WvW/PvP Update Preview Stream at Noon Pacific Time Today

You know, scaling is interesting, but why is the range so massive (300-700%??) I feel like this kind of variation will lead to all kinds of memes.

Then again, this is Anet. I feel like game balance positions should require some remedial courses in math maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

You know, scaling is interesting, but why is the range so massive (300-700%??) I feel like this kind of variation will lead to all kinds of memes.

Then again, this is Anet. I feel like game balance positions should require some remedial courses in math maybe.

Yeah the 6 to 42, and 9 to 33 VP is pretty insane. Expecting to see some blowouts like the old days.

• Like 2

People say the issue is that 50v 50 is the same as 5v5 content but that is not the issue. With the issues in balance with alliances the top teams have almost 24 hour support so against them it is constant outnumbered in off hours. This change in scoring is designed to make it so that the amount of impact is split based on total population and representational impact. It will be adjusted if there any any problems but there is a reason it is getting added to the game and anet has been able to polish features that do not always have the intended results.

Edited by ChrisWhitey.9076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

People say the issue is that 50v 50 is the same as 5v5 content but that is not the issue. With the issues in balance with alliances the top teams have almost 24 hour support so against them it is constant outnumbered in off hours. This change in scoring is designed to make it so that the amount of impact is split based on total population and representational impact. It will be adjusted if there any any problems but there is a reason it is getting added to the game and anet has been able to polish features that do not always have the intended results.

Well, you can ask yourself this: 

How many times have Lyssa lost in prime?

Because that's the only place where the other teams could "balance" score, if that's the issue. Yeah... It's not going to split, is it? It's probably just gonna make the stronger server get more points pretty much.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yeah I've been looking at that and wondering why they had to increase numbers so much. Would make more sense to run something more restrictive like x1 x2 or x3 multiplier, so the numbers doesn't run as extreme. But I'm assuming they've used their metrics to see how many more times players are online at which times, and multiplied it roughly up. So if there's a x7 multiplier for a skirmish, they probably have x7 amount of player activity registered during that period.

Guess we'll see what happens, and how big the point differences will be, and if it really matters. On the positive side, this is one mechanic most people largely doesn't care much about, so I guess there won't be many that care if it gets screwed up.

5 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Because that's the only place where the other teams could "balance" score, if that's the issue. Yeah... It's not going to split, is it? It's probably just gonna make the stronger server get more points pretty much.

That is true but also server stacking large alliances in off hours was done to ensure that all hours won matches even though the k-train of 50 v 5 v 5 had nothing to fight. If it no longer matters I am sure large off hours will drop and 20v20v20 will be the overall balance in off hours with the changes...or everyone just quits instead who knows.

edit: before anyone says the prime time hours will become more imbalanced they are already queue locked but should that change we could see some changes to how points are spread.

Edited by ChrisWhitey.9076
Prime time comment edit
  • Confused 1

Wanna know what's even more mind boggling about this...

July 3rd they stated...

The team-creation algorithm is performing as expected, and most teams are showing reasonably similar performance in terms of player hours, average war scores, and victory points.

Why now introduce a change that could potentially bust open scoring by a large margin?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

On the positive side, this is one mechanic most people largely doesn't care much about, so I guess there won't be many that care if it gets screwed up.

And yes, in fact in a PvP mode who do you want to look at the scoring mechanic? nobody. That seems more than fair to me.

8 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

So if there's a x7 multiplier for a skirmish, they probably have x7 amount of player activity registered during that period

which is crazy. Maybe it's different for you in NA than for us in EU. Maybe it's just the nightmare of not having a connection in the EU that we drag with us. But is it possible that you've never had that 2 hours of gameplay since the reset and you're heavily outnumbered all the time? And do you pretend that it is normal to pay this condition of inferiority x 7 times? So it takes you 14 hours (if you're lucky with the number of players at your disposal) to recover afterwards? 

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Yeah I've been looking at that and wondering why they had to increase numbers so much. Would make more sense to run something more restrictive like x1 x2 or x3 multiplier, so the numbers doesn't run as extreme. But I'm assuming they've used their metrics to see how many more times players are online at which times, and multiplied it roughly up. So if there's a x7 multiplier for a skirmish, they probably have x7 amount of player activity registered during that period.

Guess we'll see what happens, and how big the point differences will be, and if it really matters. On the positive side, this is one mechanic most people largely doesn't care much about, so I guess there won't be many that care if it gets screwed up.

We fought for even time periods for a long time to try and handle run away matches. This feels like they didn't see this as balance and wanted even more emphasis on certain time zones. Maybe too much input from select groups. 

• Like 2