My server is empty - A solution to balance, and empty teams

I am on an empty server because I didn't join any alliance. Why am I forced to join one, and listen to cringe people on Discord just so that I don't end up in an empty server?

I thought the whole point of the new system was to prevent empty servers.

The issue is the exact same as PvP. Anet is designing fancy algorithms that just don't work with current population.

Problem 1 - Balance

There are probably less than 500 players both capable and active in the EU. The size of an alliance is currently 500.

For anything close to balanced matchups to work. You probably have to limit WvW guild sizes to something like 100, and that's being generous.

Problem 2 - Population

There are still completely empty servers with no queues during prime time. The player base is just too small. We probably have to remove yet another tier.

Solution

Nobody cares about winning weekly matchups. So what about making mega servers just like PvE?

1. You can join any squad in whatever map they are. If it's full, you just queue up for the map. If not you are put in another non full map. You'd always be able to play in a lively map because off hours would be reduced to 1 live matchup.

2. Add competitions/events every 5 hours where points matter. You can "prepare" a map in advance of the event by upping structures to T3. If your team wins you get cool rewards like gold / large amount of experience track / a new currency for fancy new skins etc. Maps are reset to T0 after the event.

3. We can run a pilot in Eotm by simply enabling reward tracks, along with special rewards. This is also a huge opportunity to revive the map which is literally made for boon melee trains.

There you have it folks. Fun and balance in WvW.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

I am on an empty server because I didn't join any alliance. Why am I forced to join one, and listen to cringe people on Discord just so that I don't end up in an empty server?

I thought the whole point of the new system was to prevent empty servers.

You assume that every guild and alliance is cringe on Discord or even that all of them require you to be on Discord? 

My guild has a lot of fun on Discord but we don't require you to be on it. We also let you play whatever build you like. You're not even demanded to be on tag.

Sounds like you stay alone because you assume the worst in people. Terrible way to live your life. You will miss out on so much. Good luck with that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I think OP is saying that the two alternatives are:

• Empty server

OR

• Join a big guild or alliance guild (which come with all the good and all the hairy)

they're not saying they're experiencing both at the same time. 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Willow that is right. Alright, let me break it up for the people that don't understand.

The issue is the exact same as PvP. Anet is designing fancy algorithms that just don't work with current population.

Problem 1 - Balance

There are probably less than 500 players both capable and active in the EU. The size of an alliance is currently 500.

For anything close to balanced matchups to work. You probably have to limit WvW guild sizes to something like 100, and that's being generous.

Problem 2 - Population

There are still completely empty servers with no queues during prime time. The player base is just too small. We probably have to remove yet another tier.

Solution

Nobody cares about winning weekly matchups. So what about making mega servers just like PvE?

1. You can join any squad in whatever map they are. If it's full, you just queue up for the map. If not you are put in another non full map.

2. Add competitions/events every 5 hours where points matter. You can "prepare" a map in advance of the event by upping structures to T3. If your team wins you get cool rewards like gold / large amount of experience track / a new currency for fancy new skins etc. Maps are reset to T0 after the event.

There you have it folks. Fun and balance in WvW.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

Nobody cares about winning weekly matchups.

People keep saying that then they complain about not winning weekly matchups for some reason.

If you had randomly ended up on the same team as one of the strongest alliances on a dominating world, I am fairly sure this thread would not exist. 

But granted it would be interesting if Anet could at least give us the population variance data between all the teams. More likely than not, the population is there in your world it’s just woefully inefficient. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

you know, since we don't have stable teams anymore, dynamic servers actually would make sense. They'd still have to solve the "overflow map" problem (got one shard at 100%, can't join friend or guildies, also can't see what is going on due to so many visual effects; got other shard at 5% and it's in danger of failing the event due to not enough players). But it would be closer to being balanced. 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

It would still exist yes. I was in a full server before the alliance. Stomping empty servers is also boring.

Before? What about last month? Must have been on an even more empty team, given the extra tier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Spadassin.4076 changed the title to My server is empty - A solution to balance, and empty teams
Posted (edited)

I am in Silent Wood right now - 0.5 kdr after the weekend.

I was in Bava Nisos last mu, there were more people, but still not enough and terrible player quality.

WvW has both a quality and quantity balance issue. PvE like mega servers can fix this. It's also an opportunity to revive Eotm. It could be a pilot.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

According to guilds self-declaration on gw2mists  you have 11 wvw guilds on Silent Wood, 2 of them with over 300 member. That's not empty, and according to gw2matchup you even won 10 skirmishes. 

It has the lowest number of kills and kdr among all the servers across all matchups. It's the most empty one.

Why are you even bringing this up? What point are you trying to make lol? That alliance matchups are fun and balanced?

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

It has the lowest number of kills and kdr among all the servers across all matchups. It's the most empty one.

Activity is Kills + Deaths and in dying-activity you aren't that bad 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We don't even have queues during prime time... I still think megaservers are a better alternative - it needs less coordination, it has less friction, and it's dynamic so more fun (i.e you could still play in a full map at 8am because there would be only 1 live matchup).

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)

Honestly, it's a great idea. I am glad I am not the only one who thought of this, and would love to hear Anet's rational for not pursuing it.

It's the only fix possible at this point. I wouldn't use guilds though but literally just squads. It has to be really simple, and friction free.

- The hardcore blob players will still be able to play together by locking a new map.

- The structure players will be happy to up stuff T3 in preparation of the event.

- Roamers will always have ennemies to gank / duel. You'd even be able to duel your friends/guildmates any time by simply joining the other color.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

wound love to hear Anet's rational for not pursuing it.

You can read the whole thread: Not everyone likes it as usual with wvw-proposals. In fact I think a main reason for 12 years wvw without major changes is:

Whatever you want to change has far more opposition than support. Be it that old proposal or any newer one or current WR. Everyone say we need change, but any concret change is rejected.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1