

So why does the tooltip for the +15% infusion say "raises swim speed by 15% PLUS the account wide bonus"?

That would suggest that if you've got the 20% and you equp a 15% infusion, you get 35% increased swim speed. But the 20% account upgrade says "raises your swim speed to 20%"

They can't both be right, so which one did they mess up?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

So why does the tooltip for the +15% infusion say "raises swim speed by 15% PLUS the account wide bonus"?

That would suggest that if you've got the 20% and you equp a 15% infusion, you get 35% increased swim speed. But the 20% account upgrade says "raises your swim speed to 20%"

They can't both be right, so which one did they mess up?

The "plus" is a tooltip error. I'm guessing they wanted to include the default 15% in the tooltip, but it should say:

"Increases your swim speed by your account-wide bonus."

with at worst

"(Your default account-wide bonus is 15% and can be increased)."

and at best

"(Your current account-wide bonus is x%)."

The wiki ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account_Swim-Speed_Infusion ) does mention the "plus" is an error.

19 hours ago, Futeko.9405 said:

"Increases your swim speed by your account-wide bonus."

Even that would still be contradictory. If it said "to your account wide bonus" it would at least make sense, I guess.

But what if your account bonus is +20 and you equip a +21. What happens then? Does it go down to +20? Does it ignore the account number?

Once again ANET have designed something unnecessarily convoluted and contradictory. What's happened with their design team recently?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Even that would still be contradictory. If it said "to your account wide bonus" it would at least make sense, I guess.

But what if your account bonus is +20 and you equip a +21. What happens then? Does it go down to +20? Does it ignore the account number?

Once again ANET have designed something unnecessarily convoluted and contradictory. What's happened with their design team recently?

Nah, this is not really that hard to understand. When you check the +20/25/30 boost description, it says "Raises the swim-speed bonus of account swim-speed infusions to 20%.". The "account swim-speed infusion" is the red one which is +15. If you equip +21 infusion, it means you didn't equip the account one, so the bonus doesn't apply.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for asking dumb, I just can't seem to get my head around this system. For simplicities sake, let's say I have 3 characters. Two have some "i don't give a kitten about underwater min-maxing, green breather for karma will do" equipped (no infusion slot). One has an aquabreather with an infusion slot and I equip a account wide swim speed infusion to it. 

Now I would expect all my characters to gain the swim speed bonus, but from what I read in this thread it seems, that the account wide infusion basicly means "grants acces to your account wide swim speed rank for THIS character only". Am I right here?

6 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

Sorry for asking dumb, I just can't seem to get my head around this system. For simplicities sake, let's say I have 3 characters. Two have some "i don't give a kitten about underwater min-maxing, green breather for karma will do" equipped (no infusion slot). One has an aquabreather with an infusion slot and I equip a account wide swim speed infusion to it. 

Now I would expect all my characters to gain the swim speed bonus, but from what I read in this thread it seems, that the account wide infusion basicly means "grants acces to your account wide swim speed rank for THIS character only". Am I right here?

👇

On 6/26/2024 at 11:06 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Didn't try it but pretty sure you need to buy that "base" red account swim speed infusion (which in reality is already +15 swim speed) on every character that you want to be affected and then buying the "account wide +20/25/30" upgrades affect all of the red ones you equipped.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

Does this mean you did try it and/or are sure now? 😃

The upgrades work on the slotted base account swim-speed infusions. Is there still any part of the system you can't get your head around? 😉 

There was also this post directly above your initial quesiton:

On 7/6/2024 at 4:30 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Nah, this is not really that hard to understand. When you check the +20/25/30 boost description, it says "Raises the swim-speed bonus of account swim-speed infusions to 20%.". The "account swim-speed infusion" is the red one which is +15. If you equip +21 infusion, it means you didn't equip the account one, so the bonus doesn't apply.

I think that also answers it?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1

Account swimspeed infusions at base level are the same as the regular +15% swim speed infusions. There is no benefit to buying these until you have upgraded at least 1nce.

The upgrades affect any "account swimspeed infusion". Regular swim speed infusions are not affected.

This means your character needs to:

1. Have an asceneded item to slot this infusion into (ideally the aqua breather)

2. Any character which is supposed to gain the benefit of the account upgrades needs to have an "account swimspeed infusion" equipped

3. You need to have purchased at least 1 upgrade worth of account swim speed before the account swimspeed infusions are of any value over regular +15s

This also means:

1. Regular swimspeed infusions are unaffected by the account upgrade

2. Upgrading regular swimspeed infusions to +16, +17, +18, +19 or +20 is pointless for swim speed once you have the first buff since getting the account swimspeed infusion puts you to +%20 if you have the first upgrade 

TL;DR:

The account swim speed buffs increase the swim speed granted by the account swim speed infusions. It's a cheaper way to get multiple character a predefined fixed rank of swim speed (20%, 25% and 30%) while only requiring the purchase cost of an account swimspeed infusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The upgrades work on the slotted base account swim-speed infusions. Is there still any part of the system you can't get your head around? 😉 

There was also this post directly above your initial quesiton:

I think that also answers it?

12 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Account swimspeed infusions at base level are the same as the regular +15% swim speed infusions. There is no benefit to buying these until you have upgraded at least 1nce.

The upgrades affect any "account swimspeed infusion". Regular swim speed infusions are not affected.

This means your character needs to:

1. Have an asceneded item to slot this infusion into (ideally the aqua breather)

2. Any character which is supposed to gain the benefit of the account upgrades needs to have an "account swimspeed infusion" equipped

3. You need to have purchased at least 1 upgrade worth of account swim speed before the account swimspeed infusions are of any value over regular +15s

This also means:

1. Regular swimspeed infusions are unaffected by the account upgrade

2. Upgrading regular swimspeed infusions to +16, +17, +18, +19 or +20 is pointless for swim speed once you have the first buff since getting the account swimspeed infusion puts you to +%20 if you have the first upgrade 

TL;DR:

The account swim speed buffs increase the swim speed granted by the account swim speed infusions. It's a cheaper way to get multiple character a predefined fixed rank of swim speed (20%, 25% and 30%) while only requiring the purchase cost of an account swimspeed infusion.

Think I got it now. So it is as I feared, quite a weird system for an account wide benefit. Guess I'll just stick to my skimmer 😄