Update on Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds Homesteads Features

Very glad that that aspect of Homesteads will get more time in the oven vs being released undercooked, janky, or straight up broken; it was the right call to make. People may not sing praises when things are released in normal working order, but boooooooy do they ever remember when things go poorly.

• Like 9

Honestly, that's a fair trade off. Better to take the time that's needed than to put it out and it be broken day one. Plus the decorations, while would have been cool at launch, I think the QoL coming out beforehand is much better and resources better spent in terms of priority. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Rubi.

I know y'all have this all planned out for many months/years into the future but I'm just gonna pop this here right at the start of it all- please oh please do remember that decor includes materials when it comes to new housing decor items introduced down the line. As someone super into housing in a previous game having new materials to build brand new structures was a huge deal. For me a plank of wood was more useful than a differently shaped table... not to say themed furniture isn't a good thing but honestly give me a new stone arch or a fancy pillar or a cone made of... cheddar cheese any day of the week!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Avenrise.3592 said:

I know y'all have this all planned out for many months/years into the future but I'm just gonna pop this here right at the start of it all- please oh please do remember that decor includes materials when it comes to new housing decor items introduced down the line. As someone super into housing in a previous game having new materials to build brand new structures was a huge deal. For me a plank of wood was more useful than a differently shaped table... not to say themed furniture isn't a good thing but honestly give me a new stone arch or a fancy pillar or a cone made of... cheddar cheese any day of the week!

Agreed! Different sized windows, planks, different materials, square, rectangle, thin, long, round boulders, thin boulders, green grass, yellow grass, shrubs, I would love them all!

• Like 5

Bit of a shame considering that was one of the most exciting prospects in terms of getting me off my kitten to make more legendaries and such... I guess it's just more time to do it but we all know that means being lazy until a week before they ship

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Hey Rubi! Thanks for the update. I was wondering if I heard this correctly in the homestead stream, that there will be another tier for the homestead mastery in one of the quarterly updates! I guess I can check later when I find more time.

Hey Rubi,
is there any chance Basenji could have a kennel or bed by the fireplace (Just to sleep on our bed)? I guess the actual question is, "Will novelties have a place in the Homestead?" Like the model of the Zephyr Sanctum, the Water Fight Balloon Bucket, Bobblehead Laboratory, Basenji Whistle or the various boom boxes?

• Like 2

The grind to get that last trait line is real.  Guess I am no lifing for a week or so.  Get your candy corn, snowflakes and Zeitaffy out. 

If only there were a way to gain mastery traits from PvP like you can with the Elite Specializations.  Anet Plz 🙏

edit: I bet more people would PvP if you had that as a reward.  Just saying. 

Edited by Charmain D LA.4501

I honestly like that we got the gather all earlier, and I'm not too sad about not getting armor stands at launch. I think the main concerns that I still have with homesteads are:

1. Alts remembering where they are parked in the homestead. I don't like that they have a pre-determined spawn location, and that they'll reset every time I leave the instance even if I lead them to a new place. If it's not possible to have them be where they logged out, then I'd like a few different places I can choose to have them appear and not have to repositioning them over and over.

2. Have an option to turn off certain home instance unlocks. I'd like to have the option of not showing certain unlocked cats or even nodes in the homestead. This one is probably not feasible at all, though.

3. Allow us to park specific mounts in the home instance, not just the active ones for the character using the instance. I already see my active mount skins all the time. I want to be able to see some of the awesome looking mount skins that I don't usually use because they don't fit my look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• ArenaNet Staff
1 hour ago, Avenrise.3592 said:

Cheddar Cheese Cone, got it. 

1 hour ago, Vad.2958 said:

Hey Rubi! Thanks for the update. I was wondering if I heard this correctly in the homestead stream, that there will be another tier for the homestead mastery in one of the quarterly updates! I guess I can check later when I find more time.

You heard correctly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1. I would like our Hall of Monuments decorations from GW1 to be also available in Homestead. ^_~ Why? Because! 😛

2. Something to give or assign characters in the Homestead to do instead of just lazily camping there. Haha. NO, this is NOT “idle game” as some people are quick to assume and dismiss without bothering to listen and understand first /facepalm. It can be easily as something like venturing to the lands unknown and returning after XX days with wild stories. Or, it can be a special Homestead decoration “unlock” that only them can potentially find. NOTHING whatsoever that impacts the main game, zero, nada, zilch.

Or, they'll do some animation like blacksmithing or cooking depending on what is the active crafting on the character. Then they actually produce these items but without any value, all for decoration and animation. Just to avoid them looking lazy doing nothing in the homestead. We can even tie that in to #1 / #5. Before we can display our collections, the character in the homestead should make it first (which can take hours or days), probably we have to find materials for it. Once done, we can display it. The color will also determine which color we gave.

It could be anything!

3. Feature wherein we can set the background music, just like in that abandoned area in Elona that I can't even remember anymore. Might as well include everything that was there in Homestead.

4. Hologram news, that was introduced in Cantha. Would be awesome to have that and get updates and whispers and crazy stuff.

5. Building on #1, our GW2 collections can also be displayed. But should be separate from the GW1 collections.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Since you now have extra 3 months to work on armor stands, please consider adding the option to "inspect cosmetics" that were applied onto them, with a button to instantly copy the appearance onto your current equipment loadout in a "pending application" state. This could be an immersive replacement for the "fashion templates" that players have been asking for for a while.

Or just make the actual fashion templates and monetize them to hell and back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3