Status of Each Race and Future expansion hints [SPOILER Lore]

EdwinLi.1284

11 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Anet also has explicitly had only one "pure evil" race, that being the Krait.

And they also explicitly stated that was purely because their government and culture purges all other thoughts and their children are never allowed to see any outside views.

Even then, I think it's more "pure evil towards outsiders" - they do seem to have a functional society rather than being every krait for themselves.

14 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Even then, I think it's more "pure evil towards outsiders" - they do seem to have a functional society rather than being every krait for themselves.

I would love to see the actual homelands and societies of "evil" races like the krait or centaurs, rather than just the military outposts we've seen so far. I think that could lend itself to some interesting storytelling. Show us some krait or centaur children/mothers/fathers/partners rather than just "Krait Nimross #1002" OR "Centaur Archer #2456."

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Indeed, it's kinda (crudely) like the Imperium from 40k lol. Extremely xenophobic culture and religion, but with little backstabbing or infighting. Break religion, you simply get killed. IIRC anet stated or implied the Toxic Krait are all considered enemies of the regular Krait, to be killed on sight?

• Like 1

spoilers for icebrood saga and janthir wilds

Spoiler

one thing to note about  the upcoming charr storylines is that all current imperators are female, including smodur's replacement, mia kindleshot. this will probably create a huge shift in charr society as even after the rebellion against the shamans and the treatment of females as equals, the bulk of charr culture seems to have been driven by male ideologies. the only reason malice supported smodur was because at the time he was putting on a pretty good show, and she stopped as soon as he showed his true colors, and although it took crecia much longer to see bangar's flaws, she did eventually seem to come around as well.

we don't really know what the iron legion imperator is like, since as far as i know, she only appears for a while during the personal story and doesn't really say much. crecia claims that mia is very similar to smodur, however when talking to her she is also emotional and misses her warband, suggesting some differences.

i guess the big question is: how much of charr society is a ripple-effect of things like the shaman caste, the searing and so on, and how much is yet to be determined? as we've seen from the olmakahn; the charr do at least possess traits like material instinct, its just been supressed by the legions' way of life. i wouldn't be surprised if the entire concept of family becomes something of a backbone in the reforming of their culture, or even the cause of another civil war.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Efram Greetsglory says hello.

spoilers for icebrood saga

Spoiler

they were playing around with the flame legion being an official legion, but it wasn't perfectly set in stone. efram is even somewhat resistant to it in the final charr mission in fireheart rise, saying that many will still remember them as the gold legion, but does seem to accept his role as imperator. however after this he states their priority is to find a new home, and the last we see of him is at the crown pavilion, worrying that the festivities will "spark old flames".

that was ..almost five years ago. it would be nice if they would explore this story again, but it seems like arenanet has put it on the shelf for now.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

4 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

they were playing around with the flame legion being an official legion, but it wasn't perfectly set in stone. efram is even somewhat resistant to it in the final charr mission in fireheart rise, saying that many will still remember them as the gold legion, but does seem to accept his role as imperator. however after this he states their priority is to find a new home, and the last we see of him is at the crown pavilion, worrying that the festivities will "spark old flames".

that was ..almost five years ago. it would be nice if they would explore this story again, but it seems like arenanet has put it on the shelf for now.

It's a bit of a blink-and-you-miss-it, but either Crecia or Malice do describe Efram as the Flame Imperator in Janthir Wilds (I think it's in one of the optional conversations prior to one of the Tyrian Alliance meetings). I suspect they both have an attitude that if the Flame leadership is genuine about reforming and reintegration, they'd rather keep the legion intact than trying to disband it and possibly stirring up resistance to the attempt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It's a bit of a blink-and-you-miss-it, but either Crecia or Malice do describe Efram as the Flame Imperator in Janthir Wilds (I think it's in one of the optional conversations prior to one of the Tyrian Alliance meetings). I suspect they both have an attitude that if the Flame leadership is genuine about reforming and reintegration, they'd rather keep the legion intact than trying to disband it and possibly stirring up resistance to the attempt.

that is going to be a issue if this Charr expansion ends up having the Titan involved because that may mean we will face the Fire Titans for this expansion and the Flame Legion may end up splitting between those who worship the Titans and those who want to reform.

That will also cause distrust among the Flame Legion that follow Efram. 

I do not see the news about the Titan's return in this expansion going very well with the Charr since all regions have obtained this news by now.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

that is going to be a issue if this Charr expansion ends up having the Titan involved because that may mean we will face the Fire Titans for this expansion and the Flame Legion may end up splitting between those who worship the Titans and those who want to reform.

That will also cause distrust among the Flame Legion that follow Efram. 

I do not see the news about the Titan's return in this expansion going very well with the Charr since all regions have obtained this news by now.

The problem being "Those that worship the titans/destroyers/other god figures" are the minority. And those ones were content to barricade themselves inside the Flame Citadel and wait stuff out.

• Like 1

I think another issue there is that even the Flame Legion fanatics have accepted that the titans weren't actually gods. In EotN, they'd abandoned the titans (even though there was one still around) and were looking for new gods and chose destroyers... but even then, they were primarily looking to be in control themselves and the Destroyers were primarily intended as something they could present to the other charr as gods that granted the shamans legitimacy. On GW2 release, they were trying to ascend one of their own as a god.

In short, even the shamans had decided that the charr shouldn't be turning to non-charr for leadership. The distinction was that the shamans still wanted a theocracy with themselves on top, while the other legions preferred secular military government. 

• Like 1